Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MagLev C [Trial]

Post by twototwenty »

I don't know about other states, but New York has released its official list of events for the coming year, and MagLev is on it as an official (non-trial) event.
ahoback
Division: C
State: KY

Post by ahoback »

But hasn't NY been known to have a few more/different events than others in the nation?
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

Not in my experience, although that certainly might have occurred before I began science olympiad...In the time I've done scioly, New York's only unique events were its trial events.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

Ive heard stories of new York dropping certain national events... But this is a national event next season, right?
quizbowl

Post by quizbowl »

iwonder wrote:Ive heard stories of new York dropping certain national events... But this is a national event next season, right?
Just a clarification - in the past years there have been no examples of New York dropping national events. You might be confusing us with North Carolina.
And in regards to the trials - NY is usually smart in choosing the events, many of them become national events. MagLev was a trial for the past two years, Protein was a trial in 2010, Sumo was a trial for god knows how many years; Geologic Mapping (which I'm pretty sure will return as a trial this year) is projected to be a National trial event, and a full event in the 2013-2014 season, replacing Remote Sensing.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

iwonder wrote:Ive heard stories of new York dropping certain national events... But this is a national event next season, right?
That is what we are discussing - ahoback heard a rumor (note: emphasis on the rumor) that MagLev might be dropped as a national event due to rule complications., and had asked fif anyone knew anything about it. I simply had brought up that New York has already announced that it will run Maglev as a non-trial state event. Furthermore, I find it unlikely that it will be dropped, because New York has run it the past two years pretty smoothly. However, I am a mere competitor; I by no means have the "inside scoop" on this.
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

SOINC.ORG posted the events last month that will be used this year. Maglev is one of them. I very seriously doubt if they would back track now as it would have to be replaced by another event and the committees have held their meeting after the 2012 nationals.

Batteries- Why would anyone want to make their own 9 volt battery when you can buy the exact same thing in one nice little shape. If you want a bundled one, go to battery world and they will make one for you.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

It's interesting how certain 'behind the scenes' conversations get leaked and twisted around a bit. To put this rumor to bed, I'll emphasize that MagLev WILL BE an event next year. We did have significant conversations over the past few weeks about MagLev, and not having it as an event was an option on the table at some point. However we have made some significant revisions to the rules that were tested at the Summer Institute and think we have a really great resulting event.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

Great, thanks for the resolution, chalker.
As for the batteries, retired1, I think the question was more of "is it ok if I package my batteries myself" than "can I make my own batteries", as the rules of the trial event explicitly state that you can't make your own batteries.
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

OK, why would you desire to repackage batteries? I can not see the advantage. What am I missing?

Return to “2012 Build Events”