MagLev C [Trial]

Coach Marz
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MagLev C [Trial]

Post by Coach Marz »

JTMess wrote:Do the rules allow for computer-like parts such as a speed controller? We are attempting a set-up using a car that is remotely controlled through a speed controller. Although it doesn't seem like rc cars would be allowed, we didn't find anything in the rules that specifically banned it. Thanks for any opinions you may have!
There is nothing specific in the rules banning the use of a remote control to operate the car. They may be used. Just make sure that all rules are followed in the remainder of the build, as to not get knocked down a tier.- Event Supervisor
pjgscioisamazing
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by pjgscioisamazing »

Coach Marz wrote:
baker wrote:Is the "sled" provided by the event supers or are we responsible to bring a sled?
The sled will be provided at the state competition. There will be two tracks with the same width on both. Teams will be allowed to balance and adjust cars, slide them back and forth with sled attached to create the best flow of movement, all within the time provided. Prior to the run, students will NOT be allowed to turn cars on, as this will influence prediction times.
Will we be able to choose which of the two tracks we do our runs on?
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
Pi_Lord
Division: B
State: PA

Post by Pi_Lord »

Just a tip we learned last year for making the maglev, put the magnets ABOVE whatever sheet material (balsa works fine) you are using as a base. Also be careful not to let the fan blades hit the side of the track, as last year our team was placed far behind due to the breaking of our good fan. :ugeek:
justinbeiberfan1337
Division: B
State: PA

Post by justinbeiberfan1337 »

luckisdedication wrote:What were the fastest maglev times anyone saw?
One pulled 250g in 1 second at Eastern LI regionals
last year our teams maglev was pulling that in under 3/4 of a second, however we broke our fan blades on the side of the track and had to switch to a very weak backup fan a week prior to regionals, and ended up stationary at nationals. :lol:
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

pjgscioisamazing wrote:
Coach Marz wrote:
baker wrote:Is the "sled" provided by the event supers or are we responsible to bring a sled?
The sled will be provided at the state competition. There will be two tracks with the same width on both. Teams will be allowed to balance and adjust cars, slide them back and forth with sled attached to create the best flow of movement, all within the time provided. Prior to the run, students will NOT be allowed to turn cars on, as this will influence prediction times.
Will we be able to choose which of the two tracks we do our runs on?
Based on NY states last year, yes. You got to put your car on the track and see which one fit your car better.
Coach Marz

Post by Coach Marz »

Will we be able to choose which of the two tracks we do our runs on?[/quote]

Based on NY states last year, yes. You got to put your car on the track and see which one fit your car better.[/quote]

Last year, the rules said to buy a track from Kelvin....which most teams did. However, the big problem was that Kelvin sent some tracks out with different widths. I bought two tracks from them, both with different widths, so teams were allowed to choose whatever track worked best for them. This year, the rules state that the car should be adjustable to fit on different width sized tracks, 65+/-2cm, which hopefully will prevent any such issues. It is not my intention to prevent any team from making it down the track, but if built correctly, the car should be able to run on any size track within the specified size limits. I will do my best to allow teams to choose either track, but like I wrote in a previous posts, the tracks have been made as identical as possible this year. There were VERY few teams that needed to choose between the two tracks at regionals. All the top teams/schools were very prepared and didn't have any issues with the adjustments they made for either track. Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK THIS WEEK!
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

Coach Marz wrote: Last year, the rules said to buy a track from Kelvin....which most teams did. However, the big problem was that Kelvin sent some tracks out with different widths. I bought two tracks from them, both with different widths, so teams were allowed to choose whatever track worked best for them. This year, the rules state that the car should be adjustable to fit on different width sized tracks, 65+/-2cm, which hopefully will prevent any such issues. It is not my intention to prevent any team from making it down the track, but if built correctly, the car should be able to run on any size track within the specified size limits. I will do my best to allow teams to choose either track, but like I wrote in a previous posts, the tracks have been made as identical as possible this year. There were VERY few teams that needed to choose between the two tracks at regionals. All the top teams/schools were very prepared and didn't have any issues with the adjustments they made for either track. Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK THIS WEEK!
Would you be inclined to give us any hints as to whether yours are closer to 63 or 67 mm?
baker
Division: C

Post by baker »

Why not just announce which direction the vechicles will travel? (i.e. 'right side north') This would minimize set up time. From what I see there are approx 9 teams per hour to compete. If each team uses 10 minutes, that's 90 minutes, if two tracks are used..that is still 45 minutes and then there is still 20 to 30 minutes for the test. That all fits in an hour? Hope nobody has to run up to Horan-O'Donnell afterwards.
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

Yeah, but how many teams actually use ten minutes?
Coach Marz

Post by Coach Marz »

baker wrote:Why not just announce which direction the vechicles will travel? (i.e. 'right side north') This would minimize set up time. From what I see there are approx 9 teams per hour to compete. If each team uses 10 minutes, that's 90 minutes, if two tracks are used..that is still 45 minutes and then there is still 20 to 30 minutes for the test. That all fits in an hour? Hope nobody has to run up to Horan-O'Donnell afterwards.
Just to clarify....We will start the test immediately upon entering the time slot. We will then call up two teams at a time for their allotted time and they will then continue to take the test once the car is done. The entire event should take around 45 minutes start to finish.

In regard to track width and direction, I do not feel that it is fair to release information ahead of time.
If built correctly, teams should be able to adjust both the width and direction of their car with plenty of time to spare.
We did not run into any complications at regionals and I would expect cars to be the same or better at states.

Return to “2012 Build Events”