Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MagLev C [Trial]

Post by mrsteven »

Well it is a bit of an unwritten rule to not put calc in any of the exams, its really just not fair to the team members not in advanced classes or underclassman. With that said, i think 1 events simply CALLS for it: circuit lab. You cannot do capacitors and a few other major components without it.
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
pjgscioisamazing
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by pjgscioisamazing »

Sorry for my confusion, only the NY State Trial Event Rules explicitly stated "Ampere's Law" this past year. The National Trial Rules did not mention it.

While I agree with that unwritten rule, the actually calculus involved in a simple Ampere's Law problem (beyond the basis of understanding) is quite simple. Studying about it on your own as an extra topic to add to the rules would be fair. I think as long as it is explicitly state in the rules it's fine.
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

pjgscioisamazing wrote:Sorry for my confusion, only the NY State Trial Event Rules explicitly stated "Ampere's Law" this past year. The National Trial Rules did not mention it.

While I agree with that unwritten rule, the actually calculus involved in a simple Ampere's Law problem (beyond the basis of understanding) is quite simple. Studying about it on your own as an extra topic to add to the rules would be fair. I think as long as it is explicitly state in the rules it's fine.
this is true, but I think just the concept of some of it will confuse more than help those who dont already have a basic understanding of calculus. trying to explain a derivative and chain rules to algebra or geometry kids wouldn't be realistic outside of their math class if they aren't actually doing it
I'm pro-calc but hey thats because I know it haha, I wouldn't burden underclassman or people on the team that aren't in accelerated math with it. It also would limit the age of people doing it, almost no freshman/sophomores know calc to be able to compete in the event and thats not really fair in my opinion.

Any calc problem would really be just a cheap cut at any younger competitors who are still progressing in math
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
ahoback
State: KY

Post by ahoback »

There is a rumor that we will not be having this event next year due to complications in the rules and such, but what is told in the ear of a man is often heard 100 miles away... Can anyone affirm or deny this?
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

My thought is that it will be held, at nationals anyway.
As far as calculus, I could go along with that IF it was specifically stated as to how it would be applied. That way a student could study a very specific application. My guess is that calculus will not be included.
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

I don't know about other states, but New York has released its official list of events for the coming year, and MagLev is on it as an official (non-trial) event.
ahoback
State: KY

Post by ahoback »

But hasn't NY been known to have a few more/different events than others in the nation?
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

Not in my experience, although that certainly might have occurred before I began science olympiad...In the time I've done scioly, New York's only unique events were its trial events.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

Ive heard stories of new York dropping certain national events... But this is a national event next season, right?
quizbowl

Post by quizbowl »

iwonder wrote:Ive heard stories of new York dropping certain national events... But this is a national event next season, right?
Just a clarification - in the past years there have been no examples of New York dropping national events. You might be confusing us with North Carolina.
And in regards to the trials - NY is usually smart in choosing the events, many of them become national events. MagLev was a trial for the past two years, Protein was a trial in 2010, Sumo was a trial for god knows how many years; Geologic Mapping (which I'm pretty sure will return as a trial this year) is projected to be a National trial event, and a full event in the 2013-2014 season, replacing Remote Sensing.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

Return to “2012 Build Events”