Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MagLev C [Trial]

Post by twototwenty »

iwonder wrote:Ive heard stories of new York dropping certain national events... But this is a national event next season, right?
That is what we are discussing - ahoback heard a rumor (note: emphasis on the rumor) that MagLev might be dropped as a national event due to rule complications., and had asked fif anyone knew anything about it. I simply had brought up that New York has already announced that it will run Maglev as a non-trial state event. Furthermore, I find it unlikely that it will be dropped, because New York has run it the past two years pretty smoothly. However, I am a mere competitor; I by no means have the "inside scoop" on this.
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

SOINC.ORG posted the events last month that will be used this year. Maglev is one of them. I very seriously doubt if they would back track now as it would have to be replaced by another event and the committees have held their meeting after the 2012 nationals.

Batteries- Why would anyone want to make their own 9 volt battery when you can buy the exact same thing in one nice little shape. If you want a bundled one, go to battery world and they will make one for you.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

It's interesting how certain 'behind the scenes' conversations get leaked and twisted around a bit. To put this rumor to bed, I'll emphasize that MagLev WILL BE an event next year. We did have significant conversations over the past few weeks about MagLev, and not having it as an event was an option on the table at some point. However we have made some significant revisions to the rules that were tested at the Summer Institute and think we have a really great resulting event.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

Great, thanks for the resolution, chalker.
As for the batteries, retired1, I think the question was more of "is it ok if I package my batteries myself" than "can I make my own batteries", as the rules of the trial event explicitly state that you can't make your own batteries.
retired1

Post by retired1 »

OK, why would you desire to repackage batteries? I can not see the advantage. What am I missing?
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

I believe the person who was asking about it had already bought several cheaper 1.2v rechargables, and wanted to shrinkwrap them for convinience instead of paying more to get one higher voltage batter, and was wondering if he'd get into trouble to due the "commercial batteries" rule. The answer, of course, was that we couldn't be sure, because many regional-level event supervisors can be somewhat...liberal with their inteperatations of the rule, and that includes disqualifying/tier 2-ing devices that do not really deserve it.
retired1

Post by retired1 »

One big problem could be if they are labeled 1.5 volts, then that is what they have to be used as and not 1.2 volts.
_HenryHscioly_
Division: C
State: CA

Post by _HenryHscioly_ »

I havent built a maglev before
I was wondering whether to get a brushed or brushless motor
brushless seems more complicated, but they are supposed to have better efficiency
what types of motors have you guys used?
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

_HenryHscioly_ wrote:I havent built a maglev before
I was wondering whether to get a brushed or brushless motor
brushless seems more complicated, but they are supposed to have better efficiency
what types of motors have you guys used?
If you can, definitely go with the brushless motor. They are more efficient, and it is likely that you will need this. After have done this event for 2 years (it may be different for states which have not run it as a trial) here in NY, it has become very competitive, and at states last year really came down to how good your motor was. The only reason not to use a brushless motor is the expense, especially if your team doesn't generally go to states.

Note: DO NOT buy any motor until you get the rules, though, because it would be very, very bad to invest in a good motor only to find a rule change renders it useless.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

It is indeed pricy. The ESC you will need to run a brushless will run you the same if not more than the actual motor, then a reciever and transmitter combo is 100 easily and battery pack bc by the time youre in it that much money get a nice battery along with it.
Id say unless this is your specialty event like it is for me this year dont even go this route its really cost prohibitive. Im in it easily 270 for parts
I think most peoPle outside of NY where its been a trial for several years will use brushed. Easier and insanely more reasonably priced.
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion

Return to “2012 Build Events”