Helicopter Egg Drop B [Trial]

JimY
Division: Grad
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Helicopter Egg Drop B [Trial]

Post by JimY »

There are at least three different sets of rules for this event floating around out there (pun intended). Indiana had their own set which were fairly different than the national rules. Then NY has their own rules which are also different than the national rules with a cup to hold the egg. My guess is that they are trying to figure out how make this one of the 23 for next season while also removing all the confusing rules at the same time. So, they are trying out a few different ideas in different states to see how each goes.

My question on rule 2c is regarding the national rules only, since I'm helping out a team that is going to nats next month. I see no confusion with cups, as nationals is not using the NY rules. Regarding the above post on rule 2b of the national rules, to me it does not imply suspending the egg under the device using tape or string. Rather, you can use tape or string to secure the egg into the device (= rest the egg in the device and keep from moving with tape or string). Using nothing but gravity to hold the egg in the device would also be allowed. We will just have to wait for someone from nationals to thumb through this post and reply to our questions since there are no FAQs and rule clarifications for trial events that I'm aware of.
lenkagamine
Division: B
State: CA

Post by lenkagamine »

JimY wrote:There are at least three different sets of rules for this event floating around out there (pun intended). Indiana had their own set which were fairly different than the national rules. Then NY has their own rules which are also different than the national rules with a cup to hold the egg. My guess is that they are trying to figure out how make this one of the 23 for next season while also removing all the confusing rules at the same time. So, they are trying out a few different ideas in different states to see how each goes.

My question on rule 2c is regarding the national rules only, since I'm helping out a team that is going to nats next month. I see no confusion with cups, as nationals is not using the NY rules. Regarding the above post on rule 2b of the national rules, to me it does not imply suspending the egg under the device using tape or string. Rather, you can use tape or string to secure the egg into the device (= rest the egg in the device and keep from moving with tape or string). Using nothing but gravity to hold the egg in the device would also be allowed. We will just have to wait for someone from nationals to thumb through this post and reply to our questions since there are no FAQs and rule clarifications for trial events that I'm aware of.
thank you! that helped me out a lot :D good luck on your own helicopter! (i am quickly figuring out that this event is harder than it at first seemed...)
★☻☮♥♫♪☯☺☆ Events: Reach 4 the Stars, Compute This, and Mission Possible
cant_think_of_one
State: WA

Post by cant_think_of_one »

Is holding an egg in a string bag against the rules? Please reply as soon as possible.

"edit" a crocheted/knited bag
JimY
State: IN

Post by JimY »

cant_think_of_one wrote:Is holding an egg in a string bag against the rules? Please reply as soon as possible.

"edit" a crocheted/knited bag
Who knows. If it provides padding, it could be viewed as such.
Mr Sarcastic
Division: C
State: TN

Post by Mr Sarcastic »

Rule 2.b states that, "No energy producing mechanism of any type may be used to power the rotor(s) to slow the descent of the device." How will the blade begin to turn to slow the descent in the first place if it cannot be powered?
Events: Meteorology, Forestry, Keep the Heat, Shock Value, Mission Possible, Heredity, Anatomy, Metric Mastery

2013 Medals/Ribbons:
Anatomy- 2nd
Forestry- 2nd
Heredity- 6th, 1st
Meteorology- 3rd, 1st
Metrics- 4th
Keep the Heat- 7th, 1st
Shock- 7th

"We're back, Jack!"
dustykingwood
State: TX

Post by dustykingwood »

tmis wrote:I have a few questions before I start building.
What is considered a "blade?"
How many blades can we have?
What should the blades be made out of?
If I can get a response as soon as possible that would be grate

Great? as in good? or grate? as in the thing in your fireplace? Sorry, I had to.
^.^ Chloe "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." Dr. Seuss
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

JimY wrote:There are at least three different sets of rules for this event floating around out there (pun intended). Indiana had their own set which were fairly different than the national rules. Then NY has their own rules which are also different than the national rules with a cup to hold the egg. My guess is that they are trying to figure out how make this one of the 23 for next season while also removing all the confusing rules at the same time. So, they are trying out a few different ideas in different states to see how each goes.

Honestly, a lot of us have even less experience than you do at this event (I have yet to personally see it run at a tournament.) I'm not 100% sure who is running the event at nationals, so I don't even know who to forward the question on to, but I would suggest building your device as conservatively as possible (that is, in such a manner that you think will most likely be legal) and as adaptable as possible (so you can move things on the tournament day if they are considered illegal.) I'd also have a coach ask a question at the coaches' meeting on Friday night, you might have some more luck getting the question answered there.

Also, (and don't quote me on this) but I would expect the rules posted on the national site to be the ones used at nationals, not any variations posted on different state websites.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

chalker7 wrote:
Honestly, a lot of us have even less experience than you do at this event (I have yet to personally see it run at a tournament.) I'm not 100% sure who is running the event at nationals, so I don't even know who to forward the question on to, but I would suggest building your device as conservatively as possible (that is, in such a manner that you think will most likely be legal) and as adaptable as possible (so you can move things on the tournament day if they are considered illegal.) I'd also have a coach ask a question at the coaches' meeting on Friday night, you might have some more luck getting the question answered there.

Also, (and don't quote me on this) but I would expect the rules posted on the national site to be the ones used at nationals, not any variations posted on different state websites.
I'm pretty sure it's going to be run by a local UCF person, not anyone from the 'national' organization, thus we really don't know what to expect. I'd recommend submitting your questions here: http://www.scienceolympiad2012.com/about-us/contact-us/

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MD

Post by knittingfrenzy18 »

Mr Sarcastic wrote:Rule 2.b states that, "No energy producing mechanism of any type may be used to power the rotor(s) to slow the descent of the device." How will the blade begin to turn to slow the descent in the first place if it cannot be powered?
If you have the blades angled correctly, the air will travel through the blades, causing it to spin as it lowers itself to the ground. Think about it this way: The device is trying to go down, so the air has to go through. Think of the blades as a circular plate, cut at some places and angled. This way the air can get through. Therefore it will spin the rotor.
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com
Mr Sarcastic
Division: C
State: TN

Post by Mr Sarcastic »

knittingfrenzy18 wrote:
Mr Sarcastic wrote:Rule 2.b states that, "No energy producing mechanism of any type may be used to power the rotor(s) to slow the descent of the device." How will the blade begin to turn to slow the descent in the first place if it cannot be powered?
If you have the blades angled correctly, the air will travel through the blades, causing it to spin as it lowers itself to the ground. Think about it this way: The device is trying to go down, so the air has to go through. Think of the blades as a circular plate, cut at some places and angled. This way the air can get through. Therefore it will spin the rotor.
Thanks, but I'm still not seeing how this would decrease times in any noticeable way, considering the weight of the egg. It would seem to me that you would need power to spin the blades fast enough to slow the descent.
Events: Meteorology, Forestry, Keep the Heat, Shock Value, Mission Possible, Heredity, Anatomy, Metric Mastery

2013 Medals/Ribbons:
Anatomy- 2nd
Forestry- 2nd
Heredity- 6th, 1st
Meteorology- 3rd, 1st
Metrics- 4th
Keep the Heat- 7th, 1st
Shock- 7th

"We're back, Jack!"

Return to “2012 Build Events”