Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Helicopter Egg Drop B [Trial]

Post by Jim_R »

Discussion for Helicopter Egg Drop B

http://newyorkscioly.org/SOPages/Helico ... Drop12.pdf

It is a trial event in New York
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
quadmaster
Division: C
State: NC
Been thanked: 0

Re: Helicopter Egg Drop B [Trial]

Post by quadmaster »

Are contestants allowed to set the rotor spinning as they drop it?
tmis
Division: B
State: IN

Post by tmis »

I have a few questions before I start building.
What is considered a "blade?"
How many blades can we have?
What should the blades be made out of?
If I can get a response as soon as possible that would be grate
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

FYI, this will in all likelihood be a real, full event for division B next year.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by blue cobra »

I'll be running this event, but I'm concerned about putting middle school kids 5 meters in the air to drop their helicopters. I don't want to put them that high up on a normal ladder, and the middle school that hosts the competition (and I imagine many other middle schools) don't have an enclosed ladder or platform. I'll have to have them drop their devices off of the bleachers, but then I can imagine many helicopters crashing into the wall or the bleachers.

I also have my doubts about the ability of teams to construct a helicopter that can save the egg. A large egg weighs about 60 grams, which is a lot to ask from an unpowered (or even powered) helicopter. However, I haven't heard results from any competitions so far. Have teams at other competitions been successful?
In full color since 2006
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

blue cobra wrote:I'll be running this event, but I'm concerned about putting middle school kids 5 meters in the air to drop their helicopters. I don't want to put them that high up on a normal ladder, and the middle school that hosts the competition (and I imagine many other middle schools) don't have an enclosed ladder or platform. I'll have to have them drop their devices off of the bleachers, but then I can imagine many helicopters crashing into the wall or the bleachers.

I also have my doubts about the ability of teams to construct a helicopter that can save the egg. A large egg weighs about 60 grams, which is a lot to ask from an unpowered (or even powered) helicopter. However, I haven't heard results from any competitions so far. Have teams at other competitions been successful?
I too would be extremely concerned about putting kids up on a 15+ foot ladder, but I haven't heard this be too much of a concern in the past. Egg drop of various varieties has been an event basically since Science Olympiad was founded, and they generally reach heights much greater than 5m. The two common locations for doing this are stairwells and bleachers in gyms. They've worked pretty well in the past, but your concerns about the egg crashing into the walls sounds well-founded. I'd love to hear if that is actually a problem. Also, not having seen the event run anywhere, I'd love to hear what the success vs. breaking rate is. I would be very concerned if too many teams are breaking.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by blue cobra »

I was not in the gym as I had thought, the tournament supervisor had a stairwell set up for us that worked nicely. As for success, 2 out of 7 teams had eggs that survived. I forgot to check, but I believe that the final ranking went in order of times (as in there was no helicopter that fell slower than a helicopter whose egg survived, yet still failed). Most of my concerns for this event are gone after seeing how teams actually did.

There are a couple things that were brought up, however. There are no clear tiers. It says that teams with construction violations will be ranked after those with none, and those whose egg cracked will be ranked after those that survive, but where would I put a team with construction violations and an intact egg vs. a team that's in spec but broke their egg? I would imagine the penalty for construction violations should be more severe than that for a broken egg, but the 4 possibilities are not laid out in the rules (egg survival yes/no, construction yes/no).

I also had a team that clearly attempted to make a device that would spin, but when they actually released it their blades didn't turn, so it was just a parachute. Perhaps there could be an operational definition for that parameter.
In full color since 2006
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

blue cobra wrote:where would I put a team with construction violations and an intact egg vs.
Since the rules present a conundrum, I would propose this solution:
1. Egg intact, no violations.
2. Egg broken, no violations.
3. Egg intact, violations.
4. Egg broken, violations.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
FueL
Division: C

Post by FueL »

The helicopter egg drop at my regionals was done out a second story window. There were some issues with the devices hitting the wall on the way down, in which case the team would get a redo if it affected their flight.

The main problem was that since it was done outside, the grass surface cushioned the fall of the egg. An event supervisor actually tossed a lone egg in a cup out the window and it didn't break.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
quizbowl

Post by quizbowl »

FueL wrote:The helicopter egg drop at my regionals was done out a second story window. There were some issues with the devices hitting the wall on the way down, in which case the team would get a redo if it affected their flight.

The main problem was that since it was done outside, the grass surface cushioned the fall of the egg. An event supervisor actually tossed a lone egg in a cup out the window and it didn't break.
I heard a rumour that some team taped their egg in a cup to a straw hat :lol:
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

Return to “2012 Build Events”