Disease Detective B/C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad

Disease Detective B/C

Postby Jim_R » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:09 am

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.

Starapollo1
State: IN

Re: Disease Detective B/C

Postby Starapollo1 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:36 pm

Hey! This is finally in the study event forums as opposed to lab!! lol YAY :D
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Postby Luo » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:14 pm

Starapollo1 wrote:Hey! This is finally in the study event forums as opposed to lab!! lol YAY :D

I know, right? That always bothered me, so I PM'd starpug, and he moved it for the rollover.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

Starapollo1
State: IN

Postby Starapollo1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:29 pm

Luo wrote:
Starapollo1 wrote:Hey! This is finally in the study event forums as opposed to lab!! lol YAY :D

I know, right? That always bothered me, so I PM'd starpug, and he moved it for the rollover.

Nice call! :)
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th

Epidemiologist
Division: C
State: FL

Postby Epidemiologist » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:15 pm

The rules for Disease Detectives seem to be getting more and more vague every year, regarding the math part of the event, which is, in itself, the most important part of the competition. :/
Disease Detectives
2009, 1 Regionals, 2 States
2010, 1 Regionals, 2 States, 31 Nationals
2011, 1 Regionals, 1 States, 10 Nationals
2012, 18 Solon Invitationals, 2 Regionals, 4 States

rkoopma2
State: MI

Postby rkoopma2 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:37 pm

this is my first year in div. C. is there any major difference between the tests in b & c?
2012 state Events
Anatomy and Physiology: 6
Disease Detectives: 3
Microbe Mission: 21
Protein Modeling: 2

"As government expands, liberty contracts" - Ronald Reagan

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:40 pm

Generally, the basic test format is the same for both divisions: you're given a scenario, and you have to analyze it. In Division C, I'd think that there's usually more focus on the math, as well as questions for more in-depth analysis than B.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

dustykingwood
Division: B
State: TX

Postby dustykingwood » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:38 pm

rkoopma2 wrote:this is my first year in div. C. is there any major difference between the tests in b & c?

A few different things, I'm not on much but my sis did division C last year. You have to do everything division b does PLUS doing a little more. :lol: I too lazy to type it out right now though so..... there is something on here i found that have what else division C has to do of course im only talking about Disease Detectives, there are a few more challenging events and (in my experience) quite a few people drop out because of sports and band and other things like dance so you have to fill in those spaces. There is a little less competition because two or three middle schools feed into one highschool
^.^ Chloe "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." Dr. Seuss

mnstrviola
WikiMod
WikiMod
State: CA

Postby mnstrviola » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:37 am

so, the topic this year is still food borne illnesses, right?

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Postby Luo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:49 am

mnstrviola wrote:so, the topic this year is still food borne illnesses, right?

Yep, the topic is still Food-Borne Illness, though in my experience, the topic of Disease Detectives doesn't have very much bearing on how the event is actually written.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

butter side up
State: PA
Location: The TARDIS, temporarily stopped at 221B Baker Street

Postby butter side up » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:18 pm

Yes. This means that the test will probably look just like usual, but the case studies will probably be food-borne diseases, like salmonella or kuru. Also, the sections where you match diseases with specific outbreaks or the type of disease (bacterial, fungal, prion, etc.) will focus on food-borne diseases and outbreaks. For the most part, these tests stay pretty similar, so your notes and studying should, too. Just focus on some of the food-borne diseases when you study. Our note sheet had a chart of about half a page chart with common f-b diseases, incubation period, symptoms, treatment, common foods it is found in, etc.
I am the one called "TARDIS Hat Girl," and am known as such by all.
2013: Anatomy, Experimental Design, Genetics, Forestry, Disease Detectives

deezee
State: IL

Postby deezee » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:52 pm

like last year usually the main part of the test would be on *food borne illness* but then sometimes some trivia like "match this disease with pathogen" type thing could be added in
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.

dustykingwood
Division: B
State: TX

Postby dustykingwood » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:30 pm

butter side up wrote:

Yes. This means that the test will probably look just like usual, but the case studies will probably be food-borne diseases, like salmonella or kuru. Also, the sections where you match diseases with specific outbreaks or the type of disease (bacterial, fungal, prion, etc.) will focus on food-borne diseases and outbreaks. For the most part, these tests stay pretty similar, so your notes and studying should, too. Just focus on some of the food-borne diseases when you study. Our note sheet had a chart of about half a page chart with common f-b diseases, incubation period, symptoms, treatment, common foods it is found in, etc.

Hey did y'all here bout the breakout or lysteria from cantaloupes grown in Colorado? So far a total count of sixteen people have died and another three cases are being investigated. This is the largest breakout since three years ago when nine people died from sallmonella in peanuts
^.^ Chloe "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." Dr. Seuss

silverheart7
State: NY

Postby silverheart7 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:56 pm

This event seems so confusing!!!!!!! :? Can anyone explain to me what we have to learn? I know there is a certain type of graph and that we have to know some vocabulary, but what else? Could you explain that again, in more simple terms? Please? :oops:
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Student Coach, Paul J. Gelinas Science Olympiad <3

Infinity Flat
State: WA

Postby Infinity Flat » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:13 pm

silverheart7 wrote:This event seems so confusing!!!!!!! :? Can anyone explain to me what we have to learn? I know there is a certain type of graph and that we have to know some vocabulary, but what else? Could you explain that again, in more simple terms? Please? :oops:

For this event, you need to understand how outbreaks of diseases are investigated. This involves interpreting data, being comfortable with terminology, and showing good understanding of the presented scenarios.

There are more than enough resources on the Science Olympiad event page
A VERY good place to start is with the Training Handout
You can also take a look at the PowerPoint, and at the SciOly Wiki page.
Once you're comfortable with the event, you can do somepractice tests.

Good luck!
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)

Return to “2012 Study Events”