Disease Detective B/C

Mathc314
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detective B/C

Post by Mathc314 »

Hey guys: does anyone know what the focus will be next year? I would assume it will change next year, but any predicitions as to what it will change to?...
And by the way, this year's test was a really nice format--entirely a test/no stations! (We got 28th for C, pretty nice considering we didn't get to the last 3-4 pages of the test, skipped over a page earlier in the test and really didn't know a lot of the material--Educated guesses!)
But again, what will the focus be for next year?...
"The philosophy of the school room in one generation will be the philosophy of government in the next." -Abe Lincoln
illusionofconfusion
State: AL

Post by illusionofconfusion »

Mathc314 wrote:Hey guys: does anyone know what the focus will be next year? I would assume it will change next year, but any predicitions as to what it will change to?...
And by the way, this year's test was a really nice format--entirely a test/no stations! (We got 28th for C, pretty nice considering we didn't get to the last 3-4 pages of the test, skipped over a page earlier in the test and really didn't know a lot of the material--Educated guesses!)
But again, what will the focus be for next year?...
I think it's cycled back to Environmental Quality.
~illusionofconfusion ;)
Mathc314

Post by Mathc314 »

A few questions there:
1. When was the last time that was a topic?
AND
2. What exactly does that focus entail for the event?

Help is greatly appreciated!
"The philosophy of the school room in one generation will be the philosophy of government in the next." -Abe Lincoln
Infinity Flat
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

I felt like the nationals test this year was excellent with a good balance in topics and difficulty. I have a feeling that many teams did not finish, partly because of the late start, as we were working up until the very last minute. Congratulations to all who participated, hopefully I'll see some of you again next year. :)

As far as next year goes, I think that the topic switches back to environmental quality. I would expect a lot more on chronic illness than we saw this year (asthma will be a big one) but infectious disease will still play a large role (think malaria and cholera.)
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
havenguy
State: PA

Post by havenguy »

How did you go from 27th in Disease in 2011 to first at Nationals in 2012? Did you just know more, or have a better partner, or what?

I'm asking because I got 9th last year, to 27th this year, and I want to do well next year.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
Infinity Flat

Post by Infinity Flat »

havenguy wrote:How did you go from 27th in Disease in 2011 to first at Nationals in 2012? Did you just know more, or have a better partner, or what?

I'm asking because I got 9th last year, to 27th this year, and I want to do well next year.
To be honest I'm not really sure haha. But there are a few things that I think definitely helped.
1. Time management. Last year neither my partner nor I brought a watch so we ended up not getting to about a third of the test. This year we were much better prepared in this regard, which was really useful when we ended up having
45 minutes for a 30 page test.
2. No offense to my partner from last year, but the one I had this year was just leagues and miles better. She also did microbe mission, which helped, and actually made me study when I thought I was finished preparing for this event.
3. Studying more effectively. I'm not really going to elaborate on this too much except to say that at the national tournament the test tends to stick very closely to the event rules. But don't get caught up in the rules too much, some times it can really help to just read about recent outbreaks and how they were investigated to see how it all ties together.

Generally, the best advice I could give for the event is this: be prepared to answer every question
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
havenguy

Post by havenguy »

Did you split up the test?
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
Infinity Flat

Post by Infinity Flat »

havenguy wrote:Did you split up the test?
Yes, right down the middle. There was a little overlap, but for the most part the two halves were done independently.
(State, Nationals)
Gearbox

Post by Gearbox »

I heard that for next year, the topic will be Water Quality for Disease detectives. Does anyone have any idea what this will entail. I am assuming that this will relate to pollution and such and its effect on disease, but I'm not sure
2015 Events

Protein Modeling
Cell Biology
Disease Detectives
Chem Lab

crazyfloboe
State: TX

Post by crazyfloboe »

Gearbox wrote:I heard that for next year, the topic will be Water Quality for Disease detectives. Does anyone have any idea what this will entail. I am assuming that this will relate to pollution and such and its effect on disease, but I'm not sure

Where did you hear this? Would they really do that when Water Quality is already an event? Then people would double and it wouldn't be as hard.
In the end, as we fade into the night~
O.O -.- Its too early
SANDSHREW!
^^^ Favorite pokemon <3

Return to “2012 Study Events”