Disease Detective B/C

illusionofconfusion
Division: C
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by illusionofconfusion »

stephritz929 wrote:Just out of curiosity, has anyone gotten this as a station? The rules say it could be a test or a station, so just wondering what the station could be like :geek:
No... But that would be awful! I imagine it'd be one story / situation per station, and some take longer than others, and ohgeeznowIhavetogostudymore.
~illusionofconfusion ;)
liutony66
State: TX

Re: Disease Detective B/C

Post by liutony66 »

dustykingwood wrote:Hey everyone I was wondering if someone could help me on what exactly to study for at nationals. Pastureaztion is at the top of my list because of our state test. But anything else? my cheat sheet already has the diseases and im going to memorize the studies

thx
lol, that was quite an interesting state test. Except it wasn't really about pasteurization, as you only had to know a few basic facts about it. More about interpreting the graphs.
dustykingwood
Division: B

Post by dustykingwood »

liutony66 wrote:
dustykingwood wrote:Hey everyone I was wondering if someone could help me on what exactly to study for at nationals. Pastureaztion is at the top of my list because of our state test. But anything else? my cheat sheet already has the diseases and im going to memorize the studies

thx
lol, that was quite an interesting state test. Except it wasn't really about pasteurization, as you only had to know a few basic facts about it. More about interpreting the graphs.

I know right? I didn't mind the graphs except we were told the wrong one for the bonus, we had asked the helper proctor since all the tables were labled #1 and at the last minute had to redo our whole first tie breaker (we had written paragraphs about the total wrong graph) XD yaaa... are you from Bekendorf? (sorry if I spelled that wrong)
^.^ Chloe "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." Dr. Seuss
ptkid
Division: Grad

Post by ptkid »

dustykingwood wrote:
liutony66 wrote:

thx

I know right? I didn't mind the graphs except we were told the wrong one for the bonus, we had asked the helper proctor since all the tables were labled #1 and at the last minute had to redo our whole first tie breaker (we had written paragraphs about the total wrong graph) XD yaaa... are you from Bekendorf? (sorry if I spelled that wrong)
No he's (I think liutony66 is a boy) on Colleyville's team. I am though. :)
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality
dustykingwood
Division: B

Post by dustykingwood »

No he's (I think liutony66 is a boy) on Colleyville's team. I am though. :)[/quote]

Nice :) See ya'll at nats :D
^.^ Chloe "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." Dr. Seuss
deezee
State: IL

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by deezee »

illusionofconfusion wrote:
stephritz929 wrote:Just out of curiosity, has anyone gotten this as a station? The rules say it could be a test or a station, so just wondering what the station could be like :geek:
No... But that would be awful! I imagine it'd be one story / situation per station, and some take longer than others, and ohgeeznowIhavetogostudymore.
I don't think this is the type of event that can even be run at stations : P

I suppose if this was at stations, they'd have to make really short cases and quick questions, more like a microbe mission test than epidemiology.
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.
stephritz929
State: PA

Post by stephritz929 »

That is VERY true! PA states were yesterday and the cases studies were really long! It was my first state test so I had no idea what to expect, we barely finished in time :?
Without motivation, what is success?
2012:
Regionals, States
Compute This: 14, 9
Disease Detectives: 3, 10
Team: 1, 7

2013:
Regionals, States
Crime Busters: 2, ?
Disease Detectives: 5, 5
Forestry: 2, ?
Helicopters: 9, ?
Team: 5, 3
deezee
State: IL

Post by deezee »

stephritz929 wrote:That is VERY true! PA states were yesterday and the cases studies were really long! It was my first state test so I had no idea what to expect, we barely finished in time :?
lol wow, I've had people say state was in february all the way to april : P

I would suggest splitting up the test the disease test is relatively easy to divide, since usually you can split it up by story. for example, a case about salmonella can go to you and your partner can do a case about cholera. that way it goes faster. The method has worked pretty well for us except for when the test was about one HUGE case with a thousand questions :roll:
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.
Cedavis6
Division: Grad

Post by Cedavis6 »

I think my partner and I will place in states.
ILoveEgretsClub
State: NY

Post by ILoveEgretsClub »

Anyone know what units prevalence/incidence are measured in?

Return to “2012 Study Events”