Disease Detective B/C

SciBomb97
Division: C
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detective B/C

Post by SciBomb97 »

ILoveEgretsClub wrote:Is cross-sectional the cheap/fastest one, or is that case control? I've seen it from both sources both fairly reputable), just wanted another opinion.
Cross-sectional is the cheapest and fastest one, and it also presents the greatest likelihood of inaccurate information.
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
ILoveEgretsClub
State: NY

Post by ILoveEgretsClub »

Ok, that's what I thought. Case studies seem to really be our downfall; it's just that there are so many different opinions on them. Anything else really important I'll need to know study-wise?
deezee
State: IL

Post by deezee »

ILoveEgretsClub wrote:Ok, that's what I thought. Case studies seem to really be our downfall; it's just that there are so many different opinions on them. Anything else really important I'll need to know study-wise?
Don't know if anyone else already mentioned these, but know the formulas associated with each design (ex. odds ratio, relative risk) and also the pros and cons of each. A list can be found on the soinc.org website.
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.
havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by havenguy »

deezee wrote:
ILoveEgretsClub wrote:Ok, that's what I thought. Case studies seem to really be our downfall; it's just that there are so many different opinions on them. Anything else really important I'll need to know study-wise?
Don't know if anyone else already mentioned these, but know the formulas associated with each design (ex. odds ratio, relative risk) and also the pros and cons of each. A list can be found on the soinc.org website.
Where exactly is the list? I am assuming it is on this page: http://soinc.org/disease_detectives_b
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
deezee
State: IL

Post by deezee »

havenguy wrote:
deezee wrote:
Where exactly is the list? I am assuming it is on this page: http://soinc.org/disease_detectives_b
The formulas and equations can be found on the 2012 training handout. The 2012 Training powerpoint also has more info on the case studies.

Sorry, I can't find the pros and cons of case studies, but I'll keep looking.
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.
crazyfloboe
State: TX

Post by crazyfloboe »

The Virginia Science Olympiad Division B On Febuary 28, 2009's anwser key has the pros and cons of case control, cohort, cross-sectional, and expirimental or trial studies. I found it to be pretty useful
In the end, as we fade into the night~
O.O -.- Its too early
SANDSHREW!
^^^ Favorite pokemon <3
havenguy
State: PA

Post by havenguy »

University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
crazyfloboe

Post by crazyfloboe »

No, it was an actual test and there was an anwser key, I had A TON of information on it.
In the end, as we fade into the night~
O.O -.- Its too early
SANDSHREW!
^^^ Favorite pokemon <3
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

crazyfloboe wrote:

No, it was an actual test and there was an anwser key, I had A TON of information on it.
Yeah, but in this case it is wrong. Case-control studies are clearly faster and cheaper than cross-sectional studies, because all you need is a group of cases and a group of appropriate controls. For a cross-sectional study, as the name implies, you have to attempt to get a cross-section of a population. That is why you can get prevalence data from a cross-sectional study, but not from a case-control study.
ptkid

Post by ptkid »

Who liked the format this year? I thought it was a little weird and a bit to easy. Honestly we thought we failed when we left the room. They cut down the lengthiness :x . We ended 3rd though :D (division b)
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality

Return to “2012 Study Events”