Disease Detective B/C

ILoveEgretsClub
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detective B/C

Post by ILoveEgretsClub »

Actually, I think it's supposed to cycle back into Environmental Quality.
Infinity Flat
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

Just a reminder, all we know about the topic focus next year is that Chalker posted here that "the tentative plan is for the topic to be 'Environmental Quality.'" Chalker is usually a quite reliable source, but don't count on anything until after the summer coaches clinic.

Should that be the event focus for next year, I outlined what that might mean on the last page.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
silverheart7
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

And anyway, it wouldn't be water quality like the existing event. "Water Quality" as a Disease Detectives event would probably be about water-bourne illnesses (which kind of relate to Environmental Quality).
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

silverheart7 wrote:And anyway, it wouldn't be water quality like the existing event. "Water Quality" as a Disease Detectives event would probably be about water-bourne illnesses (which kind of relate to Environmental Quality).
Well, there might be more overlap then you'd think at first, as water quality would also include such things as insect populations (e.g. mosquitoes.)
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
ThornStone
Division: B
State: ME

Post by ThornStone »

Does anyone know if Environmental Quality has been a topic for Disease Detectives before?
ptkid
State: TX

Post by ptkid »

ThornStone wrote:Does anyone know if Environmental Quality has been a topic for Disease Detectives before?
I think it may have been the topic in 2002. Somewhere around there.
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality
CulturallyScientific
State: CA

Post by CulturallyScientific »

ptkid wrote:
ThornStone wrote:Does anyone know if Environmental Quality has been a topic for Disease Detectives before?
I think it may have been the topic in 2002. Somewhere around there.
I think it's supposed to be a cycle every few years or so, maybe 2-3 years a topic?
'16, she/her, environmental-scientist-to-be: green gen, invasives, disease, ex. design, widi.

"…everything flows in an eternal present." (James Joyce)
Mathc314

Post by Mathc314 »

Based on the event handouts from previous years, and the past few years' cycle of topics, the topics are as follows:
2011/2012: Food-borne illness
2009/2010: Population increase based disease
and
2007/2008: Environmental quality (as it shall be next year)
So if you look on the disease detectives page on soinc.org, the 2008 handout states: "2008 emphasis will be on environmental causes of health problems."
Thus, it seems that 2008 was the last year this was a topic and based on a 2-3 year topic rotation, it was also a topic in 2007, for which there is an old nationals test online already! :D

Hope this helps all you folks out there!
"The philosophy of the school room in one generation will be the philosophy of government in the next." -Abe Lincoln
Cedavis6

Post by Cedavis6 »

Mathc314 wrote:Based on the event handouts from previous years, and the past few years' cycle of topics, the topics are as follows:
2011/2012: Food-borne illness
2009/2010: Population increase based disease
and
2007/2008: Environmental quality (as it shall be next year)
So if you look on the disease detectives page on soinc.org, the 2008 handout states: "2008 emphasis will be on environmental causes of health problems."
Thus, it seems that 2008 was the last year this was a topic and based on a 2-3 year topic rotation, it was also a topic in 2007, for which there is an old nationals test online already! :D

Hope this helps all you folks out there!
That sounds cool. I hope I get this again next year.
Equality 7-2521
State: CA

Post by Equality 7-2521 »

Does anyone know of any diseases that we might need to know about for this? (i'm new...)

Return to “2012 Study Events”