Disease Detective B/C

SciBomb97
Division: C
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detective B/C

Post by SciBomb97 »

Are there questions on the div. B tests about incubation periods, airborne vs. contact transmission, and stuff like that about specific diseases?
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
rkoopma2
State: MI

Post by rkoopma2 »

SciBomb97 wrote:Are there questions on the div. B tests about incubation periods, airborne vs. contact transmission, and stuff like that about specific diseases?
From my experience, no, but they will probably ask what these are and what the incubation period/mode of transmission in a certain scenario may be.
2012 state Events
Anatomy and Physiology: 6
Disease Detectives: 3
Microbe Mission: 21
Protein Modeling: 2

"As government expands, liberty contracts" - Ronald Reagan
Infinity Flat
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

SciBomb97 wrote:Are there questions on the div. B tests about incubation periods, airborne vs. contact transmission, and stuff like that about specific diseases?
The general concepts, yes.
For specific diseases, probably not.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
SirBobo
Division: B
State: CA

Post by SirBobo »

Usually, they give you a case of a disease and you will have to make a case definition, odds ratio, stuff like that. Often, tests have other questions asking whether the disease is a virus, bacteria, etc. I have even got some questions about famous scientists in the field. My advice is to study a lot about everything.
I am SirBobo and I approve this message

"Insert meaningful quote here"

Image Image
rohitjalaluddin
Division: B
State: PA

Post by rohitjalaluddin »

Epidemiologist wrote:The rules for Disease Detectives seem to be getting more and more vague every year, regarding the math part of the event, which is, in itself, the most important part of the competition. :/
You are essentially correct in which you said mathematics is an important part of Disease Detectives competition, but identifying correct diseases, their symptoms and a variety of other information can help assure a proper ranking in tournament.
Epidemiologist
State: FL

Post by Epidemiologist »

rohitjalaluddin wrote:
Epidemiologist wrote:The rules for Disease Detectives seem to be getting more and more vague every year, regarding the math part of the event, which is, in itself, the most important part of the competition. :/
You are essentially correct in which you said mathematics is an important part of Disease Detectives competition, but identifying correct diseases, their symptoms and a variety of other information can help assure a proper ranking in tournament.
At the national competition over 60% of the questions were calculation based, not finding information or any other information. It was straight mathematics. That is where my claim is coming from. On the Regional and State number it can be expected that a case will be given and questions specific to the case and broad to epidemiology will be pulled by the case example.
Disease Detectives
2009, 1 Regionals, 2 States
2010, 1 Regionals, 2 States, 31 Nationals
2011, 1 Regionals, 1 States, 10 Nationals
2012, 18 Solon Invitationals, 2 Regionals, 4 States
rkoopma2
State: MI

Post by rkoopma2 »

Epidemiologist wrote:
rohitjalaluddin wrote:
At the national competition over 60% of the questions were calculation based, not finding information or any other information. It was straight mathematics. That is where my claim is coming from. On the Regional and State number it can be expected that a case will be given and questions specific to the case and broad to epidemiology will be pulled by the case example.
None of the tests I took last year (Invites, Regionals, States) had disease information other than what could be inferred from the little scenario. Most questions were about epidemiology concepts with some calculations.
2012 state Events
Anatomy and Physiology: 6
Disease Detectives: 3
Microbe Mission: 21
Protein Modeling: 2

"As government expands, liberty contracts" - Ronald Reagan
French_Toast
State: OH

Post by French_Toast »

rkoopma2 wrote: None of the tests I took last year (Invites, Regionals, States) had disease information other than what could be inferred from the little scenario. Most questions were about epidemiology concepts with some calculations.
I've taken some tests where you were expected to know symptoms and specific foods associated with the major foodborne illnesses(e. coli, salmonella, and norovirus seem to come up more than most) so it never hurts to know these.
2011 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Mission Possible, Optics, Birds, Protein Modeling, Technical Problem Solving
2012 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Elastic Gliders, Trees, Microbe Mission, Protein Modeling, Remote Sensing
tkc1
State: OH

Post by tkc1 »

Hey guys, this is my first year competing in Science Olympiad. I'm a sophomore in Division C and last Saturday my team attended an invitational. I had my page of notes based on all the information from the SOInc website. The test turned out much differently than I expected. I didn't realize there were so many calculations involved, and it seemed that when conceptual questions were asked, my notes addressed none of it. Could anyone help me with what I should focus on and how I should revise my notes? It felt as if I hadn't done any preparation at all. Regionals are in six weeks and I'm so nervous, I would appreciate any assistance!
ptkid
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by ptkid »

tkc1 wrote:Hey guys, this is my first year competing in Science Olympiad. I'm a sophomore in Division C and last Saturday my team attended an invitational. I had my page of notes based on all the information from the SOInc website. The test turned out much differently than I expected. I didn't realize there were so many calculations involved, and it seemed that when conceptual questions were asked, my notes addressed none of it. Could anyone help me with what I should focus on and how I should revise my notes? It felt as if I hadn't done any preparation at all. Regionals are in six weeks and I'm so nervous, I would appreciate any assistance!
In my personal opinion, the best way to study disease detectives is by doing practice tests. To revise your notes I would add a formula's textbook that includes rates like incidence, prevalence, attack rate, rr etc.. As for conceptual question you just need to practice tests and you'll see what kind of things their looking for.
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality

Return to “2012 Study Events”