Disease Detective B/C

havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detective B/C

Post by havenguy » March 16th, 2012, 7:49 pm

I meant some of the less well known ones, such as Semmelweis and Jesty. I need some more space on my note sheet, but I don't want to take off something I might need.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th

Swag
Division: C
State: ME

Post by Swag » March 18th, 2012, 10:29 am

So if you had to interview someone after an outbreak what kind of questions would you ask? Like to try and figure stuff out.
"I will either find a way, or make one." - Hannibal Barca

French_Toast
State: OH

Post by French_Toast » March 18th, 2012, 2:28 pm

Infinity Flat wrote:
EpicFailure wrote:Generally, what are the most common diseases that we should know about?
Take a gander at that link to the CDC posted back a little bit for a pretty good list. I would say that Salmonella, E.Coli, Retrovirus, and Botulism are most commonly seen.
Event supervisors in Ohio seem to enjoy Norovirus scenarios a fair bit this year, too.
2011 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Mission Possible, Optics, Birds, Protein Modeling, Technical Problem Solving
2012 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Elastic Gliders, Trees, Microbe Mission, Protein Modeling, Remote Sensing

butter side up
State: PA
Location: The TARDIS, temporarily stopped at 221B Baker Street

Post by butter side up » March 19th, 2012, 8:03 am

Swag wrote:So if you had to interview someone after an outbreak what kind of questions would you ask? Like to try and figure stuff out.
I've never seen a question phrased that way, but I guess you'd need symptoms, and if they had seen a doctor or gotten any lab tests, you'd collect demographic information, any medications they might be taking or have taken recently, where they'd been or eaten recently, location, personal habits (smoking, drinking, etc.).
Mostly it'd be the stuff you'd need for a line listing, and to build or improve a case definition.
I am the one called "TARDIS Hat Girl," and am known as such by all.
2013: Anatomy, Experimental Design, Genetics, Forestry, Disease Detectives

ptkid
State: TX

Post by ptkid » March 19th, 2012, 2:20 pm

havenguy wrote:I meant some of the less well known ones, such as Semmelweis and Jesty. I need some more space on my note sheet, but I don't want to take off something I might need.
I wouldn't. You don't exactly need to know them and an event supervisor shouldn't ask about them. Maybe in your state they constantly ask things like that so you might want to add it.
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality

sciolympian
State: DE

Post by sciolympian » March 19th, 2012, 7:07 pm

hey guys i'm back. had to make a new account (The Strugglebear IV) until i could find my password again. happy to have sciolympian back again

deezee
State: IL

Post by deezee » March 22nd, 2012, 2:57 pm

ptkid wrote:
havenguy wrote:I meant some of the less well known ones, such as Semmelweis and Jesty. I need some more space on my note sheet, but I don't want to take off something I might need.
I wouldn't. You don't exactly need to know them and an event supervisor shouldn't ask about them. Maybe in your state they constantly ask things like that so you might want to add it.
In general, the rules don't say you need to know all these people. Maybe know the really famous ones (Snow, Koch, Pasteur, etc.) unless your states likes to add these types of people. I've only had 1 question regarding some guy named Goldberger.
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.

rkoopma2
State: MI

Post by rkoopma2 » March 24th, 2012, 5:33 am

on our regionals test we had a bunch of questions on 'famous' outbreaks. It doesn't really seem like we should have to know these. but where could I fing info on them?
2012 state Events
Anatomy and Physiology: 6
Disease Detectives: 3
Microbe Mission: 21
Protein Modeling: 2

"As government expands, liberty contracts" - Ronald Reagan

Ethan1
Division: B
State: WI

Post by Ethan1 » March 24th, 2012, 8:44 am

Wisconsin State DD test was written slightly poorly and the event supervisors could not answer any questions regarding what the poorly written test meant. Tables were inaccurate and made little sense and the test required us writing on a cramped note sheet. This was slightly surprising for the regional test was actually better written than the state test.

EpicFailure
State: WI

Post by EpicFailure » March 24th, 2012, 7:34 pm

Ethan1 wrote:Wisconsin State DD test was written slightly poorly and the event supervisors could not answer any questions regarding what the poorly written test meant. Tables were inaccurate and made little sense and the test required us writing on a cramped note sheet. This was slightly surprising for the regional test was actually better written than the state test.
The WI DD test wasn't so bad for us. Are you talking about the 2x2 table where they gave you tidbits and you had to use logic to fill the table out? It was slightly confusing at first, but once you read it twice, you can do the math. My partner and I each took a page of the answer sheet. We did have to write small on a some explanation parts (such as the reason why frogs aren't commonly associated with Salmonella) but we had enough room since most of the answers only asked for a couple of words & numbers. The only part where I thought it was slightly confusing was where it asked you to identify the type of analytic study (out of case-control, cohort, or neither) used. The directions were a bit unclear as it didn't tell you what to do exactly with the phrases. For example, one of them was something like "a study that analyzes the cause of the illness using people that are sick and people that aren't sick", which made sense according to the directions. However, another was "people from the school are falling ill and it is suspected the cause is cafeteria food". It didn't make very much sense if you pick on the sentence structure, but we just assumed it meant the best type of study applied to the scenario. One thing at the beginning of the test, the definitions used for matching the word to its definition were a bit broad. We had one left over that said "the incidence in a population" and the word "incidence" was left from the word bank. We matched everything else according to our cheat sheet and all the others made sense except for that one. I think it was a generally well-written test, as last year State, there were a ton of calculations and the event supervisors couldn't clarify which units (%, rate per population, out of 100,000 etc.) the answers must be expressed in. So if you put the answers in the wrong form (we were lucky), you would have gotten half the test wrong even though you knew how to do the problems.

Return to “2012 Study Events”