Disease Detective B/C

butter side up
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: The TARDIS, temporarily stopped at 221B Baker Street

Re: Disease Detective B/C

Postby butter side up » November 30th, 2011, 12:57 pm

I have three main questions:

Will properties/symptoms/other information about various diseases be present on the test?

How do we know if an outbreak is "major" or not? The wikipedia list of epidemics is, well, quite gargantuan. ;)

And finally, will the tests depend a lot upon the speed you are able to do the problems?

Thanks a lot!
1. They are not really common, but I find that they do show up with some regularity. I would devote maybe 1/2 to 1/4 of a page to a chart with common food-bourne illnesses and other important ones (E. coli 0157:H7, salmonella,cholera, influenza, etc...) and their agents (this is really important- it shows up a lot- bacteria/virus/prion/etc). A summary of their symptoms, treatments, and likely sources is also helpful, as are some quick notes, like important outbreaks.
2. A "major outbreak" depends on the context, but I've never seen a question on if an outbreak qualifies as major. I suppose it would just be dependant on the mortality/ morbity rate. It might be referring to the famous historical out breaks, like John Snow's cholera outbreak.
3. You don't need to rush, but you should be able to do the problems pretty quickly. Most of these tests are reasonable lengths, but it isn't one of those that you have to speed-write nonstop. I suppose at some point you will be going too slow just based on common sense, but it isn't usually too big of a deal. Most people will finish the tests in time.
I am the one called "TARDIS Hat Girl," and am known as such by all.
2013: Anatomy, Experimental Design, Genetics, Forestry, Disease Detectives

Sherry Berry
Division: B
State: MO

Postby Sherry Berry » December 6th, 2011, 3:20 pm

Question:

I've never done this event before, and I was wondering if they ask you about basic epidemiology questions at competition? Or is the whole test JUST about Food Borne Illnesses?
"No man can resist these lumps."

akatsuki9
Division: C

Postby akatsuki9 » December 6th, 2011, 5:04 pm

From my experience, they'll ask you epidemiology questions as well.
Quoth the raven... "NEVERMORE"

Sherry Berry
State: MO

Postby Sherry Berry » December 8th, 2011, 6:56 pm

Thanks.

Now I need to modify my cheat sheet...
"No man can resist these lumps."

danny9696
State: CA

Postby danny9696 » December 10th, 2011, 3:48 pm

Can someone check the validity of the problem situation (outbreak of Norovirus) in this test? http://scioly.org/w/images/f/f2/Dis.pdf
The answer key says it uses a case-control test, however (http://scioly.org/w/images/b/b3/Dis-sol.pdf) all of the details of the outbreak seem to indicate that it should use a cohort test.

Thanks!

summit
State: CO

Postby summit » December 11th, 2011, 6:42 am

Can someone check the validity of the problem situation (outbreak of Norovirus) in this test? http://scioly.org/w/images/f/f2/Dis.pdf
The answer key says it uses a case-control test, however (http://scioly.org/w/images/b/b3/Dis-sol.pdf) all of the details of the outbreak seem to indicate that it should use a cohort test.

Thanks!

We've been wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking!

Starapollo1
State: IN

Postby Starapollo1 » December 12th, 2011, 9:34 am

Has anyone found any good sources regarding the math portion? That is my section for this event, and though competent, I do at times struggle with taking the information in the text and figuring the relative risk. If anyone has any sites/sources (besides what’s on sonic.org) that would be much appreciated!
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th

akatsuki9

Postby akatsuki9 » December 12th, 2011, 12:39 pm

Believe it or not, everybody who I asked recommended wikipedia... It's actually pretty good!
Quoth the raven... "NEVERMORE"

SciBomb97
State: AL

Postby SciBomb97 » December 20th, 2011, 9:40 pm

The only thing about wikipedia is that the science articels are all written by nerds who have too much time to annoy other nerds with their profoundly ridiculous vocabulary.
You should try reading the stuff about physics. They're all written by professors/ they've been edited by professors who want us to despair at their terrible choice of words.
It's their way of saying "Wikipedia sucks" :ugeek:
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness

Flavorflav
State: NY

Postby Flavorflav » December 22nd, 2011, 5:18 am

Thanks!
Yeah, it should be a cohort study. Presumably the writer was misled by the fact that most investigations of food poisoning have to use the case-control design, because you usually start with a bunch of sick people and have to find out if they were more likely to have eaten the pot de creme. In this case, they have complete information about who ordered the pot de creme and who did not. Those who did form a cohort, defined by exposure. In a case-control study, cases are defined by developing the disease. They should use relative risk instead of odds ratio, too, because they have attack rates.

ETA: it probably wouldn't have been salmonella, either. Mode incubation period is usually close to 20 hours, so symptoms would not have hit overnight.

Return to “2012 Study Events”