EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Fermi Questions C

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Yes, so if it was 4.9E3, your answer would be 3, but if it was 5E3, then your answer would be 4. You just round to the closest exponent really. (4900 is closer to 1000 than 10000, 5000 rounds up to 10000.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by 49ers »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:Yes, so if it was 4.9E3, your answer would be 3, but if it was 5E3, then your answer would be 4. You just round to the closest exponent really. (4900 is closer to 1000 than 10000, 5000 rounds up to 10000.
so thats the whole reasoning behind that concept?
How do you record your answer? Do you record it as (for example) just 4 if the answer is 1*10^4 or would you write it all out?
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
ESU Warrior '21
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics; Earth and Space Science major; Math minor.
Get me out of this place *gestures wildly at USA*
hmcginny
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by hmcginny »

You record your answer as the power of 10. So you would write 4 in your example.
Harriton 2013 (Captain 2012-2013)
Penn 2017

2014 PA State Compound Machines Supervisor

Past Events: Fermi, Thermo, WIDI, Maglev, TPS, Chem Lab, Mission, Sounds, Trajectory, Mousetrap, etc.
49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by 49ers »

In the rules it says all teams will have the same amount of time to answer the questions. Does this mean a set amount of time per question or set amount of time for all questions? And is there a time given yet?
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
ESU Warrior '21
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics; Earth and Space Science major; Math minor.
Get me out of this place *gestures wildly at USA*
Schrodingerscat
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KS

Post by Schrodingerscat »

I am assuming the same amount of time rule means that is the event supervisor thinks starting the test will take 3-4 minutes they should decide all teams will start the test 5 minutes into the 50 minute block so all teams have 45 minutes instead of some teams having more or less time. I personally think the wording of the rules when it says "as many as possible" implies the questions should not have individual time limits.
Marble101
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by Marble101 »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:Yes, so if it was 4.9E3, your answer would be 3, but if it was 5E3, then your answer would be 4. You just round to the closest exponent really. (4900 is closer to 1000 than 10000, 5000 rounds up to 10000.
Unless you think Magnitude Notation caused you to over-estimate. Then you round 5000 down. It could go either way.
Schrodingerscat wrote:I am assuming the same amount of time rule means that is the event supervisor thinks starting the test will take 3-4 minutes they should decide all teams will start the test 5 minutes into the 50 minute block so all teams have 45 minutes instead of some teams having more or less time. I personally think the wording of the rules when it says "as many as possible" implies the questions should not have individual time limits.
Isn't time a tie breaker?
Schrodingerscat
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Marble101 wrote:
Schrodingerscat wrote:I am assuming the same amount of time rule means that is the event supervisor thinks starting the test will take 3-4 minutes they should decide all teams will start the test 5 minutes into the 50 minute block so all teams have 45 minutes instead of some teams having more or less time. I personally think the wording of the rules when it says "as many as possible" implies the questions should not have individual time limits.
The way I read that is if someone leaves early the time will be recorded, and that could be used to break a tie of two basically identically scoring teams.
OldSpice
State: NY

Post by OldSpice »

Schrodingerscat wrote:
Marble101 wrote:
The way I read that is if someone leaves early the time will be recorded, and that could be used to break a tie of two basically identically scoring teams.
I feel like that would cause problems...someone should probably submit a clarification.
The man your man could smell like.
Event [RCS Invite]
Fermi Questions [4]
Forestry [7]
Remote Sensing [4]
Robot Arm [-]
ecleteric
State: FL

Post by ecleteric »

Does anyone know roughly how much time you have per question?
Schrodingerscat
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

It depends upon the test, my three invite tests so far have been 20-30 questions. However, a supervisor could put as many questions as they wanted.

Return to “2012 Study Events”