Fermi Questions C

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: MD

Re: Fermi Questions C

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » October 14th, 2011, 8:22 am

Yes, so if it was 4.9E3, your answer would be 3, but if it was 5E3, then your answer would be 4. You just round to the closest exponent really. (4900 is closer to 1000 than 10000, 5000 rounds up to 10000.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Postby 49ers » October 20th, 2011, 7:41 am

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:Yes, so if it was 4.9E3, your answer would be 3, but if it was 5E3, then your answer would be 4. You just round to the closest exponent really. (4900 is closer to 1000 than 10000, 5000 rounds up to 10000.

so thats the whole reasoning behind that concept?
How do you record your answer? Do you record it as (for example) just 4 if the answer is 1*10^4 or would you write it all out?
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
If you need a person to create study materials, I am available. Literally any event.
You are now free to lose the game.
Ursinus Bearcox 2020
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Bio-medical Engineering

hmcginny

Postby hmcginny » October 20th, 2011, 9:24 am

You record your answer as the power of 10. So you would write 4 in your example.
Harriton 2013 (Captain 2012-2013)
Penn 2017

2014 PA State Compound Machines Supervisor

Past Events: Fermi, Thermo, WIDI, Maglev, TPS, Chem Lab, Mission, Sounds, Trajectory, Mousetrap, etc.

49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby 49ers » October 24th, 2011, 7:24 am

In the rules it says all teams will have the same amount of time to answer the questions. Does this mean a set amount of time per question or set amount of time for all questions? And is there a time given yet?
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
If you need a person to create study materials, I am available. Literally any event.
You are now free to lose the game.
Ursinus Bearcox 2020
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Bio-medical Engineering

Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
State: KS

Postby Schrodingerscat » October 24th, 2011, 7:52 am

I am assuming the same amount of time rule means that is the event supervisor thinks starting the test will take 3-4 minutes they should decide all teams will start the test 5 minutes into the 50 minute block so all teams have 45 minutes instead of some teams having more or less time. I personally think the wording of the rules when it says "as many as possible" implies the questions should not have individual time limits.

Marble101
Division: C
State: NJ

Postby Marble101 » October 24th, 2011, 8:35 pm

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:Yes, so if it was 4.9E3, your answer would be 3, but if it was 5E3, then your answer would be 4. You just round to the closest exponent really. (4900 is closer to 1000 than 10000, 5000 rounds up to 10000.

Unless you think Magnitude Notation caused you to over-estimate. Then you round 5000 down. It could go either way.

Schrodingerscat wrote:I am assuming the same amount of time rule means that is the event supervisor thinks starting the test will take 3-4 minutes they should decide all teams will start the test 5 minutes into the 50 minute block so all teams have 45 minutes instead of some teams having more or less time. I personally think the wording of the rules when it says "as many as possible" implies the questions should not have individual time limits.

Isn't time a tie breaker?

Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Schrodingerscat » October 25th, 2011, 5:15 am

Marble101 wrote:
Schrodingerscat wrote:I am assuming the same amount of time rule means that is the event supervisor thinks starting the test will take 3-4 minutes they should decide all teams will start the test 5 minutes into the 50 minute block so all teams have 45 minutes instead of some teams having more or less time. I personally think the wording of the rules when it says "as many as possible" implies the questions should not have individual time limits.

The way I read that is if someone leaves early the time will be recorded, and that could be used to break a tie of two basically identically scoring teams.

OldSpice
State: NY

Postby OldSpice » November 6th, 2011, 3:43 pm

Schrodingerscat wrote:
Marble101 wrote:

The way I read that is if someone leaves early the time will be recorded, and that could be used to break a tie of two basically identically scoring teams.

I feel like that would cause problems...someone should probably submit a clarification.
The man your man could smell like.
Event [RCS Invite]
Fermi Questions [4]
Forestry [7]
Remote Sensing [4]
Robot Arm [-]

ecleteric
State: FL

Postby ecleteric » December 31st, 2011, 10:22 am

Does anyone know roughly how much time you have per question?

Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Schrodingerscat » December 31st, 2011, 10:40 am

It depends upon the test, my three invite tests so far have been 20-30 questions. However, a supervisor could put as many questions as they wanted.

rkoopma2
State: MI

Postby rkoopma2 » January 11th, 2012, 12:46 pm

How much do you guys study for this event? It seems like you can't really study anything -- just practice
2012 state Events
Anatomy and Physiology: 6
Disease Detectives: 3
Microbe Mission: 21
Protein Modeling: 2

"As government expands, liberty contracts" - Ronald Reagan

Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Schrodingerscat » January 11th, 2012, 1:02 pm

rkoopma2 wrote:How much do you guys study for this event? It seems like you can't really study anything -- just practice

I personally do not study much, but I suppose the two main ways (other than practicing problems) would be to either memorize specific commonly used numbers or to read books and/or websites that contain numerical trivia.

slytherin-at-heart
State: NC

Postby slytherin-at-heart » January 12th, 2012, 9:05 am

Other than doing practice question and gathering basic knowledge that might be helpful, does anyone else have a way to study for this? I'm afraid that I'll get bored of just doing practice problems rather quickly.
2012 Events: Remote Sensing, Experimental Design, Forensics, Fermi Questions

OldSpice

Postby OldSpice » January 15th, 2012, 9:30 am

slytherin-at-heart wrote:Other than doing practice question and gathering basic knowledge that might be helpful, does anyone else have a way to study for this? I'm afraid that I'll get bored of just doing practice problems rather quickly.

I don't know about others, but I'm really good at retaining numbers. So personally I just read random fact books, webpages, etc.
The man your man could smell like.
Event [RCS Invite]
Fermi Questions [4]
Forestry [7]
Remote Sensing [4]
Robot Arm [-]

quizbowl

Postby quizbowl » January 15th, 2012, 11:58 am

I got 4th at the Athens - 42 questions, finished in 33 minutes. No unusual questions, some funky math ones (23! * 34! * 41!, I think) and a few general randomness ones. Great job to Solon, I heard you guys got 32 5's or something :O
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS

<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

Return to “2012 Study Events”