Fermi Questions C

Locked
User avatar
rkoopma2
Member
Member
Posts: 53
Joined: April 9th, 2010, 7:56 am
Division: C
State: MI
Location: my parents say I'm off in my own little world ;)

Re: Fermi Questions C

Post by rkoopma2 » January 11th, 2012, 12:46 pm

How much do you guys study for this event? It seems like you can't really study anything -- just practice
2012 state Events
Anatomy and Physiology: 6
Disease Detectives: 3
Microbe Mission: 21
Protein Modeling: 2

"As government expands, liberty contracts" - Ronald Reagan

Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 348
Joined: March 2nd, 2011, 7:10 pm
Division: Grad
State: KS
Location: Kansas City metro

Re: Fermi Questions C

Post by Schrodingerscat » January 11th, 2012, 1:02 pm

rkoopma2 wrote:How much do you guys study for this event? It seems like you can't really study anything -- just practice
I personally do not study much, but I suppose the two main ways (other than practicing problems) would be to either memorize specific commonly used numbers or to read books and/or websites that contain numerical trivia.

slytherin-at-heart
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: January 12th, 2012, 8:48 am
Division: C
State: NC

Re: Fermi Questions C

Post by slytherin-at-heart » January 12th, 2012, 9:05 am

Other than doing practice question and gathering basic knowledge that might be helpful, does anyone else have a way to study for this? I'm afraid that I'll get bored of just doing practice problems rather quickly.
2012 Events: Remote Sensing, Experimental Design, Forensics, Fermi Questions

User avatar
OldSpice
Member
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: November 6th, 2011, 9:32 am
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Spackenkill High School

Re: Fermi Questions C

Post by OldSpice » January 15th, 2012, 9:30 am

slytherin-at-heart wrote:Other than doing practice question and gathering basic knowledge that might be helpful, does anyone else have a way to study for this? I'm afraid that I'll get bored of just doing practice problems rather quickly.
I don't know about others, but I'm really good at retaining numbers. So personally I just read random fact books, webpages, etc.
The man your man could smell like.
Event [RCS Invite]
Fermi Questions [4]
Forestry [7]
Remote Sensing [4]
Robot Arm [-]

User avatar
quizbowl
Member
Member
Posts: 1044
Joined: April 10th, 2010, 3:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Syosset High, WLI, NY --> UChicago '16

Re: Fermi Questions C

Post by quizbowl » January 15th, 2012, 11:58 am

I got 4th at the Athens - 42 questions, finished in 33 minutes. No unusual questions, some funky math ones (23! * 34! * 41!, I think) and a few general randomness ones. Great job to Solon, I heard you guys got 32 5's or something :O
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

Ohai
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: October 20th, 2011, 2:04 pm
Division: C
State: KS

Re: Fermi Questions C

Post by Ohai » January 17th, 2012, 2:27 pm

I haven't faced any factorials in any of the tournaments I've been to. They must not be that popular in the Kansas region... But just in case, how would one ideally (quickly, fairly accurately) find a factorial during a Fermi Test? Or do you just have to memorize general ones?

User avatar
49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 371
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 7:22 am
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Campo
Contact:

Re: Fermi Questions C

Post by 49ers » January 18th, 2012, 7:13 am

Ohai wrote:I haven't faced any factorials in any of the tournaments I've been to. They must not be that popular in the Kansas region... But just in case, how would one ideally (quickly, fairly accurately) find a factorial during a Fermi Test? Or do you just have to memorize general ones?
I have been wondering about this as well. I had one question at an invitational that had three factorials multiplied by each other (something like 23!*34!*45!).
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
Ursinus Bearcox 2020
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics and Astronomy major; Bio, Math minors
Nu Delta Omicron founder.

User avatar
EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3068
Joined: January 17th, 2009, 7:32 am
Division: Grad
State: MD
Location: At work trying to be a real adult
Contact:

Re: Fermi Questions C

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » January 18th, 2012, 8:42 am

49ers wrote:I have been wondering about this as well. I had one question at an invitational that had three factorials multiplied by each other (something like 23!*34!*45!).
quizbowl wrote:I got 4th at the Athens - 42 questions, finished in 33 minutes. No unusual questions, some funky math ones (23! * 34! * 41!, I think) and a few general randomness ones. Great job to Solon, I heard you guys got 32 5's or something :O
:P

I'd probably round the numbers in the factorial to get 23! as 1*1*1*1*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*20*20*20*20*20*20*20*20*20, and then combine that to get (10^10)*(10^9)*(2^9). Since 2^9 is 512, that would be a factor of 19+3=22. However, I don't really do Fermi, so I don't know if you can round like that.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki


So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Ohai
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: October 20th, 2011, 2:04 pm
Division: C
State: KS

Re: Fermi Questions C

Post by Ohai » January 19th, 2012, 1:34 pm

EASTstroudsburg13
That's actually just what I was thinking of, rounding the factors to their nearest tens. If I ever face one, I'll probably skip it and go back to it on the test. But, like I said before, I've never seen one and didn't even know they were on any Fermi tests until just a while ago.

Ohai
Member
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: October 20th, 2011, 2:04 pm
Division: C
State: KS

Re: Fermi Questions C

Post by Ohai » January 19th, 2012, 1:34 pm

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:
49ers wrote:I have been wondering about this as well. I had one question at an invitational that had three factorials multiplied by each other (something like 23!*34!*45!).
quizbowl wrote:I got 4th at the Athens - 42 questions, finished in 33 minutes. No unusual questions, some funky math ones (23! * 34! * 41!, I think) and a few general randomness ones. Great job to Solon, I heard you guys got 32 5's or something :O
:P

I'd probably round the numbers in the factorial to get 23! as 1*1*1*1*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*20*20*20*20*20*20*20*20*20, and then combine that to get (10^10)*(10^9)*(2^9). Since 2^9 is 512, that would be a factor of 19+3=22. However, I don't really do Fermi, so I don't know if you can round like that.
Sorry, I messed up the quote on my last post.

Locked

Return to “2012 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests