49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Anatomy B/C

Post by 49ers »

Does anyone have some information on the chemical breakdown of proteins and fats?
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
ESU Warrior '21
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics; Earth and Space Science major; Math minor.
Get me out of this place *gestures wildly at USA*
SciBomb97
Division: C
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SciBomb97 »

49ers wrote:Does anyone have some information on the chemical breakdown of proteins and fats?
Proteins are broken down mainly by pepsin (produced as pepsinogen by the parietal cells of the stomach and activated by HCl) and some pancreatic enzymes like trypsin, chymotrypsin, and carboxypeptidase.
Before fats are digested, they are first emulsified by bile in the small intestine. The bile (or rather, the bile salts in the bile) aggregate the fats into small digestable droplets called mycelles. Then, pancreatic lipases begin the chemical breakdown of triglycerides and fatty acids.
Hope that helps. :D
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
ptkid
State: TX

Post by ptkid »

SciBomb97 wrote:
49ers wrote:Does anyone have some information on the chemical breakdown of proteins and fats?
Proteins are broken down mainly by pepsin (produced as pepsinogen by the parietal cells of the stomach and activated by HCl) and some pancreatic enzymes like trypsin, chymotrypsin, and carboxypeptidase.
Before fats are digested, they are first emulsified by bile in the small intestine. The bile (or rather, the bile salts in the bile) aggregate the fats into small digestable droplets called mycelles. Then, pancreatic lipases begin the chemical breakdown of triglycerides and fatty acids.
isn't it micelles not mycelles...
As for the histology of the respiratory system and the digestive system does anybody have some nice websites?
Also if someone could pm me or post where which type of epithelium is located in every part of the r/d systems that woulld be nice! :D
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality
SciBomb97

Post by SciBomb97 »

ptkid wrote:
SciBomb97 wrote:
isn't it micelles not mycelles...
As for the histology of the respiratory system and the digestive system does anybody have some nice websites?
Also if someone could pm me or post where which type of epithelium is located in every part of the r/d systems that woulld be nice! :D
You're right, it is micelles. Spelling is one of my least favorite things when it comes to science...

Here's the first link I found after searching google for "digestive system epithelial lining": http://www.technion.ac.il/~mdcourse/274203/lect10.html
You know, that took like twenty seconds. ;)
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
ptkid
State: TX

Post by ptkid »

SciBomb97 wrote:Here's the first link I found after searching google for "digestive system epithelial lining": http://www.technion.ac.il/~mdcourse/274203/lect10.html
You know, that took like twenty seconds. ;)
Thanks! I should have been less lazy. :oops:
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality
foreverphysics

Post by foreverphysics »

Laziness cannot be condoned in Science Olympiad.
Anyways, for respiratory system: http://www.lab.anhb.uwa.edu.au/mb140/Co ... respir.htm
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
KittenPsychology
Division: B

Post by KittenPsychology »

foreverphysics wrote:Laziness cannot be condoned in Science Olympiad.
Anyways, for respiratory system: http://www.lab.anhb.uwa.edu.au/mb140/Co ... respir.htm
Oh good, this answers my question from before :D
Hello, I'm John.

Sherlock (after doing something in reverse): Reverse pyschology!
Me: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Lestrade: Inconcievable!
Sherlock: I know what it means, I just like saying it.
Mrs. Hudson: You guys are awesome!
chia
State: IL

Post by chia »

At our regionals yesterday, the test was formatted differently than I've seen. It was separated into three packets, one for each system, each with around 42 questions (40 MC and a few free response). The respiratory system questions were actually pretty easy (several on respiratory volumes, simple anatomy), but the excretory and especially digestive system questions went way more in depth. Almost no questions on any diseases. None of the questions were unfair, I just thought it was a strange balance.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
LCovington
State: FL

Post by LCovington »

I went to regionals 11-February and got Eleventh, which i'm happy about (not bad for the First Year?)

The questions were pretty easy, at least to me, the only part I found hard was the part about the heart (I didn't know that the heart was part of the respiratory system, thus I had no notes on it)
2013 Events: Anatomy B (4) and Disease Detectives B (5)

Yes, the guy in my avatar is me, don't ask.
chia
State: IL

Post by chia »

Um, they're not really supposed to test on the heart - it's part of the cardiovascular system, not the respiratory. Internal respiration (gas exchange in blood vessels, transport of gases in blood) is fair game (at least at the Division C level) and maybe something about the pulmonary arteries/veins would be in the ballpark, but not the heart itself. What exactly was it asking about it?
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>

Return to “2012 Study Events”