Anatomy B/C

SciBomb97
Division: C
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy B/C

Post by SciBomb97 »

butter side up wrote:Has anyone ever seen a lab practical portion of an anatomy test? We had three lab stations at regionals, in addition to the test packet. They were pretty basic, like doing pH testing on some liquids, IDing them, and telling where they'd be found in the body, (HCl and bicarbonate) and then doing structure ID on an actual set of pig lungs!!! It was actually really fun, but I'd never seen that before, and was wondering how common that was.
We only wish we could do something like that. There was nothing lab-related at regionals or state.
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by Kokonilly »

SciBomb97 wrote:
butter side up wrote:Has anyone ever seen a lab practical portion of an anatomy test? We had three lab stations at regionals, in addition to the test packet. They were pretty basic, like doing pH testing on some liquids, IDing them, and telling where they'd be found in the body, (HCl and bicarbonate) and then doing structure ID on an actual set of pig lungs!!! It was actually really fun, but I'd never seen that before, and was wondering how common that was.
We only wish we could do something like that. There was nothing lab-related at regionals or state.
I've done it for three years, and I've never seen anything like that. But that's totally fair game, and it sounds really cool!
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

butter side up wrote:It was actually really fun, but I'd never seen that before, and was wondering how common that was.
All depends on the resources of who writes the test. I haven't yet encountered an Anatomy practical, so consider yourself privledged. Actually, I lied, I saw a reptile organ in Amphibians & Reptiles...and a dissected snake with some external anatomy ID. Not for this event, I guess.
SciBomb97

Post by SciBomb97 »

In terms of competitions, what kinds of questions on metabolism and nutrition are out there?
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

So today, smile
geminicross
State: GA

Post by geminicross »

I have 5 days to learn this :shock:
off to the wiki
butter side up
State: PA

Post by butter side up »

SciBomb97 wrote:In terms of competitions, what kinds of questions on metabolism and nutrition are out there?
As far as metabolism goes, it mainly seems to be "what substance breaks down [starches, proteins, lipids, etc], where is it produced, and where does it meet the food?" I once saw a question about the effects of exercise on digestion, but it was a brief statement saying that digestion slows down to direct blood supply to the skeletal muscles, lungs, and brain. Nothing too strenuous.
I haven't seen much other than that. I haven't seen anything on nutrition, and I don't expect anything too in-depth unless they are going to try and tie it in with the diseases...
I am the one called "TARDIS Hat Girl," and am known as such by all.
2013: Anatomy, Experimental Design, Genetics, Forestry, Disease Detectives
durza0wnsyou
State: NY

Post by durza0wnsyou »

So, due to conflicts I just got posted on to this event today, with states coming up in a week, I'm wondering what I should really focus on studying considering my limited time. Ive looked through the wiki and the resources for general information, Im just curious what people think I should focus on given my limited amount of time. Thanks.
SciBomb97

Post by SciBomb97 »

First of all, go through the training handout very thorougly. There's a lot of good stuff on there.
Secondly, you should familiarize yourself with the structural anatomy of all of the organs of each system (or you could split it up between you and your partner, if you have one). Stuff like "what holds the trachea and some of the larger bronchi open?" (C-shaped rings of hyaline cartilage) or "what is the name for the folds on the inside of the stomach which allow stomach distension?" (rugae).
Thirdly, go over the basic processes of each system more carefully and in more detail. This should come only after you familiarize yourself with the above.
Fourthly, since you probably won't have time to go beyond that (I doubt you'll even get the above down pat, it's hard stuff...) put the things that either require a lot of memorization time or are very detailed (but required) on the resource sheet. Some things that you should include are: a labelled spirograph, labelled pictures of the different layers of GI tract organs, chart of different digestion-regulating hormones+their functions+where they are made, diseases+short descriptions, a graphic representation of the breathing mechanism, and a labelled picture of tooth structure. That's only to name a few...
Fifthly, good luck. :D
-- -- --

So today, smile
foreverphysics

Post by foreverphysics »

So I was looking at some Anatomy info today, and I got a bit confused at one part.
It says that non-acid glycosphingolipids are completely different in the proximal and distal regions of the large intestine and seemingly a disease in one individual tested. According to the information source, the Lea-5 glycolipid was the major complex blood group glycolipid there, except in the proximal ascending part of one case, in which the Leb-6 glycolipid was predominant. What would cause this difference?
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Kokonilly »

I updated the respiratory diseases part of the wiki and the whole digestive system and digestive secretions pages - I think the digestive system page had waaaay too many categories and subcategories. It made it a little difficult to read. I hope no one objects!

Return to “2012 Study Events”