Astronomy C

Locked
User avatar
Infinity Flat
Member
Member
Posts: 274
Joined: March 12th, 2010, 4:00 pm
Division: Grad
State: WA
Location: Camas, WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by Infinity Flat » February 29th, 2012, 7:44 pm

Swag wrote:Okay, comp is pretty soon and I'm still kinda shaky. I mean I've done a lot of research, but like what exactly should I know about type 1a supernova? And as for the known DSO's, what should I know about them?

Please & Thank you :)
If you're using a laptop (which I highly recommend), save at least one web page (e.g. wikipedia article) for each thing you can expect to be tested on, including the DSO's and type 1a supernova.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)

JumpUp12
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: February 23rd, 2012, 11:10 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by JumpUp12 » March 1st, 2012, 7:47 pm

:o :o :o :o :o My competition is tomorrow! Any tips for the most important things to review? Theory? Math? DSOs? Type Ia Supernovae?

samm547
Member
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: February 11th, 2012, 2:52 pm
Division: C
State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by samm547 » March 6th, 2012, 12:52 pm

JumpUp12 wrote::o :o :o :o :o My competition is tomorrow! Any tips for the most important things to review? Theory? Math? DSOs? Type Ia Supernovae?
Yes, those are the things you should review. :lol:

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 601
Joined: December 3rd, 2011, 9:45 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 5 times
Contact:

Re: Astronomy C

Post by syo_astro » March 6th, 2012, 6:46 pm

Can someone explain how Julian date works? I have tried doing it, I understand that it starts on January 1, 4713 BC. I just don't get how to convert between dates. Also, is the purpose of julian dates so we don't have to deal with leap years? Is there anything difficult about RA and Dec besides plotting it? Are there any highly recommended websites on general astronomy info (so far I am using like the first two pages of that from google, 3 glossaries, apod/NASA, bunches of other things)? Thank you very much to anyone who responds.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 829
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:41 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: 04h 35m 55.239s, +16° 30′ 33.49″
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Astronomy C

Post by AlphaTauri » March 6th, 2012, 8:51 pm

themachine_ wrote: Are there any highly recommended websites on general astronomy info (so far I am using like the first two pages of that from google, 3 glossaries, apod/NASA, bunches of other things)? Thank you very much to anyone who responds.
I like to look at college astronomy classes that have some or all of their material online (unfortunately I'm not on a computer right now; otherwise I could link you to a site that has a collection of links to college astro courses). I do recall a very comprehensive course from the University of Alabama and though I can't remember any of the other good ones off the top of my head, I'm sure you can find 'em with a google search or two.

Osennecho
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: December 23rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by Osennecho » March 6th, 2012, 9:28 pm

AlphaTauri wrote:
themachine_ wrote: Are there any highly recommended websites on general astronomy info (so far I am using like the first two pages of that from google, 3 glossaries, apod/NASA, bunches of other things)? Thank you very much to anyone who responds.
I like to look at college astronomy classes that have some or all of their material online (unfortunately I'm not on a computer right now; otherwise I could link you to a site that has a collection of links to college astro courses). I do recall a very comprehensive course from the University of Alabama and though I can't remember any of the other good ones off the top of my head, I'm sure you can find 'em with a google search or two.
Could you provide that link when you get the chance :o?
I need new information to read... The same repetitive material in all the textbooks I have isn't useful enough for the PA regional/state astro tests (By far hardest tests I have ever taken in science olympiad all invitationals included).
2012 Events: (Regionals, States, Nationals); N/A=conflict
Astronomy (6th, 7th, 16th)
Dynamic Planet (N/A, N/A, 11th)
Optics (2nd, 3rd, 5th)
Remote Sensing (N/A, 5th, 47th)

Team Overall (3rd, 2nd, 14th)
It's been a life changing 6 year experience.

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 601
Joined: December 3rd, 2011, 9:45 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 5 times
Contact:

Re: Astronomy C

Post by syo_astro » March 6th, 2012, 9:35 pm

Osennecho wrote:
AlphaTauri wrote:
themachine_ wrote: Are there any highly recommended websites on general astronomy info (so far I am using like the first two pages of that from google, 3 glossaries, apod/NASA, bunches of other things)? Thank you very much to anyone who responds.
I like to look at college astronomy classes that have some or all of their material online (unfortunately I'm not on a computer right now; otherwise I could link you to a site that has a collection of links to college astro courses). I do recall a very comprehensive course from the University of Alabama and though I can't remember any of the other good ones off the top of my head, I'm sure you can find 'em with a google search or two.
Could you provide that link when you get the chance :o?
I need new information to read... The same repetitive material in all the textbooks I have isn't useful enough for the PA regional/state astro tests (By far hardest tests I have ever taken in science olympiad all invitationals included).
Oh, thanks Alpha. That actually helped a lot for the search terms alone. Yea, I have NY states coming up, need to prepare (I understand states is harder, but apparently the test maker blatantly ignores the rules for some questions, some of the questions I heard from our person last year were ridiculous). So, I have been trying to learn everything, it is starting to become hard to just read so much.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

samm547
Member
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: February 11th, 2012, 2:52 pm
Division: C
State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by samm547 » March 7th, 2012, 3:14 am

Osennecho wrote:
AlphaTauri wrote:
themachine_ wrote: Are there any highly recommended websites on general astronomy info (so far I am using like the first two pages of that from google, 3 glossaries, apod/NASA, bunches of other things)? Thank you very much to anyone who responds.
I like to look at college astronomy classes that have some or all of their material online (unfortunately I'm not on a computer right now; otherwise I could link you to a site that has a collection of links to college astro courses). I do recall a very comprehensive course from the University of Alabama and though I can't remember any of the other good ones off the top of my head, I'm sure you can find 'em with a google search or two.
Could you provide that link when you get the chance :o?
I need new information to read... The same repetitive material in all the textbooks I have isn't useful enough for the PA regional/state astro tests (By far hardest tests I have ever taken in science olympiad all invitationals included).


If you're pretty good at Physics (taken classical mechancis 1, e.g. AP Physics C) try http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-28 ... ring-2006/, and if you are better (taken thermodynamics, a second course in Classical Mechanics at the level of Goldstein, or quantum mechanics) try http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-90 ... ring-2006/

If you have less background, (AP Physics B, Honors Physics, no Physics) try http://www.astr.ua.edu/Courses.html AY101

AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 829
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:41 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: 04h 35m 55.239s, +16° 30′ 33.49″
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Astronomy C

Post by AlphaTauri » March 7th, 2012, 12:53 pm

I seem to have lost or otherwise neglected to save the original page of links (oops), but as I recall, most of the links were useless and/or broken anyways. Here's some of the better courses I pulled off of that site: Ohio State, University of Tennessee, and UC San Diego.
Osennecho wrote:I need new information to read... The same repetitive material in all the textbooks I have isn't useful enough for the PA regional/state astro tests (By far hardest tests I have ever taken in science olympiad all invitationals included).
I'm with ya on that, though it's worse for you since the guy who writes for States also writes the SE test. Last year at States, my partner and I were completely blown away by how tough the test was - we couldn't even answer the first question! (But at least now it's forever ingrained in my mind that the "MACS" in MACSJ0717.5+3745 stands for MAssive Cluster Survey). Heh, scores were funny though - 1st and 2nd place were in the 70s or low 80s on a 100-point test, 3rd place...was around 25...and then the 33 remaining teams must've scored within a 24-point spread...
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

User avatar
JCicc
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: July 2nd, 2005, 4:18 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Location: About 8 kpc from Sgr A*
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by JCicc » March 7th, 2012, 6:22 pm

I have it on very strong authority that the writer of the PA state astronomy exam (and the SE regional astronomy exam as well) has extremely high expectations. Interestingly enough, the PA teams tend to do extremely well on the astronomy exam at nationals, which he has nothing to do with. As a veteran, AlphaTauri, you should have a pretty good idea of what this year's state exam will look like. That being said, perhaps last year's state exam was a bit too difficult.

Locked

Return to “2012 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest