Astronomy C

Constellations
Division: C
State: IA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by Constellations »

I did quite well with Reach for the Stars for state... but because our high school team needed more people, me being a freshman, I got transferred to that one from my middle school team (where I'm from, my district is bringing both the Div. B and C teams to nationals). I will now work on this for nationals. Seems very different. I'll need WAY more notes, and memorizing constellations and stars doesn't seem to be what this is all about.
'10: Compute This, Fossils, Trajectory
'11: Anatomy, Fossils, Optics
'12: Astronomy, Optics, Rocks & Minerals
Die Welt ist nicht perfekt, aber sie ist immer noch schoen. The world is not perfect, but it's still beautiful.
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: KS

Post by FullMetalMaple »

Constellations wrote:memorizing constellations and stars doesn't seem to be what this is all about.
You could be asked about constellations for DSOs and other such questions, but otherwise, you're right. The focus is indeed different (as far as I can tell - I never competed in Reach for the Stars, as I've only been in div C). Good luck at nationals!
Swag wrote:Anyone have any practice questions at all? Besides those on the Scio national website. Just worried I'm missing info. I have images of all the DSO's, solid info on them. But I feel like there;s so much more.
If you go to the Test Exchange, under Tufts Wright Center, you should find the national tests from when stellar evolution was last a topic.
pihi
State: MI

Post by pihi »

What kind of questions will they ask?
2012: Astronomy, Forestry
CLIO: Astronomy - 4th, Forestry - 16
Regionals: Astronomy - 3rd, Forestry - 4th Team - 2nd
States: Astronomy - 3rd, Forestry...............18th :( Team - 13th (Best new school)

Only 365 more days til states!
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

pihi wrote:What kind of questions will they ask?
Here is a link to a thread that contains some good information on the event. I suggest you read through it to get a better idea on the topics and types of questions.
Link
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
pihi

Post by pihi »

The link just linked back to this forum...
States: Astronomy - 3rd, Forestry...............18th :( Team - 13th (Best new school)

pihi

Post by pihi »

Hmmm I have a question.

Say you know a galaxy has a hydrogen line at 656 nm. The redshifted line is now at 1115 nm. What would be the redshift value and how fast would the galaxy be going. Also, how far is the galaxy away from us? (H= 70)

Check my work please :)

So you can find redshift by using (observed - emitted)/emitted = (1115-656)/656 = 459/656 = .7 This is the redshift value.
Now you can use v= zc = .7 * 300000 km/s = 210000 km/s. This is how fast the galaxy is moving away from us.
Then you can use Hubble's Law for distance. D = V/H = (210000 km/s)/(70 km/s/Mpc) = about 3000 Mpc.

Did I do it right? Any response would be helpful :D

CurryGuy123
State: PA

Post by CurryGuy123 »

I feel like this may have been asked before, but do you guys use laptops or binders? And whichever you use, do you have your partner have the same stuff in each or do you each keep different stuff and split the test?

Thanks!
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

CurryGuy123 wrote:I feel like this may have been asked before, but do you guys use laptops or binders? And whichever you use, do you have your partner have the same stuff in each or do you each keep different stuff and split the test?

Thanks!
We do two laptops, with the same info on each. Typically we'll split the test, and then go over it together at the end.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

We only had one binder at regionals, but we'll get either another binder or a laptop for states.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

From invitationals to states we used one binder and one laptop. The binder we put in really quick info on DSOs, formulas, diagrams. The laptop we had a lot of extra information. It worked out pretty well for us, but it really just depends what is easiest to sort through (for me it was the binder, my partner wanted the laptop).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Return to “2012 Study Events”