Astronomy C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Astronomy C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Astronomy C

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Stellar evolution anyone?

I like how type 1a supernovae seem to be emphasized this year, since it works well with evolution, but allows it to branch out a little bit into variable stars and other subjects. This could be an interesting topic, although I do admit that I really liked active galaxies last year.

I'm currently working on a DSO table to put on the wiki. You can find it on my user page: Eaststroudsburg13's Userpage. I have it set up for Epsilon Aurigae (our favorite) as a demonstration, so please take a look at it, and let me know what you think and what you think needs to be added, if anything. I can only put so much information on the table before it starts wrapping around, so there is a limit.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
astroblue
Division: C
State: WA
Been thanked: 0

Post by astroblue »

This is my first year doing astronomy and from what I've read, it's one of the most difficult events :|. I think I have enough materials to cover the stellar evolution/supernovae part, but can you guys suggest anything like books or websites to help me learn the physics part of the event? Like reading light curves and spectra and whatnot?
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

It is rather difficult, since there's a lot of information, but you're allowed a laptop and/or a binder, so you can take a lot in with you. In terms of textbooks, I haven't used any personally (although now would be a good time for me to get one :P ), so I can't really help you there. In terms of websites, normally just by Googling key topics you can find what you want. However, I can give you a brief overview of light curves and spectra.

Light curves show the magnitude of a star plotted over time. The time is usually measured in Julian days, and this is useful with variable stars like supernovae since they show magnitude changes with time. This picture is an example of a light curve, and it is especially relevant since it's about supernovae:
Light spectra show what wavelengths of light are emitted or absorbed by an object (this is the difference between absorption and emission spectra). This is useful since certain gases have certain spectra associated with them, so you can identify what gases are coming from an object. I'm not that familiar with other types of spectra.

I hope this was helpful. I don't know how advanced you are, so you might know this already. :? If you have further questions, feel free to ask. :)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
astroblue

Post by astroblue »

Thank you!
I'm not very "advanced" in astronomy, I'm doing astronomy because I think my physics abilites might come in useful here :P. I don't have any other questions currently, but I might get some more once my coach hands out the rules lol
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by smartkid222 »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:Stellar evolution anyone?

I like how type 1a supernovae seem to be emphasized this year, since it works well with evolution, but allows it to branch out a little bit into variable stars and other subjects. This could be an interesting topic, although I do admit that I really liked active galaxies last year.
They changed the topic!? Gah.
The rules have not been released yet so how do you know?
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
State: KS

Post by Schrodingerscat »

smartkid222 wrote: They changed the topic!? Gah.
The rules have not been released yet so how do you know?
The short event descriptions are now on the website.
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by smartkid222 »

Thanks!

Has stellar evolution been a topic before?
How close is it to variable stars? Would old tests from when the topic was variable stars be good for practice?
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
Infinity Flat

Post by Infinity Flat »

smartkid222 wrote:Thanks!

Has stellar evolution been a topic before?
How close is it to variable stars? Would old tests from when the topic was variable stars be good for practice?
I'm almost positive that an important part of the event will be variable stars. Equally important will be Stellar Evolution in general, and especially Supernovae.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)
salcedam
State: IL

Post by salcedam »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:Stellar evolution anyone?

I'm currently working on a DSO table to put on the wiki. You can find it on my user page: Eaststroudsburg13's Userpage. I have it set up for Epsilon Aurigae (our favorite) as a demonstration, so please take a look at it, and let me know what you think and what you think needs to be added, if anything. I can only put so much information on the table before it starts wrapping around, so there is a limit.
I like what you did. I don't know if it's possible to do this without having the table wrap, but you could add more than one image of each DSO (preferably one of each type: infrared, composite, etc.). Besides that, it looks good. :D
2011 - 2012 Season Results:
Whiting, IN - Astro (1st), 4N6 (2nd), Fermi (2nd)
Boyceville, WI - Astro (3rd), 4N6 (1st)
Belvidere, IL - 4N6 (1st), Fermi (2nd)
WSU, OH - 4N6 (12th)
Loyola, IL - 4N6 (1st), Fermi (1st), TPS (3rd)
OCC Regional - 4N6 (1st), Fermi (1st)
UCF Nationals - 4N6 (8th)

Return to “2012 Study Events”