Astronomy C

BYHscioly
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by BYHscioly »

Do any of you know if the Nationals test is up?

The Nationals test was mad fun... and long. Pretty much every question required extensive knowledge in DSO's, calculations, and the stellar evolution theme. Really good test, but also really hard.

And I love the quality of the images. Finally, the pictures are colored and not horribly mutilated.

And a question for the winning team - approximately what percent of the test were you sure you got right and what percent do you think you got right?
A/B/C for us was 50/25/10, 70/50/25. Did any team finish?
1st Fermi (2013), 2nd Astro (2014), 3rd DP (2014), 4th DP (2012)
pjgscioisamazing
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by pjgscioisamazing »

BYHscioly wrote:Do any of you know if the Nationals test is up?

The Nationals test was mad fun... and long. Pretty much every question required extensive knowledge in DSO's, calculations, and the stellar evolution theme. Really good test, but also really hard.

And I love the quality of the images. Finally, the pictures are colored and not horribly mutilated.

And a question for the winning team - approximately what percent of the test were you sure you got right and what percent do you think you got right?
A/B/C for us was 50/25/10, 70/50/25. Did any team finish?
I just checked the AAVSO site and it hasn't been posted yet.

I too thought it was a very well-written and very difficult test, both of which made it a great event. I agree that it was a lot of fun... I was very stressed during the test but enjoyed doing it.

When my partner and I were talking after the event, we were fairly confident, maybe thinking we got around 60% of the test right (although judging by the percentage score for first place last year, 69%, we probably got over 60% in the end) . We finished all but one question, because we couldn't even think of a guess for one of them. I'm not sure about each individual part though, my partner and I were confident in most of A, a fair amount of B, and C was eh.
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
tad_k_22

Post by tad_k_22 »

I'm glad you both thought the test was good! pjgscioisamazing's winning score was a 68%.

The exam, key, and full solutions to the physics questions will be up in a couple weeks, sorry, it takes time for the AAVSO to process it. Hopefully it's online by June.
Old Events:
Astronomy, Remote Sensing (Both Mars and Global Warming), Dynamic Planet (Oceanography/Earthquakes and Volcanoes), It's About Time, Technical Problem Solving, and I really don't want to count, but did fail at-Fermi Questions.
pjgscioisamazing

tad_k_22 wrote:I'm glad you both thought the test was good! pjgscioisamazing's winning score was a 68%.

The exam, key, and full solutions to the physics questions will be up in a couple weeks, sorry, it takes time for the AAVSO to process it. Hopefully it's online by June.
How many total points were there on the test?

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
tad_k_22

Post by tad_k_22 »

About 136, \pm 1.
Old Events:
Astronomy, Remote Sensing (Both Mars and Global Warming), Dynamic Planet (Oceanography/Earthquakes and Volcanoes), It's About Time, Technical Problem Solving, and I really don't want to count, but did fail at-Fermi Questions.
pjgscioisamazing

tad_k_22 wrote:About 136, \pm 1.

Sounds longer than I remember it being. I feel like events in SciO go by extremely fast. What is actually around an hour feels like 15-20 minutes, if that.

I can't wait to see the test

Orange714
Division: C

Post by Orange714 »

Anyone have any idea what the topic for next year will be? Will it be mostly the same as this year? I found this:

http://newyorkscioly.org/SOPages/Events.html

But it doesn't say what the topic/focus is unlike some of the other events >.<
Schrodingerscat
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat »

I recall hearing in the national supervisor's videos that the focus will shift to the stellar evolution of more massive stars.
Cheesy Pie
State: MI

Post by Cheesy Pie »

Stars of 8+ solar masses go supernova. If their cores are 1.4 to 3.2 solar masses, it becomes a neutron star. If it's at least 3.2 solar masses, it becomes a black hole. Also many neutron stars rotate very quickly and are called pulsars because of the regular radiation pulses.
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

Schrodingerscat wrote:I recall hearing in the national supervisor's videos that the focus will shift to the stellar evolution of more massive stars.
Yep, I've heard through the grapevine as well that it's going to be stellar evolution with a focus on Type II supernovae and/or high-mass stars - not that there's much difference, since those two kind of go hand in hand anyways.

Looking forward to another (slightly diabolical) test from Cicc at States...
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

Return to “2012 Study Events”