salcedam
Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by salcedam » September 25th, 2011, 9:44 pm

Infinity Flat wrote:
bookluvr-yoyo39 wrote:Hi! it is my first year doing astronomy in scioly, only because i just entered high school. as for my background, i did solar system for 2 years in the past.. thank you so much for the websites and the books!! do you have any tips as to other books for astronomy?

thanks....
also, does anyone know how the test is usually structured?
As far as books, just check your library for some interesting ones. Astronomy books can be found in the science section. Just be sure to avoid anything with a focus on stargazing or the like.
Another good online resource is college websites. Occasionally, an Astronomy professor will post course notes online. These can be a valuable addition to your notes; I recommend checking the AST 101 courses first.

There are three main components to most astronomy tests: questions on specific DSOs (Deep space objects), general theory, and calculations. How these components are arranged and interconnected is up to the writer. I have personally never seen this event set up in stations.
As Infinity said, the set-up depends on the writer. I have experienced a test at one invitational that was in stations. Each station pertained to either a DSO or some general topic (the year this test was, one of the stations was on interpreting light curves given, another was naming and giving information on some specific DSO).
2011 - 2012 Season Results:
Whiting, IN - Astro (1st), 4N6 (2nd), Fermi (2nd)
Boyceville, WI - Astro (3rd), 4N6 (1st)
Belvidere, IL - 4N6 (1st), Fermi (2nd)
WSU, OH - 4N6 (12th)
Loyola, IL - 4N6 (1st), Fermi (1st), TPS (3rd)
OCC Regional - 4N6 (1st), Fermi (1st)
UCF Nationals - 4N6 (8th)

Swag
Division: C
State: ME

Post by Swag » September 28th, 2011, 4:02 pm

Soooo, you guys wanna explain... Everything? :)
"I will either find a way, or make one." - Hannibal Barca

AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri » September 28th, 2011, 4:56 pm

You have rules, yes?

Just google it. Seriously.

Even if you don't have rules, I've just given you a pretty good idea of this year's topics.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Post by fishman100 » September 28th, 2011, 5:16 pm

Swag wrote:Soooo, you guys wanna explain... Everything? :)
You could start on This year's DSO's and then revisit the topics you don't know later.
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo » September 28th, 2011, 9:54 pm

fishman100 wrote:
Swag wrote:Soooo, you guys wanna explain... Everything? :)
You could start on This year's DSO's and then revisit the topics you don't know later.
I find it best to start by researching the specific DSOs. Wikipedia is a good place to begin. In your research, you will come across concepts and terms that warrant further examination, so your study of the DSOs becomes a good springboard for the rest of the event. Plus, doing preliminary groundwork on the DSOs helps give context to the more conceptual research you will do later.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

astroblue
State: WA

Post by astroblue » October 1st, 2011, 9:44 pm

Would anyone be interested in a collaborative effort to compile the solutions for the types of problems that are frequently found on astro tests (math/HR diagram/light curves etc)? I figure comprehensive solutions to a wide variety of problems would be good resources for binders/laptops.
I know answer keys exist for tests on the test exchange/wright center archive, but, to me, they aren't very useful without solutions.

Gillen
State: MO

Post by Gillen » October 2nd, 2011, 6:19 am

astroblue wrote:Would anyone be interested in a collaborative effort to compile the solutions for the types of problems that are frequently found on astro tests (math/HR diagram/light curves etc)? I figure comprehensive solutions to a wide variety of problems would be good resources for binders/laptops.
I know answer keys exist for tests on the test exchange/wright center archive, but, to me, they aren't very useful without solutions.
I think that would be a good idea. I know it would help me a lot.

bookluvr-yoyo39
State: FL

Post by bookluvr-yoyo39 » October 11th, 2011, 1:15 pm

i would be very interested. does anyone know the specific formula's and their explanations for astronomy? thank you....
Be nice to your enemies. It will drive them crazy.

Better to light a candle than curse the darkness

AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri » October 11th, 2011, 4:48 pm

Er, well, there are a lot of equations in Astronomy, so there's not really a set list you have to know.

Some of the more common ones are redshift, recessional velocity/Hubble's Law, distance modulus, mass of a binary system, Kepler's 3rd Law, Stefan-Boltzmann Law...

I'd suggest just googling the ones I listed above to start; they're pretty commonplace and the internet can probably explain them a lot better than I can. If you have specific questions about 'em, feel free to ask here!

Also, I second (third? fourth?) the idea of a collaborative solution key to the practice tests.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

cngu23
State: MD

Post by cngu23 » October 11th, 2011, 6:34 pm

So I've heard that this is a difficult event and that even though you are allowed to use laptops loaded with information, most teams still tend to do poorly on the exam, percentage wise.
My school hasn't been very strong over the past years at the event, and I might decide to try it this year, so does anyone have any advice, such as textbooks, study materials? And also, if you have participated in this event, what aspect makes it difficult? Just the subject in general, a broad scope of testable material, or something else? Any feedback can help. Thank You!
Marriotts Ridge 11-
Walter Johnson 09-11

13 MD Regional/State
Material S (2/-) TPS (-/2)
12 MD Regional/State
Remote S(2/6) Water Q(2/4) Optics (-/5)
11 MD Regional
Remote S(2) Eco(2) D Planet(3)

Return to “2012 Study Events”