RBears6
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by RBears6 »

mnstrviola wrote:
BYHscioly wrote:What did you guys think of the National DP test?
The C test was a nice test with a nice length and difficulty. I really like how there was no multiple choice on it, like last year, since I can't do multiple choice.
We ended up getting fourth even though we dropped a page of the test on the floor (pages 1 and 2) and didn't do it...
Sounds like a good test to me, with no mc and all.

Were there any questions that were really hard?
The division B test would have been a challenging test if you didn't know the concepts that were on it.
#SpartanUp

2014-2015 events-
Experimental Design
Air Trajectory
GeoLogic Mapping
mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

Well, like, were there any specific questions you guys remembered that were interesting?
RBears6

Post by RBears6 »

mnstrviola wrote:Well, like, were there any specific questions you guys remembered that were interesting?
Well ther were a couple of questions that asked for the elevation of the water table in an area and all it gave you was two numbers on top of each other. It was confusing at first and the It made more sense after you understood it.
#SpartanUp

2014-2015 events-
Experimental Design
Air Trajectory
GeoLogic Mapping
mnstrviola
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

So were the numbers were heights in a well, or water table heights in two areas...?
RBears6

Post by RBears6 »

mnstrviola wrote:So were the numbers were heights in a well, or water table heights in two areas...?
They represented water table elevation and water table depth. I believe that is what it was.
#SpartanUp

2014-2015 events-
Experimental Design
Air Trajectory
GeoLogic Mapping
TYG
State: NY

Post by TYG »

Personally I didn't like the division B test. It had only 50 questions and 40 being multiple choice. Additionally, there were ten questions (1/5th of the test) that was essentially just a poorly labelled black and white diagram... I might be being harsh about the event but comparing it with last years nationals test, it was far off in quality.
BYHscioly
State: NJ

Post by BYHscioly »

The question about the water gap confused me a little bit since I didn't know that term. After looking at the pictures I managed to figure out what it was and know how it was formed and such.

The topography map seemed hard, but my partner was doing that part, so I didn't really know how it was.

The averaging of the flood values wasn't hard, but particularly time-consuming, since I had to borrow a calculator and I kept on missing decimal points or adding signs when I plugged the value in. Probably wasted 10 minutes on that.

This test wasn't particularly hard as long as you knew the material. It was straightforward; the main challenge was the length. Despite not looking at our notes except for getting the equations to use, we barely finished the test (minus the page that we dropped on the ground).

I also liked how the test used real-world data instead of just theoretical problems.
1st Fermi (2013), 2nd Astro (2014), 3rd DP (2014), 4th DP (2012)
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

TYG wrote:Personally I didn't like the division B test. It had only 50 questions and 40 being multiple choice. Additionally, there were ten questions (1/5th of the test) that was essentially just a poorly labelled black and white diagram... I might be being harsh about the event but comparing it with last years nationals test, it was far off in quality.
Ugh, bad diagrams are the worst.

When I did Glaciers, we'd often have terrible diagrams and were asked to identify different features of a glacier but we could barely tell what the arrows were even pointing to (they'd often appear either to be pointing all at the same place, or to not be pointing at anything at all).
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
BYHscioly

Post by BYHscioly »

Does anyone know how many points the C test was? And how many points page 2 was (we dropped that page on the floor and didn't do it - it had the longitudinal profile of a river and stuff)? Does anyone know the scores of the top 6 teams too?

Glaciers next year!
BYHscioly

Post by BYHscioly »

Additionally, does anyone have a copy of the test (C)?

Return to “2012 Study Events”