rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by rocketman1555 »

The test will be released in next year's test packet.
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.
BYHscioly
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by BYHscioly »

Do you have to pay for the test packets?

Also, will teams ever get their score back - kinda curious on how we did.

Thanks!

I tried to draw a diagram of a glacier with two cirques and a paternoster lake just below it with a crevasse and stuff, but it just turned out to look really wrong. Especially given my rapidly declining drawing skills. o.o

Can't wait until the rule sheets are out :)
1st Fermi (2013), 2nd Astro (2014), 3rd DP (2014), 4th DP (2012)
fanjiatian

Post by fanjiatian »

If someone could post some old Glaciers test onto the Scioly Test Archive, that'd be awesome.
Steelfoam
State: WI

Post by Steelfoam »

BYHscioly wrote:What did you guys think of the National DP test?
The C test was a nice test with a nice length and difficulty. I really like how there was no multiple choice on it, like last year, since I can't do multiple choice.
We ended up getting fourth even though we dropped a page of the test on the floor (pages 1 and 2) and didn't do it...
Somehow our string ended up on the floor so we had to do sinuosity with the ruler :(
2013 State,Nats: Disease (2,31) Dynamic (1,8) Forensics (1,4) Chem Lab (-,35)
(region, state, nats)
2012: Disease (1st, 9th,15th) Exp Des (1st,2nd, 21st) Protein (1st,1st,11th) Dynamic (1st,2nd, 21st) Forensics (1st, 6th, 2nd!!!)
2011 Nats: Crime 8th Exp 9th, Orni 11th, CJAP 18th, Disease 19, Dynamic 20
fozendog
State: WA

Post by fozendog »

Steelfoam wrote:
BYHscioly wrote:What did you guys think of the National DP test?
The C test was a nice test with a nice length and difficulty. I really like how there was no multiple choice on it, like last year, since I can't do multiple choice.
We ended up getting fourth even though we dropped a page of the test on the floor (pages 1 and 2) and didn't do it...
Somehow our string ended up on the floor so we had to do sinuosity with the ruler :(
Really!? :shock:
We had to do that at State and it was really heard to do!
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality
mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

I had to measure sinousity with a ruler and determine if the river was meandering at regionals. We skipped measuring because we were in a hurry and just guessed that the most curvy one was meandering. We were correct xD.
BYHscioly
State: NJ

Post by BYHscioly »

You're allowed to use a string? Wow... At least my estimations were right :D

So many weird names in glaciers... Quick - what's a jokulhlaup? What's a paternoster? What is the difference between a bergschrund and a randkluft? What the heck is an arret? Names are all so weird...

I saw a few nationals DP tests before... forgot where - sorry.
1st Fermi (2013), 2nd Astro (2014), 3rd DP (2014), 4th DP (2012)
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: KS

Post by FullMetalMaple »

BYHscioly wrote:So many weird names in glaciers... Quick - what's a jokulhlaup? What's a paternoster? What is the difference between a bergschrund and a randkluft? What the heck is an arret? Names are all so weird...
The names seem weird because they're often Icelandic - jokulhlaup, for example. It's only natural, with so many glaciers in Iceland. I think you mean "arête," not arret. "Arête" is French for edge, which gives a clue to its appearance. "Pater noster" is Latin for "our father," so named because pater noster lakes look like rosary beads. "Bergschrund" and "randkluft" are German, I think.

As for what they are, a jokulhlaup is a large glacial flood common in Iceland (imagine that). A pater noster lake is an erosional feature of a valley glacier that forms when a depression on the valley floor, caused by the abrasive action of ice and bedrock, fills with water. A bergschrund is a type of crevasse where moving ice separates from standing ice. Unlike a randkluft, which has one ice wall, a bergschrund has two. An arête is another erosional feature of a valley glacier that looks like a winding sharp ridge; it forms when cirques on opposite sides of a divide grow, narrowing the divide between them. It can also form when the divide between two glaciers narrows.

Clearly, I'm not psyched for this event at all. I mean, hey, it's not as if I used to walk on glaciers that were practically in my backyard or anything... ;)
fozendog
State: WA

Post by fozendog »

Those names look horribly complicated! I wish I spoke Icelandic, that would be so useful. I will feel better when the rules come out and I will actually know what to study for. Do you guys know if USGS is a good place to look up information on glaciers and such for DP next year?
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: KS

Post by FullMetalMaple »

fozendog wrote:Those names look horribly complicated! I wish I spoke Icelandic, that would be so useful. I will feel better when the rules come out and I will actually know what to study for. Do you guys know if USGS is a good place to look up information on glaciers and such for DP next year?
Ég elska íslenska! It's a very complicated language, though. Not that it's stopping me or anything...

I didn't see much on USGS, but I did find this, which might be a useful introduction. My current knowledge comes mostly from experience and a general geology textbook, so I haven't done much Internet research yet. Maybe I should go look for resources when glaciers was last the topic.

Return to “2012 Study Events”