Forestry B/C

icyfire
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forestry B/C

Post by icyfire »

I'm having a lot of trouble identifying and distinguishing different Elms by leaf. What are some distinctions between the Hackberry leaf, American Elm leaf, and the Slippery Elm leaf?

I'm also having a hard time ID-ing between the Eastern Hophornbeam, the American Hornbeam, the Yellow Birch, and the Sweet Birch.

thanks in advance!
PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by PacificGoldenPlover »

In general, I tend to think of Hornbeam as being thinner and ovoid (like a willow) than hophornbeam.
Hackberry is shaped like a scalene triangle, very different from slippery and american elms. The best way to identify Sweet and yellow birches is by their bark; they are different colors.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)
icyfire

Post by icyfire »

Alright thanks!! I feel like a super noob aha, but I've got 2 more things I'm just getting stuck on.

1. Distinguishing needles + Cones in the Pine Family. Like, pretty much every tree there I have no clue what to look for to distinguish between them. I know that most people generally say this is the hardest part of forestry...So ANY tips at all about this would be awesome!

2. NY List has Black Ash, Green Ash, and White Ash. Sorry for bothering those who don't need to know Black and Green ash! However I'm staring at these leaves and I can't make out anything to distinguish between them :(

any help at all would be really appreciated! thanks!
PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by PacificGoldenPlover »

Well, what I tend to do is just separate out the ones that are really easy to identify, and then classify the rest.
Easy to identify:
Sugar Pine (Giant cone, 5 needles/bundle)
Western White Pine (8" cone, 5 needles/bundle)
Eastern White Pine (5" cone, 5 needles/bundle)
Bristlecone Pine (5 short needles/bundle, bristles on cone)
Whitebark Pine (5 short needles/bundle, no bristles on cone)
Red Pine (2 long needles/bundle)
Jack Pine ( 2 short needles/bundle, small smooth cone)
Lodgepole Pine ( 2 short needles/bundle, prickly cone)

Another idea which I used was separating the pine family into 3 groups: 2,3, and 5 needles. Then, trying to find differences among cones between members of the same group. They probably would only have people identify needles of very distinctive specimens, like Singleleaf Pinyon, Jack, Longleaf, and Shortleaf Pine.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)
icyfire

Post by icyfire »

Thanks!

@Fellow new yorkers, is there a good way to tell Scarlet Oak and Pin Oak apart by their leaves and/or acorns?

Generally Scarlet oak seems to have more "lobes", but sometimes Pin Oak can have the same number as scarlet oak.
JSGandora
State: NJ

Post by JSGandora »

Also the thing is, some pines can have different number of needles per bundle on the same tree, which is annoying. I think the only way is to know what one individual needle looks like.
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

Pines are hard, but once you get into it, it's not so terrible. Shortleaf pines have needles of 3-4 inches and are light green; Virginia pines have needles of 1-2 inches that are twisted and yellowish green; longleaf pines have needles of 8-18 inches and dark green; loblolly pines have needles of 4-8 inches long and are lush green and slightly twisted, etc., etc.
Also, go to an Arboretum somewhere. Those places WILL help you more than you can imagine. Yeah, I'm lucky, having a comprehensive arboretum about ten minutes away from my house, but...
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

foreverphysics wrote:Pines are hard, but once you get into it, it's not so terrible. Shortleaf pines have needles of 3-4 inches and are light green; Virginia pines have needles of 1-2 inches that are twisted and yellowish green; longleaf pines have needles of 8-18 inches and dark green; loblolly pines have needles of 4-8 inches long and are lush green and slightly twisted, etc., etc.
Also, go to an Arboretum somewhere. Those places WILL help you more than you can imagine. Yeah, I'm lucky, having a comprehensive arboretum about ten minutes away from my house, but...
It's funny, pretty much the only group I didn't have trouble with was the pine family back when I did this event years ago. I couldn't ID any other specimens, but I could do the pines. Spruces on the other hand....*shudder*
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
purplepeopleeater
State: TX

Post by purplepeopleeater »

I THOUGHT that pines would be the hardests to identify, but the TEXAS pines actually aren't that hard.
at greenhill they used the national list instead of the state list...
still got first, but it caught us off gaurd.
No matter what the experiment's result, there will always be someone eager to:(a) misinterpret it(b) fake it, or (c) believe it supports his own pet theory.
2010 Nationals---
  • 3rd Model This, 17th Bio Process Lab, 27th Science Crime Busters
kateak
State: MI

Post by kateak »

Is is OK for states to put a bunch of trees on the state list that aren't on the national list? The rules say "All questions will be restricted to specimens on the Official National Tree List."

Just wondering because the Michigan list has about 20 extra trees that aren't on the national list.

Return to “2012 Study Events”