Forestry B/C

CulturallyScientific
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forestry B/C

Post by CulturallyScientific » February 5th, 2012, 10:29 am

For Southern Cali, we just memorized everything :( Yes, it gets annoying, but you should be able to identify any tree.
Some specific California trees that are good to know, however:
-Coast Redwood
-Joshua Tree
-Giant Sequoia
-Bald Cypress

Hope this helped!
'16, she/her, environmental-scientist-to-be: green gen, invasives, disease, ex. design, widi.

"…everything flows in an eternal present." (James Joyce)

mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus

Post by mnstrviola » February 5th, 2012, 11:38 am

I'm not quite clear on this: Do we have to memorize all trees on the National Tree List? Or is there a specific Science Olympiad Tree List?

JSGandora
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by JSGandora » February 5th, 2012, 11:40 am

If your State website posted a tree list, then all tournaments in your state will use that tree list. Invitationals, however, will use the National Tree List and the National Tournament will use the National Tree List.

Vizard007

Post by Vizard007 » February 5th, 2012, 12:08 pm

Oh, I see. Thanks guys! So, should I assume that the majority of the IDing will be through pictures? Since I doubt that our regionals will be able to find specimen for the whole list? Cuz, our regional director is pretty lazy...
It's so easy, even a Badger could do it.

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo » February 5th, 2012, 12:19 pm

Vizard007 wrote:Oh, I see. Thanks guys! So, should I assume that the majority of the IDing will be through pictures? Since I doubt that our regionals will be able to find specimen for the whole list? Cuz, our regional director is pretty lazy...
I wouldn't necessarily assume that. The onus for finding the samples would likely be on the event supervisor, not the regional director.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

Vizard007

Post by Vizard007 » February 5th, 2012, 12:21 pm

Oh, I see. Thanks. :/ But, we don't even have an event supervisor yet. :( And our competition is on March 24th... So, is there something I can assume?

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo » February 5th, 2012, 12:23 pm

Vizard007 wrote:Oh, I see. Thanks. :/ But, we don't even have an event supervisor yet. :( And our competition is on March 24th... So, is there something I can assume?
I don't have any smashing advice...the 3 tests I've seen were all pretty faithful to the rules, so just study each item in the rules.
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

Vizard007

Post by Vizard007 » February 5th, 2012, 12:55 pm

Luo wrote:
Vizard007 wrote:Oh, I see. Thanks. :/ But, we don't even have an event supervisor yet. :( And our competition is on March 24th... So, is there something I can assume?
I don't have any smashing advice...the 3 tests I've seen were all pretty faithful to the rules, so just study each item in the rules.
Okay, thanks Luo! So, I was also wondering, how in depth should we go into this event? Because I know we should know like plant anatomy/physiology, and all that stuff... but how in depth? And should be study these subjects particularly to each species? Or each family of trees? Or both? Thanks so much for all your help! :)

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo » February 5th, 2012, 1:17 pm

Vizard007 wrote:
Luo wrote:
Okay, thanks Luo! So, I was also wondering, how in depth should we go into this event? Because I know we should know like plant anatomy/physiology, and all that stuff... but how in depth? And should be study these subjects particularly to each species? Or each family of trees? Or both? Thanks so much for all your help! :)
I hesitate to narrow down what you need to study, since the questions I've seen run the gamut of topics on the rule sheet. There's not really any way to know in advance exactly what your event supervisor will include, so I find it best to just study everything. I'm sorry for being unable to narrow it down further for you, but it's difficult when the event supervisors at each competition are different and have different test-writing styles.

FueL
State: NY

Post by FueL » February 5th, 2012, 2:01 pm

ID is the most important by far, then any random facts/trivia you can get your hands on about individual trees. Tree anatomy/physiology is usually present on tests but shouldn't be very indepth at all. It depends a lot on the style of your test writer, but from what I've seen specific tree info takes precedence over the general stuff.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.

Return to “2012 Study Events”