PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Forestry B/C

Post by PacificGoldenPlover »

qwertyuioplkjhgfdsa wrote:Would you guys recommend the Sibley or the National Wildlife Field Guide?
Depends on how good you are at IDing. If you feel comfortable identifying all the tree species on the list, and could take whatever id caveats they throw at you, then take either NWF or Audubon. If you are not quite comfortable with identifying all the specimens, I recommend Sibley.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)
tuftedtitmouse12
Been thanked: 0

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

PacificGoldenPlover wrote:
qwertyuioplkjhgfdsa wrote:Would you guys recommend the Sibley or the National Wildlife Field Guide?
Depends on how good you are at IDing. If you feel comfortable identifying all the tree species on the list, and could take whatever id caveats they throw at you, then take either NWF or Audubon. If you are not quite comfortable with identifying all the specimens, I recommend Sibley.
In fact, NWF has it organized that if you were looking for compound leaves, you would go to one section, highlighted with one color. If you wanted simple leaves, that was another section. So it's great because it has something similar to a dichotomous key, with different leaf shapes. I used it for Regionals and am quite satisfied with it. 2nd place, lost to South... :(
peter, peter, peter
135scioly
Division: C
State: MO

Post by 135scioly »

I used the Audobon for regionals, and that got me 2nd, but I really knew my iding. I just recently got Sibley and am using it for state. I like it much better because the pics are with the tree, but unfortunately, there are no other facts, which are in Audobon. Since we are allowed two field guides, those two would definitely be my best bet, one good for iding, the other for random facts.
2014 Events: Entomology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives
JSGandora
State: NJ

Post by JSGandora »

Was Audobon really enough for all the random facts? I copied all the information from Audobon, and a tree encyclopedia and still there were questions we couldn't answer.
135scioly
State: MO

Post by 135scioly »

JSGandora wrote:Was Audobon really enough for all the random facts? I copied all the information from Audobon, and a tree encyclopedia and still there were questions we couldn't answer.
It was enough for me. Well.. I did have a chart we made for our cheat sheet too with stuff such as successin and state trees and symbiosis, but we did rely on the Audobon for a lot of info. Also, unfortunately, Audobon is a really small book, and it was difficult to tab everything. I wanted to do individual trees, but barely had enough room to tab all the families. I am contemplating doing individual trees for Sibley. What did you guys do?
2014 Events: Entomology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives
Starapollo1
State: IN

Post by Starapollo1 »

Hopefully this hasn't been asked yet.

This might be a dumb question, but on the tree list for Indiana it states 'Taxodium distichium' as the scientific name for the 'Baldcypress.' According to the Forest Service: Department of Agriculture, and (guilty look) Wikipedia, the scientific name is 'Taxodium distichum' ... I figured I would just trust the list... is that the wise thing to do?
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by PacificGoldenPlover »

Check the Ohio FAQ/clarifications, if it isn't mentioned there, then just use distichium
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)
oh joy

Post by oh joy »

Does anyone know where one can obtain pressed leaves, not as art, but for studying trees? I've seen one before; they're pressed leaves that come in plastic sheets and they're labeled

I have no idea where to get me one of those
내 호버크라프트는 장어로 가득 차 있어요
KittenPsychology
Division: B
State: AL

Post by KittenPsychology »

You can get pressed leaves easily if you ask most forestry professors. They almost always at least have some for teaching that you can borrow.
Hello, I'm John.

Sherlock (after doing something in reverse): Reverse pyschology!
Me: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Lestrade: Inconcievable!
Sherlock: I know what it means, I just like saying it.
Mrs. Hudson: You guys are awesome!
oh joy

Post by oh joy »

Thanks!
내 호버크라프트는 장어로 가득 차 있어요

Return to “2012 Study Events”