Forestry B/C

tuftedtitmouse12
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forestry B/C

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

awesome90220 wrote:When does the tree list come out for 2013?
When the season starts up again.
peter, peter, peter
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

Any impressions of the Division C test? The test was very rushed, but the information was relatively basic, and my partner and I expected a better placing than what we got (24th).
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
computergeek3
State: PA

Post by computergeek3 »

Luo wrote:Any impressions of the Division C test? The test was very rushed, but the information was relatively basic, and my partner and I expected a better placing than what we got (24th).
I agree that the Division C test was rushed, but I feel that it did a good job covering all the bases. I also think that the supervisor could have done a better job of preserving the live samples that we got. Despite that, my partner and I are somewhat content with our place (12th).
If you can't explain it simply, you don't know it well enough. -Albert Einstein

Bayard Rustin Science Olympiad 2010-2014
Pittsburgh Allderdice Assistant Coach
CulturallyScientific
State: CA

Post by CulturallyScientific »

butter side up wrote:
awesome90220 wrote:wait, was there an Audobon that was the entire US?
No, this was for States, so we only needed Eastern. But there were a lot of bugs on that test. Rather than do a station event, every team got their own station with a bucket of green, recently picked samples, labeled with numbers. Then the test was to ID each sample and answer a few ecology questions, and the tiebreaker was time. I actually liked that setup a lot. But there were a several bug questions on there, and on invite tests, so I knew that there were insects in the NWF. We didn't make it to nationals, so we didn't have the field guide dilemma.
I wish there was a whole US Audobon- I love it for ID, but like to have a second of a different sort for different pictures and information. Sometimes looking at the exact same picture of that maple trying to decide which one it is just doesn't want to happen, so a different book with different images helps. The cool thing about NWF is it has all the images for each tree on one page, so one doesn't have to flip back and forth to berries and fall leaves. I like that. It also has information on the same page as pictures. Saves me from tabbing like eight pages with my fingers while I try and figure out what I am looking at. However, I still haven't found a good way of using it as a primary ID, the way I can with the Audobon. I guess it might just be a matter of familiarity with the layouts.
This is the first time I've heard of the bucket-of-specimens method. I find that while many of my events are station-based, I don't exactly prefer the format of a station test, so the bucket-of-specimens method actually sounds like a great setup. But wouldn't that be sort of circumventing the rules? They say that "Specimens...will be at stations" which is still technically true, but not really what a station event is meant to be like- so does it count? I would love to use that method for any other test, though.
'16, she/her, environmental-scientist-to-be: green gen, invasives, disease, ex. design, widi.

"…everything flows in an eternal present." (James Joyce)
awesome90220
Division: B
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

CulturallyScientific wrote:
butter side up wrote:
awesome90220 wrote:wait, was there an Audobon that was the entire US?
No, this was for States, so we only needed Eastern. But there were a lot of bugs on that test. Rather than do a station event, every team got their own station with a bucket of green, recently picked samples, labeled with numbers. Then the test was to ID each sample and answer a few ecology questions, and the tiebreaker was time. I actually liked that setup a lot. But there were a several bug questions on there, and on invite tests, so I knew that there were insects in the NWF. We didn't make it to nationals, so we didn't have the field guide dilemma.
I wish there was a whole US Audobon- I love it for ID, but like to have a second of a different sort for different pictures and information. Sometimes looking at the exact same picture of that maple trying to decide which one it is just doesn't want to happen, so a different book with different images helps. The cool thing about NWF is it has all the images for each tree on one page, so one doesn't have to flip back and forth to berries and fall leaves. I like that. It also has information on the same page as pictures. Saves me from tabbing like eight pages with my fingers while I try and figure out what I am looking at. However, I still haven't found a good way of using it as a primary ID, the way I can with the Audobon. I guess it might just be a matter of familiarity with the layouts.
This is the first time I've heard of the bucket-of-specimens method. I find that while many of my events are station-based, I don't exactly prefer the format of a station test, so the bucket-of-specimens method actually sounds like a great setup. But wouldn't that be sort of circumventing the rules? They say that "Specimens...will be at stations" which is still technically true, but not really what a station event is meant to be like- so does it count? I would love to use that method for any other test, though.
Our tests were, at regionals, PowerPoint slides as a group, at state, a mad dash across huntingdon college (tiring), and at nationals(obviously) stations.
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
BirdNerd3
Division: C
State: MI

Post by BirdNerd3 »

Is writing in guide books allowed? It is not explicitly forbidden in the rules.
awesome90220
Division: B
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

BirdNerd3 wrote:Is writing in guide books allowed? It is not explicitly forbidden in the rules.
If you mean field guides, then you are allowed to write inbetween empty spaces in it( a useful tip I think I got from forever)
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
CulturallyScientific
State: CA

Post by CulturallyScientific »

awesome90220 wrote:
BirdNerd3 wrote:Is writing in guide books allowed? It is not explicitly forbidden in the rules.
If you mean field guides, then you are allowed to write inbetween empty spaces in it( a useful tip I think I got from forever)
Yes, writing on the actual field guide pages is permitted and very useful! Just be sure not to write on Sticky-note coverups in the guide (that doesn't count!).
'16, she/her, environmental-scientist-to-be: green gen, invasives, disease, ex. design, widi.

"…everything flows in an eternal present." (James Joyce)
TheBookworm
State: FL

Post by TheBookworm »

Umm, this question might have been asked already, but I don't have time to go back and look, sorry :oops: but, is there any difference between B and C??
The ladder of success is never crowded at the top. And I'm at the bottom
JSGandora
State: NJ

Post by JSGandora »

The lists are the same, I would think that the rules are identical as well.

Return to “2012 Study Events”