crazyfloboe
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forestry B/C

Post by crazyfloboe »

FueL wrote:
computergeek3 wrote:That's weird...for C division we had timed stations and trees that encompassed the whole nation
Yep, we had 7 questions per station and it was a huge time crunch. I wonder why they thought it was necessary to make different tests for B and C division.

Ya, I don't know. Though Texas trees do encompass the whole nation in a reality but we were not timed and the was about 4 questions per station hence the 28 minute finish i think there was a total of fifty questions for B
In the end, as we fade into the night~
O.O -.- Its too early
SANDSHREW!
^^^ Favorite pokemon <3
computergeek3
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by computergeek3 »

crazyfloboe wrote:
FueL wrote:
computergeek3 wrote:That's weird...for C division we had timed stations and trees that encompassed the whole nation
Yep, we had 7 questions per station and it was a huge time crunch. I wonder why they thought it was necessary to make different tests for B and C division.

Ya, I don't know. Though Texas trees do encompass the whole nation in a reality but we were not timed and the was about 4 questions per station hence the 28 minute finish i think there was a total of fifty questions for B
that's really weird...C had 140 over 20 stations with 2 minutes per station
If you can't explain it simply, you don't know it well enough. -Albert Einstein

Bayard Rustin Science Olympiad 2010-2014
Pittsburgh Allderdice Assistant Coach
crazyfloboe
Division: C
State: TX

Post by crazyfloboe »

Ya, I don't know. Though Texas trees do encompass the whole nation in a reality but we were not timed and the was about 4 questions per station hence the 28 minute finish i think there was a total of fifty questions for B[/quote]
that's really weird...C had 140 over 20 stations with 2 minutes per station[/quote]

Did dustykingwood's info help you?
In the end, as we fade into the night~
O.O -.- Its too early
SANDSHREW!
^^^ Favorite pokemon <3
awesome90220
Division: B
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

Hey what did you guys all get for the which insects commonly attack the trees( we didn't study for bugs at all :D )
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
butter side up

Post by butter side up »

awesome90220 wrote:Hey what did you guys all get for the which insects commonly attack the trees( we didn't study for bugs at all :D )
Well, one of the most common ones we've seen is the emerald ash borer. I really didn't know any other ones. One of our field guides had some of them, but you had to look them up under the page for the tree they affected.
I am the one called "TARDIS Hat Girl," and am known as such by all.
2013: Anatomy, Experimental Design, Genetics, Forestry, Disease Detectives
awesome90220

Post by awesome90220 »

butter side up wrote:
awesome90220 wrote:Hey what did you guys all get for the which insects commonly attack the trees( we didn't study for bugs at all :D )
Well, one of the most common ones we've seen is the emerald ash borer. I really didn't know any other ones. One of our field guides had some of them, but you had to look them up under the page for the tree they affected.
What field guide did you guys use? we used the general choice( audobon), and there was nothing about bugs
butter side up

Post by butter side up »

awesome90220 wrote:
butter side up wrote:
What field guide did you guys use? we used the general choice( audobon), and there was nothing about bugs
We used the Audobon as our primary, and the bug stuff was in our second field guide, which was the National Wildlife Federation one. We actually really only used the NWF for a second source for information or if we wanted alternate pictures for ID. But the NWF has a lot of ecological information.
awesome90220

Post by awesome90220 »

wait, was there an Audobon that was the entire US?
butter side up

Post by butter side up »

awesome90220 wrote:wait, was there an Audobon that was the entire US?
No, this was for States, so we only needed Eastern. But there were a lot of bugs on that test. Rather than do a station event, every team got their own station with a bucket of green, recently picked samples, labeled with numbers. Then the test was to ID each sample and answer a few ecology questions, and the tiebreaker was time. I actually liked that setup a lot. But there were a several bug questions on there, and on invite tests, so I knew that there were insects in the NWF. We didn't make it to nationals, so we didn't have the field guide dilemma.
I wish there was a whole US Audobon- I love it for ID, but like to have a second of a different sort for different pictures and information. Sometimes looking at the exact same picture of that maple trying to decide which one it is just doesn't want to happen, so a different book with different images helps. The cool thing about NWF is it has all the images for each tree on one page, so one doesn't have to flip back and forth to berries and fall leaves. I like that. It also has information on the same page as pictures. Saves me from tabbing like eight pages with my fingers while I try and figure out what I am looking at. However, I still haven't found a good way of using it as a primary ID, the way I can with the Audobon. I guess it might just be a matter of familiarity with the layouts.
awesome90220

Post by awesome90220 »

When does the tree list come out for 2013?

Return to “2012 Study Events”