Division: B
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forestry B/C

Post by dustykingwood »

computergeek3 wrote:
dustykingwood wrote:
computergeek3 wrote:does anyone know a sure way to tell apart the following trees:
northern/southern catalpas :evil:
american hornbeam vs. yellow/sweet birch
any of the mulberries (I know that white has really deeply toothed margins, but that's about it)
Yes, the Red mulberry is flat colored. it may sound funny but the white mulberry is waxy I haven't really seen a red mulberry that is shiny or a white mulberry that is flat.
Northern Catapala is bigger but if it isnt a live sample (in Texas they use live southern) the southern is more pointed and the north is more heart shaped (southern can almost be round with a point, not as much heart shaped)
AMERICAN HORNBEAM = Devil tree, i have hated it but look at the veins of the american hornbeam they are opposite(meaning they go kinda like ^ but downward not upward) and deeply grooved and double toothed. I would defineatly (idk how to spell sorry) take each one at a time and not all three together, (meaning the hornbeam and the birches) give each one their seperate time and worry about them for a day. no other tree. it helps you see what they are (not to sound cheesy) but when you do that then add them in a test, it defineatly helps. or come up with a song for thier characteristics XD either way its easier to take them each one at a time then add them in with the other trees
Thank you so much! Those are the trees my partner and I have the most trouble with and seeing as our states is friday, it definitely (there's your spelling) helps :D
No problem :) printing out 44 pages of flash cards at this moment (ugh too much workkkkk) but what ever helps XD I hope to see you at nationals I have to ask... have you delt with the hickories yet???
^.^ Chloe "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." Dr. Seuss
computergeek3
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by computergeek3 »

he hickories are pretty bad...here's what i know:
shagbark-shaggy bark, 5 leaflets with the two closest to the tree turned down
bitternut- 9 leaflets
pignut- almost the same as shagbark, but it has nuts (and the bark is not shaggy)
im the biologist/botanist, so ID is really not my forte
If you can't explain it simply, you don't know it well enough. -Albert Einstein

Bayard Rustin Science Olympiad 2010-2014
Pittsburgh Allderdice Assistant Coach
dustykingwood

Post by dustykingwood »

Haha thank you, i personally really hate the hickories but like almost every other tree... Ah i would rejoice if the had the national test made purely of oaks. Anything but pines and hickories (only cause i havent really studied all the pines yet)
^.^ Chloe "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." Dr. Seuss
dustykingwood

Post by dustykingwood »

Also do you do disease detectives? You mentioned bio so i assumed you might be interested in disease detectives or microbe mission. To bad you dont love in texas, one of our state events is wildflowers
computergeek3

Post by computergeek3 »

can anyone tell me what the strobilus of a tree is? I tried a botany dictionary, but it used even more unfamiliar words

dustykingwood

Post by dustykingwood »

computergeek3 wrote:can anyone tell me what the strobilus of a tree is? I tried a botany dictionary, but it used even more unfamiliar words
I believe it is the cone of a gynosperm. so a pine cone such as the female (wood) seed producing cone or the pollen producing male cone
pihi
Division: C
State: MI

Post by pihi »

I understand that Carya Cordiformis has nine leaflets, but one of the people above said that Carya Glabra has the nuts but Carya Ovata also has nuts so how would you tell the difference between Carya Ovata and Carya Glabra? Is there any way to tell just by the leaves?
2012: Astronomy, Forestry
CLIO: Astronomy - 4th, Forestry - 16
Regionals: Astronomy - 3rd, Forestry - 4th Team - 2nd
States: Astronomy - 3rd, Forestry...............18th :( Team - 13th (Best new school)

Only 365 more days til states!
computergeek3

Post by computergeek3 »

pihi wrote:I understand that Carya Cordiformis has nine leaflets, but one of the people above said that Carya Glabra has the nuts but Carya Ovata also has nuts so how would you tell the difference between Carya Ovata and Carya Glabra? Is there any way to tell just by the leaves?
Glabra has 7 leaflets, Ovata has 5
If you're given bark, Ovata peels like mad (hence the name shagbark hickory)

pihi
Division: C
State: MI

Post by pihi »

In the Audubon book, it says glabra usually has 5 leaflets. Also, I don't know if this is specifically to Michigan but also how do you tell the difference between Carya Tomentosa?
2012: Astronomy, Forestry
CLIO: Astronomy - 4th, Forestry - 16
Regionals: Astronomy - 3rd, Forestry - 4th Team - 2nd
States: Astronomy - 3rd, Forestry...............18th :( Team - 13th (Best new school)

Only 365 more days til states!
dustykingwood

Post by dustykingwood »

Just wondering if ya'll are talking about the hickories. if so bitternut usually has nine and pignut and shagbark have 5 but the 3 front leaves of shagbark are big and almost same size and shape pignut has the nuts and the 3 front leaves are small with the middle one normally a bit smaller and differently shaped than hthe two on either side

Return to “2012 Study Events”