rainwhisker567
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forestry B/C

Post by rainwhisker567 »

135scioly wrote:
Gemma W wrote:I usually first put tabs for each main section of the guide, if the guide is divided into sections based on leaf shape or similar. Then I put tabs for each tree family. Finally I go back and tab each tree, also filling out extra information about them inside the guide. This last part takes time, but is very useful when trying to go quickly during competition.
So do you actually write in your field guide? I was considering doing that, but I could not think of anyinfo to write. What do you usually write in it? Also, what field guide do you use? I was just wondering because in the audobon one, there is not very much room to write...
Gemma W and I use the National Wildlife Federation Field Guide to Trees of North America (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/nationa ... 1008801245), I think. Some of the extra information about the trees is from the questions they asked on tests (like ones on the test exchange), and other trivial facts.
No one can do everything, but everyone can do something.
~
2013 Events:
Forestry, Crime Busters, Food Science, and Heredity
tuftedtitmouse12
Division: Grad

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

The NWF is extremely good. The setback is that it doesn't have information for all families, like audubon and sibley have. But the information is quite thorough. We are using that and the Eastern Audubon and I find it more than sufficient
peter, peter, peter
JSGandora
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by JSGandora »

Do you guys have any good links for a comprehensive anatomy of a tree? I googled and all I could find were very simple diagrams that only involved general parts like the leaves, trunk, roots, etc.
PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by PacificGoldenPlover »

For text, you could use any old college/ap bio textbook.
For pictures, what I normally do is type in "<tree part I'm researching> diagram" That usually gets some good diagrams coming up among the basic ones.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)
FueL
Division: C

Post by FueL »

JSGandora wrote:Do you guys have any good links for a comprehensive anatomy of a tree? I googled and all I could find were very simple diagrams that only involved general parts like the leaves, trunk, roots, etc.
The Wikipedia page for tree is surprisingly good.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
qwertyuioplkjhgfdsa
Division: B

Post by qwertyuioplkjhgfdsa »

Would you guys recommend the Sibley or the National Wildlife Field Guide?
tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

I personally, being a Peterson user during ornithology, am less familiar with Sibleys. But I'm using National Wildlife and I find it quite good. I would really recommend it. The info is nice, arranged nicely, and it's easy to browse, being based off leaf shape and such.
peter, peter, peter
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Kokonilly »

qwertyuioplkjhgfdsa wrote:Would you guys recommend the Sibley or the National Wildlife Field Guide?
I am using both, and recommend both. My partner and I are not fond of the separation of pictures and information in the Audobon guides, and the Sibley has a lot of space for writing.
KMHS_Dave

Post by KMHS_Dave »

Kokonilly wrote:
qwertyuioplkjhgfdsa wrote:Would you guys recommend the Sibley or the National Wildlife Field Guide?
I am using both, and recommend both. My partner and I are not fond of the separation of pictures and information in the Audobon guides, and the Sibley has a lot of space for writing.
They're both good, but nothing can top committing information to memory, so you aren't constantly flipping through a book. Time is valueable, and not of the essence.
David Massa
President Emeritus- Kellenberg Memorial High School S.O.
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Kokonilly »

KMHS_Dave wrote:
Kokonilly wrote:
They're both good, but nothing can top committing information to memory, so you aren't constantly flipping through a book. Time is valueable, and not of the essence.
Very true - time is indeed of the essence. KMHS_Dave, that's how the saying goes =P You have to be able to identify things very quickly. Guides help if you get stuck, but you can't rely on them.

Return to “2012 Study Events”