Forestry B/C

FueL
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forestry B/C

Post by FueL »

PacificGoldenPlover wrote:Wait, so there is technically not supposed to be any anatomy/ecology on the test? If so, then yeah, it was a really bad test.
Oh yeah, I see what you're saying. What I was going for was that you can't ask specific questions about trees not on the list, ID or not ID.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by PacificGoldenPlover »

Does it actually say that in the rules? I've looked over them several times, but I have never noticed that clause.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)
FueL
State: NY

Post by FueL »

PacificGoldenPlover wrote:Does it actually say that in the rules? I've looked over them several times, but I have never noticed that clause.
I feel like you can infer it from the second line of 3b and the second line of 3c. And in NYS, at least for the past 3 years, that's how the tests have always been structured.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
pihi
State: MI

Post by pihi »

In the national tree list, the first I think 30+ trees are pines and they all look pretty similar...Anyone have any tips on finding the differences?
2012: Astronomy, Forestry
CLIO: Astronomy - 4th, Forestry - 16
Regionals: Astronomy - 3rd, Forestry - 4th Team - 2nd
States: Astronomy - 3rd, Forestry...............18th :( Team - 13th (Best new school)

Only 365 more days til states!
flyingwatermelon

Post by flyingwatermelon »

pihi wrote:In the national tree list, the first I think 30+ trees are pines and they all look pretty similar...Anyone have any tips on finding the differences?
a) Number of needles in a bundle
b) Length of needles
c) Last, and probably most significantly, the structure of their cones/scale margins

If you do not have cones, it's quite difficult to differentiate. But the first step narrows it down to about 5 or 6, the second to about 2 or 3 and the last pinpoints the tree you want.
Last edited by flyingwatermelon on March 11th, 2012, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
135scioly
State: MO

Post by 135scioly »

flyingwatermelon wrote:
pihi wrote:In the national tree list, the first I think 30+ trees are pines and they all look pretty similar...Anyone have any tips on finding the differences?
a) Number of needles in a bundle
b) Length of needles
c) Last, and probably most significantly, the structure of their cones/scale margins

If you do not have cones, it's quite difficult to differentiate. But the first step narrows it down to about 5 or 6, the second to about 2 or 3 and last the last pinpoints the tree you want.
Also, if they give you real samples, how stiff the needles are (this might be what flying watermelon means for c?).
2014 Events: Entomology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives
flyingwatermelon

Post by flyingwatermelon »

No I meant the cones. Sometimes the event supervisors are too lazy to get actual samples for the competitors and rely on slides/images (which unfortunately is completely legal according to the rules)...so one cannot really count on that.
geminicross
State: GA

Post by geminicross »

135scioly
State: MO

Post by 135scioly »

flyingwatermelon wrote:No I meant the cones. Sometimes the event supervisors are too lazy to get actual samples for the competitors and rely on slides/images (which unfortunately is completely legal according to the rules)...so one cannot really count on that.
Oh, ok, and most of the time you're right, they are too lazy to get real samples! :)
2014 Events: Entomology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives
pihi
State: MI

Post by pihi »

I know this may sound kind of stupid but, this is my first year doing Science Olympiad and I have no idea how to start memorizing the trees. I tried flashcards but ended up just memorizing the overall look of the card, not the actual leaf. I'm kind of stumped. :(
2012: Astronomy, Forestry
CLIO: Astronomy - 4th, Forestry - 16
Regionals: Astronomy - 3rd, Forestry - 4th Team - 2nd
States: Astronomy - 3rd, Forestry...............18th :( Team - 13th (Best new school)

Only 365 more days til states!

Return to “2012 Study Events”