greywolfst1
Division: Grad
State: NE
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by greywolfst1 »

OldSpice wrote:
Xann101 wrote:Most of the info I find is very vague and what I do find are small tid bit's of info. Can anyone refer any website besides NASA or Wikipedia?
Try looking for remote sensing textbooks on amazon or at a local used book store.
They're pretty expensive on amazon but you might find a good deal elsewhere. I personally happen to have a really nice used book store about 10 minutes from my school.
The go to book on remote sensing by most experts is 'Remote Sensing of the Environment' by Jensen. Even the old editions are good (just not up to date). I also suggest looking to see if your local library has a inter-library loan service. You could get to borrow books for free. Most university campuses participate in inter-library loan, so even if your local library doesn't participate, you might be able to get access to your nearby public university library cheaply or even free just for being a state resident (most states require that the state university system provide the public access to their libraries).
cngu23
Division: C
State: MD

Post by cngu23 »

greywolfst1 wrote:
hexagonaria wrote:exactly what kind of things do they ask about the images? I've heard about finding the area of features, but that can't be everything.
I suggest looking at the posted tests in the Remote Sensing Test Exchange. Not all exams will be written like these, but it is a good start for the kind questions you may encounter.
be sure to know the different types of images and what the colors stand for.
Marriotts Ridge 11-
Walter Johnson 09-11

13 MD Regional/State
Material S (2/-) TPS (-/2)
12 MD Regional/State
Remote S(2/6) Water Q(2/4) Optics (-/5)
11 MD Regional
Remote S(2) Eco(2) D Planet(3)
kalithepianist
State: AZ

Post by kalithepianist »

QPkid wrote:
Xann101 wrote:Hey i was wondering if there are any websites that might help me study being that i was kinda thrown in this event.
I found this website, http://www.ebsinstitute.com/rs.ebs.html, that is also a pretty good introduction to remote sensing. It may be a bit elementary, but I thought the activities helped me understand satellite images better, especially since this is my first year in Remote Sensing too.
...Is it just me, or are a lot of the links on that website broken? ><
derp
cngu23
State: MD

Post by cngu23 »

kalithepianist wrote:
QPkid wrote:
Xann101 wrote:Hey i was wondering if there are any websites that might help me study being that i was kinda thrown in this event.
I found this website, http://www.ebsinstitute.com/rs.ebs.html, that is also a pretty good introduction to remote sensing. It may be a bit elementary, but I thought the activities helped me understand satellite images better, especially since this is my first year in Remote Sensing too.
...Is it just me, or are a lot of the links on that website broken? ><
All the links are working for me.
Marriotts Ridge 11-
Walter Johnson 09-11

13 MD Regional/State
Material S (2/-) TPS (-/2)
12 MD Regional/State
Remote S(2/6) Water Q(2/4) Optics (-/5)
11 MD Regional
Remote S(2) Eco(2) D Planet(3)
pjgscioisamazing
State: NY

Post by pjgscioisamazing »

I came across this question and I was wondering how you solve it. Thanks!

"If the satellite in the previous question is in a polar, sun-synchronous orbit at an altitude of 705 km, how many minutes and/or seconds of its orbital ground track would be covered by a square image area covering 180 km x 180 km?"

The previous question said that the satellite's swatch width is 180 km and that the spatial resolution was 30 m
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
hexagonaria
State: OH

Post by hexagonaria »

pjgscioisamazing wrote:I came across this question and I was wondering how you solve it. Thanks!

"If the satellite in the previous question is in a polar, sun-synchronous orbit at an altitude of 705 km, how many minutes and/or seconds of its orbital ground track would be covered by a square image area covering 180 km x 180 km?"

The previous question said that the satellite's swatch width is 180 km and that the spatial resolution was 30 m
wouldn't you need to know the dwell time to solve that?

180000m/30m=6000
6000*(dwell time)=time needed to cover 180k area.

That's my take on it, there's probably another way to do it though..
DFTBA
Kevinluvzdimsum
Division: B
State: CA

Post by Kevinluvzdimsum »

Just wondering if Remote Sensing and Image Interpretation by T.M. Lillesand and R.W. Kiefer would be a good book to invest money in. Also, are there any other books on remote sensing that would be a must have for this event?
haverstall
State: MN

Post by haverstall »

hexagonaria wrote:
pjgscioisamazing wrote:I came across this question and I was wondering how you solve it. Thanks!

wouldn't you need to know the dwell time to solve that?

180000m/30m=6000
6000*(dwell time)=time needed to cover 180k area.

That's my take on it, there's probably another way to do it though..
Here's a clue: sun-synchronous orbit periods are 100 minutes. That should give you a big hint.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni
greywolfst1
State: NE

Post by greywolfst1 »

2012 Nebraska Remote Sensing Regional Exam is now posted for your enjoyment :-)
haverstall
State: MN

Post by haverstall »

So, does anyone have good tips for measuring areas? I've usually done it using triangles, trapezoids, and squares/rectangles, but after States, I'm thinking about switching to using grids, mainly because my old methods are apparently not accurate enough. Does anyone have experience with using grids? How time-effective is it?

Also, are their other efficient ways of doing it?
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni

Return to “2012 Study Events”