Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Post by Kokonilly » October 13th, 2011, 7:15 pm

silverheart7 wrote:*Sigh* I wish we got this many materials to bring to my other competitions. I would give anything to be able to bring a binder to each of my events. :x :x :x Except maybe my fingernails. :lol: Anyway is it just me, or does this event seem the easiest????? Well, you get the most stuff you can bring and other things like that. Or are my events just hard? I am not very experienced. My question is are there any specific guides you like? I'm not really sure what to look for.
Oh no. Oh, no no no no. Binders doth not an easy event make. You cannot consult a binder for ID all the time. You need to know all ninety-something specimens inside and out, and you have to be able to identify them instantly. No hesitation. You need to know most of the things in your binder, and access it only if you need it. 50 minutes is not a very long time for what could be a 200-point test (true story), and resources could be cumbersome if you need to search through them to find the answer. You have to know your stuff.
tornado guy wrote:
TheBookworm wrote:I agree with fishman100...a binder is a lot of hard work. Last year for Fossils I wrote out all of the info for each fossil then typed it, and as the year went by, I simply added more info to the previous one. Then you have to do the same with all the background info. It's a lot of hard work, but it's worth it in the end. :? :?
IMO binders are more efficient then a field guide due to the fact that in a binder you can tab (I suppose you could do that with a field guide too though) the certain sections where you have certain rocks or minerals. Also in a binder you get all the info you need on one page rather then skimming through a book to find what you want.
I think the attraction of a binder over a field guide is that you made it - you know how it's organized, where to find things, and you learn your information better when you write it all yourself.

silverheart7
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 » October 14th, 2011, 6:11 pm

Ohhhhhh. I guess so. Knowing me I would have flunked a competition without knowing this. Thanks guys!!!! :D
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer

iYOA
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by iYOA » October 17th, 2011, 1:53 pm

does anyone know of anymore practice tests?
Im thinking of making a ppt but idk if i will have time.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice » October 17th, 2011, 3:31 pm

TheBookworm wrote:Exactly. And you guys, as for the cleavage thingy...I still don't get it. It's really confusing for some reason...how can you tell the difference between the crystal structure and the cleavage?? They kinda look the same with me...especially with the cubic cleavage and the cubic crystal structure. I hope I'm making sense... :? :? :?

*EDIT* I would have put pictures to better explain myself, but I couldn't figure out how...
It can be a bit confusing, but the important thing is that the crystal structure is how it forms, and the cleavage is how it breaks. So for example, calcite is classified as trigonal, but you generally find it in rhombs (rhombus-shaped crystals). Why? Because you're looking at a crystal that's been broken, and calcite cleaves in a rhombohedral fashion. Minerals don't always break along the planes they form in.

I hope that makes sense.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

TheBookworm
State: FL

Post by TheBookworm » October 17th, 2011, 7:20 pm

Yes, that makes a lot of sense, thank you... :D :D :D :D :D

And thanks to fishman, I now know how to post pictures!!
Last edited by robotman on October 26th, 2011, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: :\
The ladder of success is never crowded at the top. And I'm at the bottom

TheBookworm
State: FL

Post by TheBookworm » October 17th, 2011, 7:21 pm

:? That was a bit bigger than I expected it to be...sorry... :? :? :? :? :|
The ladder of success is never crowded at the top. And I'm at the bottom

tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 » October 23rd, 2011, 2:46 pm

Hm, the Field museum in downtown chicago seems to be a nice little starting place for rocks and minerals :lol:
peter, peter, peter

saguaro145

Post by saguaro145 » October 30th, 2011, 8:10 am

hey guys...Im kinda confused on how to study for this event because it seems as though everything we would need to know would either be in our field guide or our event binder...please help me out since my school tryouts are really soon

XXGeneration

Post by XXGeneration » October 30th, 2011, 8:14 am

It is all in your field guide or binder but the thing is you have extremely little time to identify the samples. That is something you'll have to study.

saguaro145

Post by saguaro145 » October 30th, 2011, 8:25 am

ok...thanks...just wondering how would you identify a rock based on cleavage just from looking at it

Return to “2012 Study Events”