Rocks and Minerals B/C

tornado guy
Division: C
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Post by tornado guy » December 25th, 2011, 9:31 pm

Does anyone have a good rocks and minerals site other then wikipedia?
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

hexagonaria
State: OH

Post by hexagonaria » December 26th, 2011, 10:07 am

tornado guy wrote:Does anyone have a good rocks and minerals site other then wikipedia?
I get a lot of good info and images from www.geology.com
DFTBA

PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: Somewhere where you don't normally see Pacific Golden Plovers

Post by PacificGoldenPlover » December 26th, 2011, 1:45 pm

tornado guy wrote:Does anyone have a good rocks and minerals site other then wikipedia?
Minerals.net is good for minerals, I don't know any good websites for rocks.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)

tornado guy
State: WA

Post by tornado guy » December 26th, 2011, 1:52 pm

Thanks guys, that will help me out a lot! :)
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

silvertongue

Post by silvertongue » December 26th, 2011, 11:33 pm

hexagonaria wrote:Crystalline Limestone: what's the deal with this rock? how is it different from other limestones? Most of the images i've found look like regular limestone.
From what I've seen I thought that crystalline limestone was made up of calcite crystals that had been lithified as opposed to being mainly fragments of marine organisms or an evaporite.

soobsession

Post by soobsession » January 5th, 2012, 11:49 am

So Regionals approaches and I still haven't decided on a pretty important thing: field guide.

Normally, I would borrow all the books related to the subject (R&M, Fossils, Birds, etc.) from the library, figure out what I like, and then buy it. However, my library seems to be short on good R&M field guides I can sample.

I was looking on Amazon and took a look at the Smithsonian, Peterson, Audubon, and Simon & Schuster guides. I've worked with the Audubon and Peterson guides before for different events, so I have a general idea of their format (i.e. Audubon has pictures and information separated), but I have no idea about the other two and Amazon doesn't help that much.

If anyone could give me a general description of the aforementioned guides, how they're organized, what information they provide, how much writing space, how many images/what kinds, illustrations vs. photos, etc. I'd be extremely thankful. I have a general opinion of what a "good" guide is to me, so all I really need is a description if any of you can provide one.

Thanks in advance

EDIT1: Just an afterthought, dunno if it's Copyright infringment in which case don't do it, but just an image of a random specimen's page is good too.

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 » January 5th, 2012, 1:24 pm

Oh, I was thinking of an updated copy of Simon and Schusters, since we've got an older version. The thing I don't really like about it is that it doesn't have a range map...(do R&M field guides even have range maps?)
peter, peter, peter

soobsession

Post by soobsession » January 5th, 2012, 3:09 pm

I'm not entirely sure myself. I do have a random guide (that's about 50 pages and was published in the 1950s... still talks about the "Dawn of the space age" in present tense) that has a US map with dots all over it for different specimen. I assume the dots are quarries or localities or where they are commonly found, so the answer may be yes.

What kind of info and pictures/organization does Simon & Schusters have?

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 » January 5th, 2012, 3:13 pm

Pictures, about one or two per rock or mineral. The information is nice, because it gives you the basics, types of formations, and theres tons of info about rocks and minerals in general, as well as each individual type of rock, with good explanations. the copy we have is old and slightly worn, with pages falling out, so a new copy is something we're going to get.
peter, peter, peter

quizbowl
State: NY

Post by quizbowl » January 5th, 2012, 6:22 pm

Before I answer, please note my aforementioned response - USE A BINDER! Not only can you organize it to your own discretion, you can learn the facts and pseudo-memorize them as you create your sheets. (Plus it's great for general geology/petrology/mineralogy notes) But that's just me.

If you're into field guides, however...

Simon and Schuster: Definitely the best one of them all. Okay pictures, a lot of information, and has great notes in the start of each section. I think it's quite concise and efficient - very reliable. Not the easiest read, but definitely numero uno. Hands down.
Peterson: Ehh, a not-so-close second, but a clear silver medalist here. Not as informative as S&S, but does have nice pictures and good ID tips. I like the layout. Good backup.
Audubon: Personally, I think this guide shouldn't be used - first of all, I hate it when the notes are just crammed together tightly on pages. The pictures are iffy, and the information was a bit outdated even in the most recent version. Find something else.
Smithsonian: This one is great for learning how to ID the rocks, but once you get past that, its use and value drops considerably. Not a terrible start, though.
The Complete Guide to Rocks and Minerals: A bit similar to that of Smithsonian, but at least goes a bit in depth. Seems quite large to carry around while running to stations - might as well just use a binder.

So, in short, if you're just starting off, try Peterson or Smithsonian. Once you've mastered some of the general basics, try your hand at Simon and Schuster. But why use them when you can have a lovely binder?
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

Return to “2012 Study Events”