SciBomb97
Division: C
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Post by SciBomb97 »

quizbowl wrote:
tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:I'm pretty sure I've heard it for both... But to be on the safe side, I'd go with gneiss's info...
Actually, everyone so far is wrong! Jasper is a form of Chalcedony.
You got that from Wikipedia, didn't you? Different Wikipedia pages seem to be conflicting on this... THIS page says that jasper is a variety of chert under the "Varieties of Chert" heading while THIS page says that it's a variety of chalcedony while THIS page says that jasper, chalcedony, and chert are all just different forms of microcrystalline quartz under the "Varieties (according to microstructure)" subheading.
In fact, chert, chalcedony, and jasper are all just different forms of quartz. Of that I am sure.
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
quizbowl
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by quizbowl »

SciBomb97 wrote:
quizbowl wrote:
tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:I'm pretty sure I've heard it for both... But to be on the safe side, I'd go with gneiss's info...
Actually, everyone so far is wrong! Jasper is a form of Chalcedony.
You got that from Wikipedia, didn't you? Different Wikipedia pages seem to be conflicting on this... THIS page says that jasper is a variety of chert under the "Varieties of Chert" heading while THIS page says that it's a variety of chalcedony while THIS page says that jasper, chalcedony, and chert are all just different forms of microcrystalline quartz under the "Varieties (according to microstructure)" subheading.
In fact, chert, chalcedony, and jasper are all just different forms of quartz. Of that I am sure.
Not really. Chalcedony is really an amalgamation of both quartz and mogamite. While both are SiO2, mogamite is really a polymorph of quartz. Yes, it is a silica mineral, but I personally don't consider it a variety of quartz. However, the list trumps all interpretation, so while we might argue for days on end over the true chemical nature of these minerals, the list is all that counts.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
crazyfloboe
State: TX

Post by crazyfloboe »

Werll, accordiong to the offical list for Nats 2012. Its Quartz, and im trusting that list and that list only.
In the end, as we fade into the night~
O.O -.- Its too early
SANDSHREW!
^^^ Favorite pokemon <3
LoopQuantumGravity
Division: B
State: ID

Post by LoopQuantumGravity »

Source:http://webmineral.com/data/Quartz.shtml
According to this, jasper is red or brown chalcedony.
Chalcedony is microcrystalline quartz. Also, other sources have said that it also contains moganite (a monoclinic silica mineral)
Chert is similar, only it is cryptocrystalline (smaller crystals).
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice »

LoopQuantumGravity wrote:Source:http://webmineral.com/data/Quartz.shtml
According to this, jasper is red or brown chalcedony.
Chalcedony is microcrystalline quartz. Also, other sources have said that it also contains moganite (a monoclinic silica mineral)
Chert is similar, only it is cryptocrystalline (smaller crystals).
Chalcedony is microcrystalline and chert/flint is cryptocrystalline. What that means that is that chalcedony has tiny crystals, while chert has crystals so small that you can't see them at all, making it look more like there aren't any.

I always learned that jasper was red or brown chert, not chalcedony, but I suppose there's still some grey area there. Easier just to say that jasper is red micro- or cryptocrystalline quartz and call it a day.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
10manwire

Post by 10manwire »

Hello! I was wondering if any of you knew what Barite (Baryte) typically looks like. I've seen many pictures of it, and none of them seem characteristic or all that similar. Thank you!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." ~ Henry David Thoreau

"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~ Mother Teresa
Allinea
State: MN

Post by Allinea »

10manwire wrote:Hello! I was wondering if any of you knew what Barite (Baryte) typically looks like. I've seen many pictures of it, and none of them seem characteristic or all that similar. Thank you!
I've never had a barite sample on a test, but from pictures I'd say either a dirtied yellow-green, sometimes orange (not like sulfur, which is more lemon or bright yellow), or translucent or white with a shape kinda like calcite, but a bit flatter? I'd say the main characteristic to look for is the shape (looks kinda like calcite, to me at least), and if the color matches. You'll be able to tell the difference between clear barite and calcite because calcite has double refraction, barite doesn't. Does that help at all?
2013-2014 Season: [Boyceville/Conference/River Falls/Regions/State]
WIDI[2/-/6/2/x]
Rocks[5/1/3/-/x]
Glider[13/8/x/-/x]
Rollercoaster[3/-/12/2/x]
Sustainability[12/-/7/-/-]
Exp. Design[-/3/-/-/-]
10manwire

Post by 10manwire »

Allinea wrote: I've never had a barite sample on a test, but from pictures I'd say either a dirtied yellow-green, sometimes orange (not like sulfur, which is more lemon or bright yellow), or translucent or white with a shape kinda like calcite, but a bit flatter? I'd say the main characteristic to look for is the shape (looks kinda like calcite, to me at least), and if the color matches. You'll be able to tell the difference between clear barite and calcite because calcite has double refraction, barite doesn't. Does that help at all?
Yeah, that kind of does. Thank you!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." ~ Henry David Thoreau

"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~ Mother Teresa
pjgscioisamazing

Post by pjgscioisamazing »

10manwire wrote:
Allinea wrote: I've never had a barite sample on a test, but from pictures I'd say either a dirtied yellow-green, sometimes orange (not like sulfur, which is more lemon or bright yellow), or translucent or white with a shape kinda like calcite, but a bit flatter? I'd say the main characteristic to look for is the shape (looks kinda like calcite, to me at least), and if the color matches. You'll be able to tell the difference between clear barite and calcite because calcite has double refraction, barite doesn't. Does that help at all?
Yeah, that kind of does. Thank you!
Also, a big hint is the specific gravity. If you have a non metallic mineral that isn't a blue crystal, and it feels quite heavy, chances are it's barite.
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
quizbowl

Post by quizbowl »

So from what I heard, nationals (for C, at least) was a debacle. First of all, UPS lost all of the mineral samples, so they resorted to using "descriptions" for those stations. And speaking of stations, there were only six - each was eight minutes long with about twenty questions, and a lot were true/false. Look, I might be no national coordinator, but it's quite obvious that ID events were created to be quick-paced with short, crammed stations. I understand the issue with the minerals, but the entire setup sounds disappointing. Not what I'd expect from a Nationals competition. I hope that in the next few years the Rocks and Minerals event can be run much more smoothly.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

Return to “2012 Study Events”