Rocks and Minerals B/C

havendude
Division: B
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Post by havendude »

The Division B test was crazy. The event supervisor was letting people talk to other teams by the end of it, and was literally talking to one of the teams at the beginning. The test itself was almost the same difficulty as our regional test, and much easier than our state test.

The tiebreaker was impossible, though. It was basically "how much gold has been produced in the world in history," and "given that a troy ounce of gold is $1600, what is the current value of all that gold." I just checked wikipedia, and the question was taken from one paragraph in that.
At the end of 2009, it was estimated that all the gold ever mined totaled 165,000 tonnes.[2] This can be represented by a cube with an edge length of about 20.28 meters. At $1,600 per ounce, 165,000 tons of gold would have a value of $8.8 trillion.
-Wikipedia
---Regionals---States---Nats

Rocks and Minerals---2nd---15th---11th
Disease Detectives---1st---3rd---27th
Optics---1st---NA---NA
Crime Busters---2nd---NA---NA
Compute This---NA---32---15th
tornado guy
Division: C
State: WA

Post by tornado guy »

havendude wrote: The tiebreaker was impossible, though. It was basically "how much gold has been produced in the world in history," and "given that a troy ounce of gold is $1600, what is the current value of all that gold." I just checked wikipedia, and the question was taken from one paragraph in that.
Yeah, IKR?!? We didn't do the tiebreakers until later, but when I saw the $ symbol on the answer page I was thinking oh shoot, this won't be good. :P The rest of the test was really easy.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
LoopQuantumGravity
Division: B
State: ID

Post by LoopQuantumGravity »

We thought it was incredibly easy, and so did many of the people we talked to. We got 18th, which was a little worse than we expected, given that we'd known almost every answer. It seems like there were so many people who'd done well, that it went to whoever got the closest on the tiebreaker.
iYOA
State: NJ

Post by iYOA »

lol just wondering, would "enough to fit into three olympic-sized swimming pools" be accepted?

also, how often have you seen r&m tests where 90% of the questions have been taken from wikipedia?
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South
Paleofreakazoid
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by Paleofreakazoid »

I believe that the tiebreaker said that the answer had to be to the nearest metric ton, so being closest wouldn't have done much...besides, we got first and we were a couple billion off the first and six trillion off the second :lol:
Winston Churchill Middle School, class of 2011
Mira Loma High School, class of 2015
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

havendude wrote:The Division B test was crazy. The event supervisor was letting people talk to other teams by the end of it, and was literally talking to one of the teams at the beginning. The test itself was almost the same difficulty as our regional test, and much easier than our state test.

The tiebreaker was impossible, though. It was basically "how much gold has been produced in the world in history," and "given that a troy ounce of gold is $1600, what is the current value of all that gold." I just checked wikipedia, and the question was taken from one paragraph in that.
At the end of 2009, it was estimated that all the gold ever mined totaled 165,000 tonnes.[2] This can be represented by a cube with an edge length of about 20.28 meters. At $1,600 per ounce, 165,000 tons of gold would have a value of $8.8 trillion.
-Wikipedia
I didn't realize that Rocks and Minerals had suddenly turned into Fermi Questions.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
10manwire

Post by 10manwire »

Seriously, that value doesn't really have a place in a Nationals Rocks and Minerals test. My partner and I thought that the test was way too easy, but can't complain :D
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." ~ Henry David Thoreau

"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~ Mother Teresa
Paleofreakazoid
State: CA

Post by Paleofreakazoid »

Honestly, my partner and I thought the room was too small. A bigger room would have meant more stations would have been possible, so more questions and less time for each station. The questions themselves weren't so bad, I guess, but there just weren't enough of them...
Winston Churchill Middle School, class of 2011
Mira Loma High School, class of 2015
10manwire

Post by 10manwire »

^ We loved the test. :D
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." ~ Henry David Thoreau

"We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do." ~ Mother Teresa
ThePrudentGuava
State: OK

Post by ThePrudentGuava »

I am going to start composing my binder and researching in a few weeks. I cant wait for SO. :D
Perfection. That’s what it’s about. It’s those moments. When you can feel the perfection of creation. The beauty of physics, you know, the wonder of mathematics. The elation of action and reaction, and that is the kind of perfection that I want to be connected to.
~Sam Anders

Return to “2012 Study Events”