Rocks and Minerals B/C

Paleofreakazoid
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Post by Paleofreakazoid »

ThePrudentGuava wrote:I am going to start composing my binder and researching in a few weeks. I cant wait for SO. :D
I'd love to! But...summer school...Personal Project...and, I don't even know if I will be on the team next year...and even if I am, no guarantee that I will get Rocks and Minerals...GAHHHHHH. Still going to study though :D
Winston Churchill Middle School, class of 2011
Mira Loma High School, class of 2015
Klem_Poz490
Division: C
State: OH

Post by Klem_Poz490 »

Hey I need to get a new field guide and i was wondering what you guys would recommend. The old one fell apart :(
@;---
quizbowl
State: NY

Post by quizbowl »

Klem_Poz490 wrote:Hey I need to get a new field guide and i was wondering what you guys would recommend. The old one fell apart :(
Check out the Rocks and Minerals Wiki page - it has info on the most widely used guides.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
eox

Post by eox »

how would you guys suggest studying for the rock and mineral ID portion of the test?
tuftedtitmouse12

Post by tuftedtitmouse12 »

Google images.

But what I like to do is try to find a distinguishing characteristic for each mineral or rock, but that's not always easy. I would be really helpful if you could get your hands on some real specimens :)
peter, peter, peter
havendude
Division: B
State: PA

Post by havendude »

eox wrote:how would you guys suggest studying for the rock and mineral ID portion of the test?
Tuftedtitmouse12 is right, it will be really helpful if you get your own box(es) of specimens. I would also suggest going to the Scioly rocks ID discussion and going through that several times.
The most important thing (I think) is to use pneumonic devices on the rocks. When I just started learning them, I took a rock, found something unique about it, and then made a stupid name of it. The stupider the better, because you can remember it better. For instances, with Aragonite, I found that in most samples it was very milky white. Therefore:
Aragonite==>sounds like==>Aragorn
Aragorn==>was in LOTR and got the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Men_of_Dunharrow on his side
Dead Men of Dunharrow==>have the same skin coloration as==>Aragonite

Stupid, I know. But I can always recognize Aragonite because of that order.

I made sequences like that with almost every rock and mineral on the list (except for the really obvious ones), in a relatively short time.
---Regionals---States---Nats

Rocks and Minerals---2nd---15th---11th
Disease Detectives---1st---3rd---27th
Optics---1st---NA---NA
Crime Busters---2nd---NA---NA
Compute This---NA---32---15th
eox

Post by eox »

tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:Google images.

But what I like to do is try to find a distinguishing characteristic for each mineral or rock, but that's not always easy. I would be really helpful if you could get your hands on some real specimens :)
if i were to get real specimens, what should i do with them besides get familiar with their heft / certain features?
tuftedtitmouse12

eox wrote:
tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:Google images.

if i were to get real specimens, what should i do with them besides get familiar with their heft / certain features?
You can see their features up close. You see, pictures can only show you so much. Then can only go into their macro setting so much and you can only see some details. Once you know how a true specimen feels and looks up close, it will be much easier to point them out in a picture. Besides, when you look at a picture, you only see one side of the specimen. With a 3D object, you can turn it over and thoroughly examine it. Especially for minerals, crystal structure and all those traits are easiest learned not from reading, but from actually seeing it and feeling it.

Basically, specimens are the real thing. If you can get specimens, it's no big deal to get pictures (Google images) and you'll be more prepared for competition, where you may get either specimens, pictures, or both.

Edit: Just out of curiosity, but have you done this event before?
peter, peter, peter
eox

Post by eox »

havendude wrote:
eox wrote:how would you guys suggest studying for the rock and mineral ID portion of the test?
I would also suggest going to the Scioly rocks ID discussion and going through that several times.
Is it a seperate subform? Thanks for the mnemonic device idea, too! its really helpful!
EDIT: Do you mean Rocks and Minerals Question Marathon? (http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=3036)
tuftedtitmouse12 wrote: You can see their features up close. You see, pictures can only show you so much. Then can only go into their macro setting so much and you can only see some details. Once you know how a true specimen feels and looks up close, it will be much easier to point them out in a picture. Besides, when you look at a picture, you only see one side of the specimen. With a 3D object, you can turn it over and thoroughly examine it. Especially for minerals, crystal structure and all those traits are easiest learned not from reading, but from actually seeing it and feeling it.
Edit: Just out of curiosity, but have you done this event before?
No i haven't, its my first year :oops:
What about the variations on color / habit of a rock though? Would you have to get multiple samples for each variant, or is just one sufficient.
What traits do you guys normally use for ID?
tuftedtitmouse12

Oh yes, the marathon. If I were you, read through them, and see if you can try doing some yourself!

Color is really not your best bet, especially for minerals. There, I like to use crystal structure and the texture, luster, stuff like that. That's really why having actual specimens in your hands help. Then you get the whole feel of the mineral. For rocks, the color is a bit more reliable. For instance, gabbro looks like speckles of green and black while diorite is salt and pepper. Then there's granite, which is usually white, clear, and black, those three being the base colors. The white being feldspar, clear quartz, and black mica.

Basically, examine the specimens, try to connect the name to the mineral or rock, NEVER the shape or size of your specimen, and once you've spent enough time, you'll start to see the differences. It helps if you can hold two specimens that look alike and compare them to each other.

The specimens are to get the general idea. There's always pictures on google if you needed to find the color variants and such. I hope this helps!
peter, peter, peter

Return to “2012 Study Events”