Water Quality B/C

mintyfrash
Division: C
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by mintyfrash »

Personally I loved having the actual specimens at nationals, even though we had the last time slot and many of them were disfigured by then. What I didn't like was having those cloudy plastic pill thingies that obscured the macros and made it really hard to even see them, much less identify them. For the salinometer testing, the saltwater at regionals was in a huge tank and everyone was given their own sample, which is the method I liked the best because I feel like sharing the water just introduces a lot of impurities into it from previous teams (e.g. the salt from their clay dissolving into it) which makes it difficult to be accurate.
fozendog
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by fozendog »

Oh yea those pill things were bad! When we went to ours the girl before us didn't put two back in their labeled container (1, 2, 3, etc.) so we had to guess which one was which.
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality
fanjiatian

Post by fanjiatian »

Next year's Water Quality event involves Freshwater estuaries.
What do you suppose that means? Lakes?
silentsage
State: PA

Post by silentsage »

fanjiatian wrote:Next year's Water Quality event involves Freshwater estuaries.
What do you suppose that means? Lakes?
An Estuary is any point at which a body of freshwater (usually a stream) meets saltwater (usually an ocean) at a coastal location. Naming it "Freshwater Estuaries" is a little redundant, but this actually had a small importance in the event last year, as the topic may have popped up once or twice in the tests I took. This may have some to do with lakes (that was mostly just DP last year), but I expect that this will have to do with ecology (yay!), different estuaries, specific species, and the effects of humans on estuarine environments.
Road Scholar seems to depress everyone on my team who does it, but it's my favorite event...
I <3 DQIX and Squirtle
2013 RS National Champ
Fossil Freak 25

Post by Fossil Freak 25 »

So will we have to study things like juvenile salmon and what role estuaries play in the travel of anadromous fish, or more just the basics?
Go Cougs!
tornado guy

Post by tornado guy »

Fossil Freak 25 wrote:So will we have to study things like juvenile salmon and what role estuaries play in the travel of anadromous fish, or more just the basics?
More then likely, yes. And I'm guessing we will need to know general ecology terms.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
cupcakegirl
State: TX

Post by cupcakegirl »

So will it be more ecology based this year? Or the same 3 part thing as last year?
2013 Nationals Results: Water Quality-2nd, Food Science-6th, Crime Busters-13th, Team- 7th
2014 National Results: Water Quality- 7th, Can't Judge A Powder- 6th, Crime Busters- 4th, Heredity- 5th, Team- FIRST!!!
2015 Events: Forensics, Green Generation, Fossils
CulturallyScientific
State: CA

Post by CulturallyScientific »

tornado guy wrote:
Fossil Freak 25 wrote:So will we have to study things like juvenile salmon and what role estuaries play in the travel of anadromous fish, or more just the basics?
More then likely, yes. And I'm guessing we will need to know general ecology terms.
Well, you still had to know general ecology in 2012.
'16, she/her, environmental-scientist-to-be: green gen, invasives, disease, ex. design, widi.

"…everything flows in an eternal present." (James Joyce)

Return to “2012 Study Events”