Water Quality B/C

sazhassan
Division: B
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by sazhassan »

What the heck wasup with the division b water quality test?? It was so hard!!!! This is my best event I study everything and then it becomes the hardest event ever at States!!! Then we have to use the Salim nometer and got 7th percent!!! I'm freaking out because I got 7th place out of 20 teams!!!! Ahhh!! :cry: :oops: :cry: :oops: :cry: :cry: :o
My 1st season of SO:
Optics - (5th, 4th)
Water Quality - (3rd, 7th)
Compute This - (2nd, 5th)
Reach for the Stars - (1st, 2nd)
Experimental Design - (3rd, 7th)
Anatomy - (2nd, 2nd)
Team: 3rd, 4th

2013 events:
Anatomy, Reach for the Stars, water quality, meteorology, dynamic planet
cngu23
Division: C

Post by cngu23 »

sazhassan wrote:What the heck wasup with the division b water quality test?? It was so hard!!!! This is my best event I study everything and then it becomes the hardest event ever at States!!! Then we have to use the Salim nometer and got 7th percent!!! I'm freaking out because I got 7th place out of 20 teams!!!! Ahhh!! :cry: :oops: :cry: :oops: :cry: :cry: :o
Division C test wasn't that easy either, especially with the multiple choice. The multiple choice seemed way harder than the short answer.
Marriotts Ridge 11-
Walter Johnson 09-11

13 MD Regional/State
Material S (2/-) TPS (-/2)
12 MD Regional/State
Remote S(2/6) Water Q(2/4) Optics (-/5)
11 MD Regional
Remote S(2) Eco(2) D Planet(3)
bookworm2110
State: CT

Post by bookworm2110 »

silentsage wrote: Does anyone think that proctors are scared to make a solution below 3% or above 8%? I've never encountered any higher.
At my competition, we had solutions of 10%, 5%, and 1.5%. They were at least around there, because I don't know if we got them right.
sazhassan

Post by sazhassan »

cngu23 wrote:
sazhassan wrote:What the heck wasup with the division b water quality test?? It was so hard!!!! This is my best event I study everything and then it becomes the hardest event ever at States!!! Then we have to use the Salim nometer and got 7th percent!!! I'm freaking out because I got 7th place out of 20 teams!!!! Ahhh!! :cry: :oops: :cry: :oops: :cry: :cry: :o
Division C test wasn't that easy either, especially with the multiple choice. The multiple choice seemed way harder than the short answer.
My partner said Division C and B were the same except for one question. Wq is my best event, I got 7th. ;(
My 1st season of SO:
Optics - (5th, 4th)
Water Quality - (3rd, 7th)
Compute This - (2nd, 5th)
Reach for the Stars - (1st, 2nd)
Experimental Design - (3rd, 7th)
Anatomy - (2nd, 2nd)
Team: 3rd, 4th

2013 events:
Anatomy, Reach for the Stars, water quality, meteorology, dynamic planet
ptkid
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by ptkid »

What type of questions were there? Can you list some?
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality
jfang1234
State: CA

Post by jfang1234 »

Any in depth bug questions? I hope it focuses more on the other sections, its water quality, not entomology!!!!. lol sorry, i just hate the bug part.
silentsage
State: PA

Post by silentsage »

jfang1234 wrote:Any in depth bug questions? I hope it focuses more on the other sections, its water quality, not entomology!!!!. lol sorry, i just hate the bug part.
I love the bugs, but my Regional WQ had none. I find the bugs to be really easy once studied, and life is the most important indicator of water quality, so sorry, there has to be identification.
Road Scholar seems to depress everyone on my team who does it, but it's my favorite event...
I <3 DQIX and Squirtle
2013 RS National Champ
alethbridge
State: UT

Post by alethbridge »

The problem we have found seems to be with the clay. It can dry out, change shape slightly, not seal correctly, absorb water. What I have found to be more accurate is to use different materials that are impermeable to water. I have had much more accuracy using a pipette or plastic syringe. The bulb part at the bottom I filled completely with sand (if you do not fill it completely, the air pocket will make the salinometer tip to the sides). Then, because my pipette was not long enough to keep the top above water, I plugged it with some clay and cut a straw in half and pushed the straw onto the pipette. I then taped over the edge of where the straw connects to the plastic pipette. I then started with my 0% solution and marked the line, then I mixed a 10% solution and marked the line. Then using my ruler I made a line that was 1/2 way in-between and then just experimented with eyeballing the other 4 lines in between 0 & 5 and 5 & 10 to make them equally spaced. I have tested this salinometer with other % solutions and it seems to be fairly accurate now. Here is a link of what the plastic pipette looks like (ask your science teacher if they have some!) and I used a larger straw that seemed to fit snugly. I cut the tip of the pipette somewhat to be able to pour the sand in. Hope this is helpful.
FlyingMonkey85
State: NY

Post by FlyingMonkey85 »

I am new to Water Quality, and had a question on the salinometer. When they ask for say a 5% salinity, is it 5 grams of salt and 95 grams of water? Or is it 5 grams of salt and 100 grams of water? Also, what salt will they be using? Non-Iodized Table Salt? Thanks in advance...
"It's not denial, I'm just selective about the reality I accept" -Calvin
gigaboo
State: UT

Post by gigaboo »

FlyingMonkey85 wrote:I am new to Water Quality, and had a question on the salinometer. When they ask for say a 5% salinity, is it 5 grams of salt and 95 grams of water? Or is it 5 grams of salt and 100 grams of water? Also, what salt will they be using? Non-Iodized Table Salt? Thanks in advance...
It seems like this was confusing for a lot of people. Earlier in the thread, someone posted the answer to that question and an official rules clarification. Good luck!

Return to “2012 Study Events”