Water Quality B/C

135scioly
Division: C
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by 135scioly »

alethbridge wrote:The problem we have found seems to be with the clay. It can dry out, change shape slightly, not seal correctly, absorb water. What I have found to be more accurate is to use different materials that are impermeable to water. I have had much more accuracy using a pipette or plastic syringe. The bulb part at the bottom I filled completely with sand (if you do not fill it completely, the air pocket will make the salinometer tip to the sides). Then, because my pipette was not long enough to keep the top above water, I plugged it with some clay and cut a straw in half and pushed the straw onto the pipette. I then taped over the edge of where the straw connects to the plastic pipette. I then started with my 0% solution and marked the line, then I mixed a 10% solution and marked the line. Then using my ruler I made a line that was 1/2 way in-between and then just experimented with eyeballing the other 4 lines in between 0 & 5 and 5 & 10 to make them equally spaced. I have tested this salinometer with other % solutions and it seems to be fairly accurate now. Here is a link of what the plastic pipette looks like (ask your science teacher if they have some!) and I used a larger straw that seemed to fit snugly. I cut the tip of the pipette somewhat to be able to pour the sand in. Hope this is helpful.
Thanks so much for this! I made my salinometer the night before using your way and although I didn't place in water quality at state(got thrown into the event last minute... Thats also why i was making my cheat sheet and salinometer the night before) im pretty sure i got the salinity right! :D
2014 Events: Entomology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives
cngu23
State: MD

Post by cngu23 »

hpfananu wrote:We took our state test today and it had mostly Dynamic Planet stuff with Base Levels, flow rate, stream gradients and sediment patterns etc.
Has anyone found this on any other test or was it just this weird test? The events are slightly related but I think it's slightly wild to expect us to know all about Dynamic Planet and general Water Quality...
I don't think the material for dynamic planet (flow rates, stream gradients, etc.) fits under the water quality rules.
Marriotts Ridge 11-
Walter Johnson 09-11

13 MD Regional/State
Material S (2/-) TPS (-/2)
12 MD Regional/State
Remote S(2/6) Water Q(2/4) Optics (-/5)
11 MD Regional
Remote S(2) Eco(2) D Planet(3)
ptkid
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by ptkid »

For nats how much is everyone studying?
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality
hpfananu
State: TX

Post by hpfananu »

Do you guys know if we are allowed to bring a graduated cylinder for our salinometer?
Materials Science|Water Quality|Disease Detectives
Sleep is for the Weak: SLHS SO 2012-2013
TAMS 2013-2014
quizbowl
State: NY

Post by quizbowl »

hpfananu wrote:Do you guys know if we are allowed to bring a graduated cylinder for our salinometer?
At NY states this year, we were permitted to use a graduated cylinder, as long as we were the last ones to go in our time slot.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
honeybunchesofoats
Division: B
State: CA

Post by honeybunchesofoats »

When calculating the cumulative index, class 5 isn't included right?

Also, is the water quality rating always:
-Excellent = 23
-Good = 17-22
-Fair= 11-16
-Poor= 10 or less

Thanks in advance! :)
jcreeps27
State: PA

Post by jcreeps27 »

Any body else from PA notice that the States test was practically identical to the Rustin Invitational Test that was canceled? That doesnt seem fair. I got third so I'm not complaining, but it doesnt seem fair to the schools who didnt get the test because I'm pretty sure it wasn't publicly available (we got ours in an email after the Invitational competition was canceled).
"Science is about the insatiable craving for knowledge"

- Me
havenguy
State: PA

Post by havenguy »

However, jcreeps, some teams that weren't going to the Rustin invitational placed.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
FlyingMonkey85
State: NY

Post by FlyingMonkey85 »

quizbowl wrote:
hpfananu wrote:Do you guys know if we are allowed to bring a graduated cylinder for our salinometer?
At NY states this year, we were permitted to use a graduated cylinder, as long as we were the last ones to go in our time slot.
Odd, at NY States (B) this year, I was told that I was not allowed to bring a graduated cylinder as they provided one.
"It's not denial, I'm just selective about the reality I accept" -Calvin
LoopQuantumGravity
State: ID

Post by LoopQuantumGravity »

Is there any way to find out what container the salt water will be in at nationals? At states, they gave us a 500 mL beaker, and everyone's salinometer was too long.

Return to “2012 Study Events”