Water Quality B/C

lolliexdd
Division: Grad
State: PA

Re: Water Quality B/C

Postby lolliexdd » March 26th, 2012, 4:17 pm

I hope this hasn't been answered yet..

We've been having problems building a salinometer like the one they recommended we make, with a straw and clay. Every day that we test any of our salinometers (we've used 3 types of clay already) in tap water, they all float to a different line than the day before. We've even used deionized water instead of tap water to calibrate it, but we still have the same problem. Do any of you know how to fix this?
Stroudsburg HS Science Olympiad Graduate!
SUNY- College of Environmental Science and Forestry '17

2win
Division: C
State: TX

Postby 2win » March 26th, 2012, 6:24 pm

We've been having problems building a salinometer like the one they recommended we make, with a straw and clay. Every day that we test any of our salinometers (we've used 3 types of clay already) in tap water, they all float to a different line than the day before. We've even used deionized water instead of tap water to calibrate it, but we still have the same problem. Do any of you know how to fix this?
Try distilled instead of deionized water...
k-tx. retiring from scioly.

lolliexdd

Postby lolliexdd » March 26th, 2012, 6:53 pm

Aren't they the same?
Stroudsburg HS Science Olympiad Graduate!
SUNY- College of Environmental Science and Forestry '17

ptkid

Postby ptkid » March 26th, 2012, 7:06 pm

Okay, so when I tried making that one it just doesn't work. The soinc.org people are just wrong. A simple straw and clay model cannot be that accurate and can easily break. You need to think more sophisticated like how you can make it more accurate. Experiment to get a good salinometer.

And they basically are the same (deionized and distilled water).
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality

2win

Postby 2win » March 26th, 2012, 8:14 pm

Aren't they the same?
My understanding is that deionized water may still have some dissolved gases and such in it.... distilled water is pure water with no gasses or other particles/substances.

But yeah, the soinc one is pretty crappy. A team at my regionals made one last minute because they left theirs at home, and so... Yeahh, they didn't really get a good reading...

silentsage

Postby silentsage » March 27th, 2012, 8:47 am

Okay, so when I tried making that one it just doesn't work. The soinc.org people are just wrong. A simple straw and clay model cannot be that accurate and can easily break. You need to think more sophisticated like how you can make it more accurate. Experiment to get a good salinometer.

I agree, the soinc one is innacurate, but you can firm the clay by lightly coating it in superglue. I've tried to find how to build and electronic one (they are legal), but no luck, anyone else?
Road Scholar seems to depress everyone on my team who does it, but it's my favorite event...
I <3 DQIX and Squirtle
2013 RS National Champ

ptkid

Postby ptkid » March 27th, 2012, 1:33 pm

I agree, the soinc one is innacurate, but you can firm the clay by lightly coating it in superglue. I've tried to find how to build and electronic one (they are legal), but no luck, anyone else?
same. I had no luck. I found out what I was doing was totally wrong so I just made the straw one more sophisticated.
Seven Lakes High School '16
Previous National Champion in Green Generation and National Medalist in CJAP, Disease Detectives, Entomology, & Water Quality

rtunnel97
State: NY

Postby rtunnel97 » March 27th, 2012, 7:14 pm

I made one a step up from the simple clay and straw, but still it isn't that accurate, i just know it :(
“If you like nerds, raise your hand. If you don't, raise your standards.”

cngu23
State: MD

Postby cngu23 » March 28th, 2012, 1:54 pm

I made one a step up from the simple clay and straw, but still it isn't that accurate, i just know it :(
Since you get the point for measuring to the nearest percent, should line spacings of around 2.5% be enough for a rough estimate?
Marriotts Ridge 11-
Walter Johnson 09-11

13 MD Regional/State
Material S (2/-) TPS (-/2)
12 MD Regional/State
Remote S(2/6) Water Q(2/4) Optics (-/5)
11 MD Regional
Remote S(2) Eco(2) D Planet(3)

2win

Postby 2win » March 28th, 2012, 3:22 pm

Since you get the point for measuring to the nearest percent, should line spacings of around 2.5% be enough for a rough estimate?
I thought I depended on the proctor, but I think that's good enough, since some people are doing 3% or more. 1% is a butt to mark off...

Return to “2012 Study Events”