3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m
Division: C
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by 3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m » October 13th, 2011, 4:09 am

tornado guy wrote:
JKrafsur wrote:Im being truly honest here, size 4 or 6 font actually is very readable. I used that on my cheat sheets last year and put each section in different color to depict each area, easy to use and you can fit twice the info on the sheet
Use a small font and handwrite in all the upper margins of the paper where the computer doesn't type on.
couldn't you just decrease the margins and still type there?

tornado guy
State: WA

Post by tornado guy » October 13th, 2011, 7:15 am

3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m wrote:
Use a small font and handwrite in all the upper margins of the paper where the computer doesn't type on.
couldn't you just decrease the margins and still type there?[/quote]

I suppose you could.. Sometimes though you can remember more if you handwrite, so you might not even have to use that part of the sheet.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m
State: VA

Post by 3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m » October 15th, 2011, 1:10 pm

I guess that makes sense. You could probably save some time, too, since you might then remember it and not have to find it on the sheet.

Fossil Freak 25

Post by Fossil Freak 25 » October 15th, 2011, 2:46 pm

Does anybody know a good site for macroinvertebrates?
Go Cougs!

tornado guy

Post by tornado guy » October 15th, 2011, 3:17 pm

Fossil Freak 25 wrote:Does anybody know a good site for macroinvertebrates?
Here Fossil http://www.ncsu.edu/sciencejunction/dep ... ons/macro/
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

quizbowl
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by quizbowl » October 15th, 2011, 5:42 pm

How is everyone doing on building their salinometer? On the rules, they specified testing certain salinity percentages of up to 10% - how specific do they want us to measure it? To 1%? To .1%?
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

nerpas
State: MN

Post by nerpas » October 16th, 2011, 12:59 pm

quizbowl wrote:How is everyone doing on building their salinometer? On the rules, they specified testing certain salinity percentages of up to 10% - how specific do they want us to measure it? To 1%? To .1%?
Since it doesn't say in the rules, you might want to get an official clarification

cngu23
State: MD

Post by cngu23 » October 16th, 2011, 4:45 pm

quizbowl wrote:How is everyone doing on building their salinometer? On the rules, they specified testing certain salinity percentages of up to 10% - how specific do they want us to measure it? To 1%? To .1%?
Anyone want to give some advice on making a salinometer? I understand the basic principle that the device should send a current through the water sample, since salt water conducts electricity.
Also, I read somewhere that you can use refractivity to determine salt water concentration, because the angle of refraction between air and water is different in different salinity levels.

EDIT: Also, there might be an easier method to just use a hydrometer, which measures the specific gravity of the water.
Marriotts Ridge 11-
Walter Johnson 09-11

13 MD Regional/State
Material S (2/-) TPS (-/2)
12 MD Regional/State
Remote S(2/6) Water Q(2/4) Optics (-/5)
11 MD Regional
Remote S(2) Eco(2) D Planet(3)

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice » October 17th, 2011, 3:35 pm

cngu23 wrote:
Anyone want to give some advice on making a salinometer? I understand the basic principle that the device should send a current through the water sample, since salt water conducts electricity.
Also, I read somewhere that you can use refractivity to determine salt water concentration, because the angle of refraction between air and water is different in different salinity levels.

EDIT: Also, there might be an easier method to just use a hydrometer, which measures the specific gravity of the water.
It doesn't have to be that complex. The simplest thing to do is to basically make a glass tube with some clay attached to the bottom. Then just test it in distilled water and water with varying amounts of salt, and see how high it floats in different salinity levels, marking off the points for each trial. Use that to calibrate it and then you can use it to test an unknown solution by reading off the marks you put on.

You have to play with the amount of clay you use to make sure that it basically sinks in fresh water and then floats higher and higher as you add salt.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

VeritasEnVida
State: MN

Post by VeritasEnVida » October 18th, 2011, 9:35 pm

Genissnice, can you elaborate a little on that? So clay will float when water is denser than the clay, but that only measure for that one level of salinity shouldn't it or are you saying it floats a little bit more? in increments, that's a awesome idea but one bump and you could be off by a couple percentage points which would suck
also would the clay dry out when not in use and then when it's moist that would affect it also hmmm
Last edited by VeritasEnVida on October 18th, 2011, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Year: Event (state, nats); alternate/team (state, nats)
'11: Microbe (1, 17), Protein (2, 22), Experimental (3, --), Helicopters (11, 15), Mission(--,22), Wind Power (--, 20); team (1, 15)
'12: Microbe Mission (1), Protein Modeling (1), Helicopters (1), Chemistry Lab(10); team (1)

Return to “2012 Study Events”