EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Meteorology B

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Thing is, C adds an event in the Chemistry/Physics fields, so Earth Science has to take a hit somewhere. Unless you take out one of those, Meteo really doesn't fit anywhere.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN
Has thanked: 0

Post by Luo »

Based on http://69.36.47.6/sites/default/files/u ... tory_0.pdf, it looks like Meteorology was a Division C event up through 2004, after which it switched to Division B only.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
ReBobville
Been thanked: 0

Post by ReBobville »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:Thing is, C adds an event in the Chemistry/Physics fields, so Earth Science has to take a hit somewhere. Unless you take out one of those, Meteo really doesn't fit anywhere.
Well then, I guess an earth science event should be removed. I WANT C DIVISION METEOROLOGY TODAY! :D
Strath Haven High School- 2015
Purdue University- 2019
starshine
Division: B
State: NY

Post by starshine »

ReBobville wrote:
EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:Thing is, C adds an event in the Chemistry/Physics fields, so Earth Science has to take a hit somewhere. Unless you take out one of those, Meteo really doesn't fit anywhere.
Well then, I guess an earth science event should be removed. I WANT C DIVISION METEOROLOGY TODAY! :D
I believe Meteorology in Division C would be a great idea. It could potentially focus more on different topics, like clouds or the atmosphere.
2010 (1), 2011 (4), 2012 (7), 2013 (1)
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

ReBobville wrote:
Astro? Remote? Dynamic? Rocks/Fossils? You are NOT taking away Remote and Astro because I said so, and Dynamic and Rocks/Fossils are pretty set too.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

tornado guy
Division: C
State: WA

Post by tornado guy »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:
ReBobville wrote:
Astro? Remote? Dynamic? Rocks/Fossils? You are NOT taking away Remote and Astro because I said so, and Dynamic and Rocks/Fossils are pretty set too.
Actually meteorology and remote could each do a three year cycle with each other. I think meteorology would be a great event for C division, and I have many reasons behind that too.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

Remote is supposed to be replaced with Geologic Mapping for year 13-14. The current Remote topic can be very Meteorology heavy, depending on who writes the test....
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Well, I could deal with Geologic Mapping, since that sounds AWESOME. It seems to me that it would be more difficult to write a standalone Meteorology test of C caliber than it would be to implement it into other events.

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

ReBobville

Post by ReBobville »

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:
ReBobville wrote:
Either Fossils or Rocks could go (They utilize many similar skills)
Strath Haven High School- 2015
Purdue University- 2019
tornado guy
Division: C
State: WA

Post by tornado guy »

Yeah, at least with meteorology you can get a decent money paying job, while with R&M and fossils usually it is just a hobby.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

Return to “2012 Study Events”