Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by mnstrviola » October 10th, 2011, 8:55 pm

I don't think I get this thoroughly. For "climate", we have to study long-term weather conditions, and information on the atmosphere and hydrosphere in general. For "everyday weather", we have to know about day-to-day stuff. Is this right, or no? It seems to me both topics have some overlap too.

mnstrviola
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola » October 10th, 2011, 9:01 pm

mnstrviola wrote:I don't think I get this thoroughly. For "climate", we have to study long-term weather conditions, and information on the atmosphere and hydrosphere in general. For "everyday weather", we have to know about day-to-day stuff. Is this right, or no? It seems to me both topics have some overlap too.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/noaa- ... ather.html
EDIT: Answered my own question :P hate it when that happens.

tornado guy
Division: C
State: WA

Post by tornado guy » October 11th, 2011, 7:34 am

mnstrviola wrote:I don't think I get this thoroughly. For "climate", we have to study long-term weather conditions, and information on the atmosphere and hydrosphere in general. For "everyday weather", we have to know about day-to-day stuff. Is this right, or no? It seems to me both topics have some overlap too.
In everyday weather you are learning about just that certain day and normal phenomena that can happen in weather, ie clouds, illusions, reading weather charts etc..

In climate you learn about the past and how the earth's climate is always changing, names of ice ages and warmer periods etc..
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

FueL
State: NY

Post by FueL » October 12th, 2011, 2:06 pm

Yep, climate is pretty much weather trends and anomalies over longer periods of time. You'll probably have to learn things like climate classification zones, ENSO, and the Earth's past atmospheric conditions on different time scales like 100 years, 2000 years, since the Holocene, etc.

There's definitely going to be some overlap, and imo everyday weather covers the fundamentals you need to do well in severe storms and climate.
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.

silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 » October 12th, 2011, 5:54 pm

I'm really confused by the stuff we have to know for the test. Are there any books or sites that explain these well? Thanks. BTW when I fisrst went to Meterology B it said locked. Then I looked again and I could post. Did i accidently go to an old one at first?
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 » October 12th, 2011, 6:00 pm

The Meteorology Wiki is usually a good place to start. And the thread may have been locked if you were not signed in as a registered user.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

tornado guy
State: WA

Post by tornado guy » October 12th, 2011, 7:49 pm

silverheart7 wrote:I'm really confused by the stuff we have to know for the test.
If your confused, as Z said go to the meteorology wiki.. That is a good start for a beginner. I would also suggest taking tests, that is an efficient way to learn your strengths and weaknesses.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by 49ers » October 13th, 2011, 7:17 am

Honestly the best place to look up information is on the scioly wiki and on wikipedia, and just look up topics listed in the rules.
As said by several others, taking practice tests is a good way to assess what is necessary to work on. Also, check out information your coach may happen to have on the event and old cheat sheets and the like. Try to make easy ways to remember important things.
Last edited by 49ers on October 14th, 2011, 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
ESU Warrior '21
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics; Earth and Space Science major; Math minor.
Get me out of this place *gestures wildly at USA*

silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 » October 13th, 2011, 12:39 pm

Thanks for the info zyzzyva98, tornado guy, and 49ers! I'll definately look at it. And if anyone has any other good sites or books, I'd love to hear about them. And yes, I don't think I was signed in the first time I came to this topic.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer

FueL

Post by FueL » October 13th, 2011, 12:48 pm

In addition to what other people have said, I would highly recommend going to your school/local library and checking out books related to this year's topics. The more general, the better. Wikipedia can be useful, but some of their articles are still too technical and go more in depth than you need to know. The #1 resource for me has been college textbooks, because they tend to explain concepts more clearly than websites do, and they build on information you learned in previous chapters instead of referring to things you've never heard of before.

The great thing about college textbooks is that you can get used older editions on amazon for really cheap, usually a couple of bucks including shipping. To study for severe storms, I used the 2004 edition of Meteorology Today, though that runs a little more expensive (like $25 last time I checked).
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.

Return to “2012 Study Events”