Meteorology B

FueL
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by FueL » October 30th, 2011, 3:56 pm

No, older editions are perfectly fine. There might be some changes or a CD or two might be added, but they won't impact your studying much.

And really, it's fine. :)
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.

silverheart7
Division: Grad

Post by silverheart7 » October 30th, 2011, 4:48 pm

Oh, good! Especially since I just ordered Meteorology : The Atmosphere and Science of Weather and Meteorology Today in older editions. I got the first book for a dollar fifty on Amazon. Can you believe that??? The 2004 edition of Meterology Today, used, was $27.05. I have never used Amazon before this, but now I love it!!! I hope the books don't come messed up, though. :D

And thanks again for all of your help!
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer

FueL

Post by FueL » October 30th, 2011, 4:59 pm

Haha that's great! The 2004 edition of Meteorology Today is exactly what I have, and it came in really good condition too. And if it's defective I'm pretty sure amazon has a return policy up to a certain date.

It's also good that you're starting so early, when I did this event I put the studying off until January or so (not a smart idea).
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.

abator
State: OH

Post by abator » November 6th, 2011, 2:40 pm

Hmm. I got so many notes for meteorology that it covered 17 pages. By shrinking the font and the pictures and also deleating the spaces I got it to fit on 2 pages and have 1 pic. on the next page. Trying to get it to fit. So close.
Placement: Gold: 13 Silver: 4 Bronze: 6 4th: 5 5th: 9 6th: 5 7th: 2 8th: 3
Team Captain 8-)

tornado guy
State: WA

Post by tornado guy » November 8th, 2011, 3:56 pm

Does anyone have good climate outside of scioly? Scioly only has 1 good, true, climate test.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

Saturiea

Post by Saturiea » November 13th, 2011, 7:54 pm

Lots of places have good climate. Most tropical Islands, Florida,Cuba, Hawaii, However since I am assuming you meant to have said climate test I have to say I may have one but I will have to find and scan it.

tornado guy
State: WA

Post by tornado guy » November 13th, 2011, 9:05 pm

Saturiea wrote:Lots of places have good climate. Most tropical Islands, Florida,Cuba, Hawaii, However since I am assuming you meant to have said climate test I have to say I may have one but I will have to find and scan it.
Ya, haha, bad on my part :oops:. If you have one and can copy it, thanks a lot! :)
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

Zten
Division: B
State: IL

Post by Zten » November 15th, 2011, 8:23 am

I scanned over this board and could not find a clear answer to my question. I am wondering about what is covered on the Meteorology test. I got a sheet from the teacher at our school organizing the activity. It has a Black border around the sheet and at the bottom the document is labeled "2012-B15". It says what the competition will cover in outline fashion and goes from a thru k. It really seems to be much more focused on Climate than Weather. Yet in the forum I see a lot of discussion about "everyday weather". So is this sheet I have all inclusive of what the students are supposed to learn or is there more?

Second question. The kids can use one 8.5x11 sheet of paper, both sides. Can it be a computer generated document or does it need to be hand written?

Thanks for the help. I'm new to this.

FueL

Post by FueL » November 15th, 2011, 12:56 pm

The sheet you're talking about is copied directly from the Science Olympiad rules manual so yes, the topics listed there covers everything you need to know.

Each year, this event focuses on a different theme. This year's theme is climate, while everyday weather was the theme from two years ago. Still, everyday weather is the basis for all meteorology so it's good to be familiar with it.

The notesheet may be either computer generated or handwritten. :)

Munchkin13
Division: B
State: IL

Post by Munchkin13 » November 27th, 2011, 3:09 pm

Hi, I am new to this event. I was wondering what are the most important things to know/be familiar with to succeed in this event. :)

Return to “2012 Study Events”