Reach for the Stars B

rishj09
Division: B
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Reach for the Stars B

Post by rishj09 »

Are any states allowing star charts......
In MD regionals we had to put our notes away because we had a star chart on it.
Are any states allowing star charts part of your notes.....

please reply
OMGG.... Chuck Norris Dominates
illusionofconfusion
Division: C
State: AL

Post by illusionofconfusion »

They let us use a star chart at our regionals in AL...
~illusionofconfusion ;)
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

rishj09 wrote:Are any states allowing star charts......
In MD regionals we had to put our notes away because we had a star chart on it.
Are any states allowing star charts part of your notes.....

please reply
Hey, if you can fit a labeled chart in your notes it is legal. 2 pages notes in ANY FORM from ANY SOURCE. Your MD Star ES needs to read the rules.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
sciencegeek999
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by sciencegeek999 »

I've done this event for invite and Regional comp. My notes were horrible, because I didn't want to be in this event, and I was busy with other events. My school is going to state (for the 6th consecutive year :D ) in 6 weeks and I need better notes. Does anyone know what I should include in my notes? I've competed, but I'm still lost.
foreverphysics
Division: Grad

Post by foreverphysics »

Anything you don't know. A map of the constellations is always a good idea; they tend to use Rey's Constellations, from what I've seen. You should have multiple pictures of all the DSOs, make sure that you have some thermal imaging and x-ray pictures. For the notes, it might be good to just make a chart for the stars, with the magnitudes (absolute AND apparent), luminosity, temperature, constellation, etc.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
sciencegeek999
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by sciencegeek999 »

foreverphysics wrote:Anything you don't know. A map of the constellations is always a good idea; they tend to use Rey's Constellations, from what I've seen. You should have multiple pictures of all the DSOs, make sure that you have some thermal imaging and x-ray pictures. For the notes, it might be good to just make a chart for the stars, with the magnitudes (absolute AND apparent), luminosity, temperature, constellation, etc.
Thanks! Wow, I don't even know what you are talking about for half of the stuff.
foreverphysics

Post by foreverphysics »

sciencegeek999 wrote:
foreverphysics wrote:Anything you don't know. A map of the constellations is always a good idea; they tend to use Rey's Constellations, from what I've seen. You should have multiple pictures of all the DSOs, make sure that you have some thermal imaging and x-ray pictures. For the notes, it might be good to just make a chart for the stars, with the magnitudes (absolute AND apparent), luminosity, temperature, constellation, etc.
Thanks! Wow, I don't even know what you are talking about for half of the stuff.
There are several different systems of constellations: Zodiacal, Astronomical, and Rey's. Rey's is the easiest to ID and better to use; however, there are some charts that are a mix of all three systems. I have a chart like that for my star chart--works very well, it makes everything much easier to ID with just one chart.
DSO=Deep Sky Object. You should be able to search up and find everything via Google Images (ex. search "cassiopeia a x-ray")
Magnitude--basically how bright something is. Absolute is the true brightness. Apparent is how bright it seems from Earth. The lower the magnitude, the brighter it is.
Luminosity--this is based on 1 Sun=1 Luminosity. So a star with 4.5 luminosity would mean that it is 4.5 times as bright, or luminous, as the sun.
Temperature--self explanatory.
Constellation--the constellation each of those stars are in.
Also, include right ascension and declination.
And spectral types too...and distance from Earth. All good things.
:)
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

TheWrightBrother
State: KS

Post by TheWrightBrother »

Anyone have good sites for hr diagram? It was the one thing we missed at regionals.
Southland Invitational 2012:
6th Reach for the Stars
Pembroke Invitational 2012:
5th Reach for the Stars
Regionals 2012:
2nd Reach for the Stars
6th Meteorology
State 2012:
1st Meteorology
---------- Peace Out :geek:
tying15
State: KS

Post by tying15 »

We put down O as the hottest star in the Spectral Classification of Stars and they counted that wrong. What is the right answer?
I got 2nd place in WIDI Kansas state competition in 2010-2011!
foreverphysics

Post by foreverphysics »

Well, O is the classification of the hottest stars...but that's normal classification. Is it possible they were using Yerkes' Spectral Classfication? If so, the answer is Ia.

Return to “2012 Study Events”