bdarji
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by bdarji »

Hello everyone,
My partner and I are very confused because we dont know which map to bring.
Can you please tell us what an AAA map is, where to get it, and which ones to bring?
Links would be appreciated.
:D
Disease, Experimental, Chem of food
silentsage
State: PA

Post by silentsage »

bdarji wrote:Hello everyone,
Can you please tell us what an AAA map is, where to get it, and which ones to bring?
Oh, you might be mistaken. The maps will be provided for at the event (or else you could just study them before). You don't nee to bring any. An AAA map is a highway map printed by the AAA road service provider (it's just a large-scale state highway map).
Road Scholar seems to depress everyone on my team who does it, but it's my favorite event...
I <3 DQIX and Squirtle
2013 RS National Champ
bdarji
State: NY

Post by bdarji »

silentsage wrote:
bdarji wrote:Hello everyone,
Oh, you might be mistaken. The maps will be provided for at the event (or else you could just study them before). You don't nee to bring any. An AAA map is a highway map printed by the AAA road service provider (it's just a large-scale state highway map).
Ohhh, thank you very much. Last year i had to borrow a map from someone who had an "extra" and i assumed that we had to have our own... Thanks for clearing up the confusion :D
Disease, Experimental, Chem of food
SpartanOlympians
State: TX

Post by SpartanOlympians »

Hey guys!

I'm new to Road Scholar this year, and I've already participated in Invitationals. It seemed really easy and fun, so I'm doing it again for Regionals. I have a question about measuring azimuths though. On the Road Scholar Wiki page (scioly.org/wiki/Road_Scholar), you know how there's a map drawing practice? Well, I got to step 6. And I'm confused about that. How do I know which way to hold my protractor? Like do I hold it using the 0 on the outer ring of numbers, or do I hold it with the 0 that's on the inner ring of numbers? And how do I know when to use the outer ring and vice versa?

Any help would be appreciated greatly! Thanks!!

Good luck to all Olympians!!! :D :D :D
Science Olympiad is awesome!!

- Geologic Mapping
- Mission Possible
- Experimental Design
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

SpartanOlympians wrote:Hey guys!

I'm new to Road Scholar this year, and I've already participated in Invitationals. It seemed really easy and fun, so I'm doing it again for Regionals. I have a question about measuring azimuths though. On the Road Scholar Wiki page (scioly.org/wiki/Road_Scholar), you know how there's a map drawing practice? Well, I got to step 6. And I'm confused about that. How do I know which way to hold my protractor? Like do I hold it using the 0 on the outer ring of numbers, or do I hold it with the 0 that's on the inner ring of numbers? And how do I know when to use the outer ring and vice versa?

You hold your protractor on the first point so that the 0 faces north (there will be a compass on any quadrangle). Then, you take a ruler/string, etc. and find the straight-line distance from your protractor to the point you're measuring to. Then, read the protractor to find the number of degrees. Always go in a clockwise circle when reading a 360 degree protractor and finding azimuths; you might end up with an answer such as 200 or 341 degrees.

I don't think using the outer or inner ring matters much since they're oriented in the same position (31 degrees will always be 31 degrees, whether you measure it from the inner or outer ring).
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
SpartanOlympians

fishman100 wrote:
SpartanOlympians wrote:Hey guys!

You hold your protractor on the first point so that the 0 faces north (there will be a compass on any quadrangle). Then, you take a ruler/string, etc. and find the straight-line distance from your protractor to the point you're measuring to. Then, read the protractor to find the number of degrees. Always go in a clockwise circle when reading a 360 degree protractor and finding azimuths; you might end up with an answer such as 200 or 341 degrees.

I don't think using the outer or inner ring matters much since they're oriented in the same position (31 degrees will always be 31 degrees, whether you measure it from the inner or outer ring).

Thanks for your help! But I'm still a little confused. Yes, 31 degrees will always be 31 degrees, but from which angle? Like on the RS Wiki, this is what it had:

6. Draw in a power transmission line which enters 15625" west of the NE corner at an azimuth of 213°

How do I know if they want the line facing NW to SE or from NE to SW

- Geologic Mapping
- Mission Possible
- Experimental Design
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

If I recall correctly from my days in the event, you would start from that spot west of the corner and just go around to 213 degrees, which I believe would be NE to SW. It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure you assume North is 0 degrees.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
SpartanOlympians

zyzzyva98 wrote:If I recall correctly from my days in the event, you would start from that spot west of the corner and just go around to 213 degrees, which I believe would be NE to SW. It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure you assume North is 0 degrees.

See, I thought that the line would be from NE to SW too. Apparently, it's not. Yes, I know that North is 0.

But do you guys see what I mean? Like how do you know whether to start from 0 and go clockwise 213 degrees or to start from 0 and go counterclockwise 213 degrees? I know how to find where to start the line and everything, just not which direction the line should be running.

Thank you guys so much for your help right now! Any other clarifications would be greatly appreciated!

- Geologic Mapping
- Mission Possible
- Experimental Design
fanjiatian

Post by fanjiatian »

If you have two contours that look like a circle within a circle,
how do you know if the inner circle is lower, or higher than the outer circle?

Thanks!
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

If circles bet progressively lower, they should have little hash marks on them that indicate that the circles are a depression:
That way, you know that they get progressively lower. Most circular contours indicate higher elevations, so they're not extremely common, but you will encounter them from time to time. They can also be used as part of the Student-Created Map.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Return to “2012 Study Events”